Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ianhaney

feedback on my store

Hello

I would like to get some feedback on my store please

it is www.irhmedia.co.uk

Where would also be the best on oscommerce forums to advertise the business and promote and maybe sell my products

Thanks

Ian

Contact the osCommerce team about purchasing advertising. Any other form of commercial posting is against the forum rules.

Your Christmas theme is a bit bright, but that's just part of the season. I hope. Consider replacing it with a more business-like theme after the first of the year.

I see a lot of categories with only one product. That's bad design. Either add more products to those categories or consolidate them. Your Categories list is so long that many people will give up before looking through it. As a general rule, the list should fit on one screen without scrolling.

The layout is stock osCommerce. Not bad, but it doesn't do anything to distinguish you from the competition. The header is just a pasted-in logo that doesn't match the site and a lot of empty space (Possibly containing Flash that I can't see.) The result looks amateurish. If I were looking for a product that you sell, I would probably look elsewhere.

I would get rid of the text on the front page (nobody reads that) and add a banner rotator or maybe convert that huge Featured Products box to a side-scroller. It needs something to spice it up.

I advise you to look at successful web stores that sell your products. You can find lists of such businesses with a quick search. Look at what they are doing and use the best ideas in your store.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Hi

Thank you for the feedback really appreciate it, yeah I changed the colours just for the christmas period, i will go back to my normal colours after christmas

When you say consolidate the categories, what do you mean by that

Yeah im not really keen on the menu I tried installing the category accordion menu but it dont work, do you know any other way I could get a nice professional looking menu somehow

I have got rid of the text on the front page and when you say add a banner rotator, is there a add on for that for 2.3.1 and also you mentioned convert the huge featured products to a box scoller how do i do that, is there a add on for that

Thank you for the feedback I do really appreciate it, I want my site to look really good and appealing to buy from

Ian

Hi sorry me again

I was just reading it again and the part you said about the featured products being put into a side scroller, if I do that what could i Put where the featured products are now

Thanks

Ian

Hi I did the consolidating of the categories but the scrolling boxes didnt work for me for some reason

Can you have a look at my site again please www.irhmedia.co.uk

What do you think

Thanks

Ian

I was only offering suggestions. You're not required to do any of those things, they are only ideas you might want to look at.

The categories are much better. At least it's now possible to read the whole thing.

The breadcrumbs bar is still halfway down my big screen. You're wasting half of your screen space on a logo and some stuff that isn't even product related. Go look at the website for a major retailer. You must know of some in your area. Without even looking at the one you select, I'll tell you that the logo and any navigation/generic stuff takes up very little vertical space. Most of the page is devoted to products and special offers designed to get you to look at products. Am I right? Now, why do you think they do that? Sounds like a good idea to me.

Another thing to consider is the type of products you are selling. While some businesses need to appear solid and conservative, your products probably need a store that is a bit flashier to attract the type of people who would buy from you. Again, go look at some major retailers that sell your type of products. Look at how their pages are put together. What does each element do? Where does your eye go when you first look at the page? What do you think is important, and what is merely stuck in a corner because it needs to be on the page somewhere? It should be fairly obvious. Note that these businesses probably spend more on web design than your store will ever make in profit, so take advantage of what you can learn for free.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Your website is looking good but you should more improve your website's design. It should give a professional look. Your website's page rank is not bad but you should focus on SEO techniques. SEO techniques would be helpful to improve your website's page rank and to get more traffic.

Hello Ianhaney,

I have gone through your website, and found several good products on the website.

FYI just take it as suggestion if you would like to: You should make your website a little professional and change it's color and texting (header) specially. It will make your website look more professional and product specific.

Regarding Advertisement, there are several classified ADs posting websites, where you can add your ads for particular product for sell.

Do not mind it.

Thanks!