• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Question about which Paypal to use.

PGelsman

I own a download site where my customers buy a manual online and then after payment, get a link to download it in OSC.

When I had my store redone late last year, what I wanted was for my customers who had a Paypal account to be able to use that, and other customers who didn't have a PP account, would input their credit card details, then OSC would go to PayPal, process the payment, and then the customer would come back to my site and the link would be there to download.

Now, after 9 months of operation, I find that ALL my customers have to input their credit card details, then it goes to Paypal, they pay and come back to my site and download.

So my question is, which module do I need have it both ways, Those with PP accounts can use Paypal, and those without PP account use their credit cards.

Thank you in advance,

PGelsman justmanuals.com

For oscommerce 2.2 use PayPal IPN

For oscommerce 2.3 use PayPal Standard

Those will "automatically" store the order with a status of "PayPal Pending", then send the customer to PayPal to complete the payment...they can choose to pay by cc or PayPal funds ... when payment is completed the status of the order will be automatically updated.

For 2.2 you will need to download PayPal IPN from the add-ons aria and install it at your site.

Now, after 9 months of operation, I find that ALL my customers have to input their credit card details, then it goes to Paypal, they pay and come back to my site and download.

So my question is, which module do I need have it both ways, Those with PP accounts can use Paypal, and those without PP account use their credit cards.

The Paypal Standard module works for all oscommerce versions and is the most stable so I suggest using it. But that is not really the issue. The option to allow your customers to pay without an account is a setting in your paypal account. You need to enable it there.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack_mcs, I currently use the paypal standard module but I find two issues with it...1) the auto return from paypal does not always complete for some reason (what I think this might be is being on a mobile device or tablet) and the order will not be placed and 2) I get duplicate orders placed on the return from paypal (no rhyme or reason for that one). I am looking for a more stable solution and from what I can figure out the ability to pre-write the order, send them to paypal, and then have paypal send back a response once payment is completed to me via API call so the order is then written seems like it would solve everything. BUT, there are SO many modules out there I do not know which is the best to use to do that. Any thoughts?

Thank you-

Heather

Jack_mcs, I currently use the paypal standard module but I find two issues with it...1) the auto return from paypal does not always complete for some reason (what I think this might be is being on a mobile device or tablet) and the order will not be placed and 2) I get duplicate orders placed on the return from paypal (no rhyme or reason for that one). I am looking for a more stable solution and from what I can figure out the ability to pre-write the order, send them to paypal, and then have paypal send back a response once payment is completed to me via API call so the order is then written seems like it would solve everything. BUT, there are SO many modules out there I do not know which is the best to use to do that. Any thoughts?

Thank you-

Heather

I've never heard of either problem happening with that module (assuming you are using the one by Harold) so I can't really offer any suggestions. I can say that it is the only module I install when someone asks for a basic paypal module and no one has ever had permanent problems with it. Some had initial problems but that was because their paypal options were not setup correctly and/or they didn't have the send extra order options set, which is needed for that module.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

The Paypal Standard module works for all oscommerce versions and is the most stable so I suggest using it. But that is not really the issue. The option to allow your customers to pay without an account is a setting in your paypal account. You need to enable it there.

Jack - Thank you for the reply. Since Paypal's help system really sucks, can you tell me where in Paypal I would do this?

Thank you in advance.

PGelsman

I've never heard of either problem happening with that module (assuming you are using the one by Harold) so I can't really offer any suggestions. I can say that it is the only module I install when someone asks for a basic paypal module and no one has ever had permanent problems with it. Some had initial problems but that was because their paypal options were not setup correctly and/or they didn't have the send extra order options set, which is needed for that module.

Thank you for the response. Can you tell me which module you are referring to by Harold so I can double check to make sure I am using the correct one?

Thank you for the response. Can you tell me which module you are referring to by Harold so I can double check to make sure I am using the correct one?

There's only one named paypal standard and uploaded by him.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons