• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Help Please! Paypal Express - Disable Guest Checkout?

taitaiji

Hey there,

I am getting a little frustrated with the Paypal Express Option in my OsC 2.3.1

If I click the option -OR- check out with Paypal (instead of the check out button) without being registered, it returns the item and shipping price without tax!

This does not happen when logged in however.

- Is there a way to disable the guest check out option alltogether?

I would prefer the customers to log in anyways and this tax thing is driving me nuts....

Any help is much appreciated!

Cheerio

Tai

• 1 month later...

In case you are still looking for this solution, it was posted on another post but here it is:

Whoever wants to get rid of the guest checking out option with paypal express without loosing the payment option in later checkout do the following:

(Always backup your file before making any changes to it...)

delete from >catalog >shopping_cart.php

<?php

$initialize_checkout_methods = $payment_modules->checkout_initialization_method();

if (!empty($initialize_checkout_methods)) {

?>

<p align="right" style="clear: both; padding: 15px 50px 0 0;"><?php echo TEXT_ALTERNATIVE_CHECKOUT_METHODS; ?></p>

<?php

reset($initialize_checkout_methods);

while (list(, $value) = each($initialize_checkout_methods)) {

?>

<p align="right"><?php echo $value; ?></p>

<?php

}

}

?>

Cheers

Dan

• 2 years later...

Hi Harald - Good to hear from you !

I did. I have set shipping rates for my products (domestic & foreign). So, domestic = $5 and foreign = $10

When someone came on the site, and did not register an osc account and hit the PayPal button the rate they would get quoted was the foreign rate even though they were domestic. History showed that if the transaction was completed they would be charged the correct rate but PayPal would actually still show the incorrect rate.

My layman's conclusion was that the proper rate could not be calculated because the store did not know their shipping address. My conclusion could easily be wrong, but taking out the PayPal button forces them to create an account on the store and then this information is probably passed to PayPal when they checkout and thus, they get the right shipping rate quoted to them.

As mentioned, I don't understand how the underlying code works but this issue cropped up again this morning and the customer was good enough to spend as much time as needed as a guinea pig for me to follow it through.

Best & Thanks;
Marvin
----------------------
osCommerce 2.3.3.4 

Did you try the Instant Update feature of the module? It can be enabled in the module configuration page.

If enabled, as soon as the customer logs in at PayPal at the start of the Express Checkout flow, PayPal sends a request to your store containing the customers shipping address to receive a list of shipping rates available for the shipping address and presents this to the customer.

The Instant Update feature requires SSL to be enabled on the store.

:heart:, osCommerce

Aha - no I did not try that. I don't have SSL enabled on the site at present due to some unique issues (my FQDN does not match my domain name so any certificates will likely cause error messages). It sounds like you have the proper answer to the issue though I just can't make use of it!

Best & Thanks;
Marvin
----------------------
osCommerce 2.3.3.4 

You should look into it as it is a nice convenience for the customer. Having SSL on a subdomain is no problem for OSCOM - this is how the demo site is actually setup http://demo.oscommerce.com and https://ssl.oscommerce.com/demo/2/

v2.3.4 will include updated modules and also introduces Log In with PayPal. This will come in handy for you as the customers shipping address is known when they log in using Log In with PayPal.

Try it out on the demo site :)

:heart:, osCommerce

• 2 months later...

Hi Harald!

So...if a person logs in with PayPal then it pulls their address information into the site?

Also, does it then automatically create a site account for them?

I'm looking at upgrading from 2.3.3.4 to 2.3.4

Best & Thanks;
Marvin
----------------------
osCommerce 2.3.3.4