Latest News: (loading..)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oscommerce21

2.2RC2a to 3.0.2 step-by-step Manual or Plugin?

13 posts in this topic

Folks!

There are hundreds of websites still on 2.2RC2a.

Many are getting errors related to resent server php and MySQL updates.

I did installation, configuration and maintenance up to 2.2RC2a version myself.

Instructions for 2.3 update is out of reach for me and for many: http://www.oscommerc.../v2.2+to+v2.3.0

The entire Russian osCommerce community has been simply frozen or left the project around your version 3 alpha :

http://translate.goo...en&hl=&ie=UTF-8 (BTW, it is one the largest internet communities in the world)

In fact, I was suggested by several installers to consider moving to other platforms...

Please suggest if SIMPLE step-by-step manual is in works, or some plug-and-play update plugin will be available in the coming future.

So far, a victim of 2.3 update:

http://is.gd/d98Ogu

Thank you!

Install a brand new shop using 2.31 , then just import over the products/categories/customers/orders from the old shop using PHPmyadmin.

I agree with Nicks recommendation. Using the update path supplied with the osCommerce v2.3.1 download more than often leaves your cart unstable. Not because the update instructions aren't accurate but because all / any installed contributions also need to be updated and often modified to properly function within the structure of v2.3.1.

Chris

Install a brand new shop using 2.31 , then just import over the products/categories/customers/orders from the old shop using PHPmyadmin.

Toy, thank you.

It makes http://www.oscommerc.../v2.2+to+v2.3.0 instructions of "perform only (SQL) Database Changes and use the database with a new v2.3 installation." very misleading and simply scary for many.

Let me confirm what I have understood from your suggestion:

Part I - move from v2.2 to v2.3.1

1. Backup v2.2 SELECTED MySQL fields: products/categories/customers/orders.

2. Install fresh v2.3.1

3. restore products/categories/customers/orders from the back-up.

Now we have working v2.3.1.

Part II - move from v2.3.1 to 3.xx

1. - ?

2. - ?

Please confirm.

Hm, seems we are not creating working "dummies" update manual http://forums.oscommerce.com//public/style_emoticons/default/innocent.gif

Thank you!

There is NO v3.x at this time. The download is only the framework which developers are building on. So, update to v2.3.1 and WAIT for v3.x to be released.

Chris

Dun, it is simply CRAZY.

osCommrce page http://www.oscommerc...tions/downloads does not say anywhere that 3.x was not released yet, or Developers only...

The developers have been asked on more than one occasion to make a reference in the download area that version 3 is only for developers. It would appear that for some reason they would sooner cause confusion that add a simple short message. Your guess is as good as mine as to why this cannot or will not be done. I suppose what the design team want is for people to download the latest version, find that it does not work, and then go on to download another free cart.

This is actually a nightmare....!!!! I have now spent over 8 hours trying to fix a non-functioning 2.2 installation, which will no longer run on my PHP5 server. Nothing seems to work, and I have no idea why it stopped working. There doesn't seem to be any more support for version 2.2?

I tried to move my installation to a new server intact, and was able to actually get the home page to appear. However, none of the category links worked, and I really couldn't navigate anywhere, nor add anything new to the database.

Next, I tried to install a new version 2.3.1, which installed easily. However, migrating the database from the 2.2 version seems next to impossible. The method that Nick mentioned above simply doesn't work.

I am just about ready to five up and move on to a different product that actually works, and is supported.

@@jgwalter,

osCommerce 2.2 and 2.3.1 are supported on this forum, by VOLUNTEERS so when you don't receive an immediately reply, it means nobody is around to help at that time.

As Nick suggested above, the best way is to create a new v2.3.1 site and then integrate your current database into the new site. TRY TO DO IT ! Then post any error messages or issues so we can help you with them.

Chris

@@jgwalter,

osCommerce 2.2 and 2.3.1 are supported on this forum, by VOLUNTEERS so when you don't receive an immediately reply, it means nobody is around to help at that time.

As Nick suggested above, the best way is to create a new v2.3.1 site and then integrate your current database into the new site. TRY TO DO IT ! Then post any error messages or issues so we can help you with them.

Chris

@@DunWeb,

I am aware that it is volunteer-supported, and have no complaint about that. However, your response is not helpful at all, only critical. I think my explanation of my frustration was accurate. I'VE TRIED TRO DO A NUMER OF THINGS.

Here is my exact situation:

1. I've had a running 2.2 installation for several years on a server, that some time ago was upgraded to PHP5. At that time, OSC presented some problems, which I believe were remedied with an added PHP.ini file.

2. Now, for no known reason, the installation has stopped working, returning the following error: http://redlinephotos.com/catalog/ Addressing the Register Globals issue, either in .htaccess, or in a separate php.ini file only produces a different internal server misconfiguration.

3. After not having any luck fixing that problem, I decided to try to move the installation to a different server, also PHP5 however. The move seems to go OK, and the home page displayed. However, none of the category links worked, and I could not write anything new to the DB. I investigated path issues in both configure files, and fixed any errors. Still no luck.

4. Next, I tried installing a new 2.3.1 installation, which went OK, however, on my latest effort, I cannot get the admin login to work. It just keeps telling me it is incorrect, when I know it is correct.

5. On the the one time that I was able to get both the front and back end to work on this new installation, I tried to migrate the old 2.2 database tables, just as Nick described above. That did not work at all, as there seems to be a LOT more going on that just the four tables that he mentioned.

Right now, I am taking a break from this, but before I give up completely, I am hoping that somebody can offer some insight on how to best proceed?

Thanks.

@@jgwalter,

Hi John,

If you received the register_globals error, then you likely have a MS2 website. That being said, there is no upgrade path to v2.3.1. So, your only option at that point is to install v2.3.1, as you did.

The problem arises trying to integrate your current database into the new installation. As you pointed out, that can be tricky. However, not impossible. It will take some time but you can definitely accomplish it.

Chris

@@jgwalter,

Hi John,

If you received the register_globals error, then you likely have a MS2 website. That being said, there is no upgrade path to v2.3.1. So, your only option at that point is to install v2.3.1, as you did.

The problem arises trying to integrate your current database into the new installation. As you pointed out, that can be tricky. However, not impossible. It will take some time but you can definitely accomplish it.

Chris

@@DunWeb,

Thanks, Chris..... at least this confirms that I should abandon efforts to salvage the old shop.

Therefore, can you offer any advice on a path to integration of the old DB? I suspect that I should just go through it table by table, but I am not adept enough at MySql to understand the indexing, etc. On my initial efforts, I was getting some errors that I didn't understand, and even when I didn't I was unable to get some items to display, while others did.

I took a look at Easy Populate, and it seems like an entire new project to learn, and I am not sure I am ready for that. I am guessing from what I've read here, that a simple table import will not work?

Easy Populate is completely different and not applicable to migrating from 2.2 to 2.3.1. Forget about it until you have your 2.3.1 store up and running.

Basically, you install a fresh 2.3.1. Make note of the database structure, either by doing a backup with table structure (which you should know how to do anyway) or looking at the installation package's oscommerce.sql file. Make note of the old (2.2) database structure in the same way. Compare notes and determine what the differences are (i.e., what changes need to be made to the old database). Back up (and check) the old store's database. At this point you can do one of two things:

1. Delete the new installation's database and modify the configure.php files to point to the old database. Using phpMyAdmin, manually make the necessary changes to bring the old database's structure and data into conformance with the new structure. I don't know if there's an "upgrade" script to convert the old database to the new (there ought to be, if there isn't!).
  2. Take the old database's backup (.sql file) and use a good editor (Notepad++ or ViM) to manually edit its structure to match the new database format. You may need to add new default values to the INSERT statements, and maybe change some old ones. It depends on the exact structure of the backup you have. At any rate, you end up with a modified backup in the format of the new (2.3.1) database. Finally, you can import (restore) it over the new (demo) database. Depending on the nature of the backup, you may have to first manually empty out existing tables, or even delete them.

Needless to say, the above requires someone comfortable with directly dealing with MySQL databases, either using the phpMyAdmin tool to modify and add tables, or manually editing the backup (.sql) file. There's got to be an upgrade tool floating around somewhere -- if it's not in the 2.3.1 installation, see if there's an add-on (contribution) for upgrading 2.2 to 2.3.1 and take just the database upgrade script from there. And in any case, back up any live shop database before making any changes to it! If you screw up badly, you'll want to be able to roll back to the old shop while you get it together.