• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Database Changes

ctlee15

Hello All,

Ok, I am almost there with the installation. I am not able to wrap my head around the following instruction:

Database Changes

Step 15:

Now you need to create the database table that will be holding the featured products. To do so, you will need to run the featured_products_english.sql file's contents in your favorite sql interface (like phpmyadmin) to your existing database.

To my understanding, I am to do the following:

1. Open phpmyadmin

2. Click on the existing (i.e. osc1) database

3. Click on Import

4. Select the featured_products_english.sql

These actions will run the file contents in the selected sql database. Is this correct??

Best,

Christopher

Christopher,

That is correct.

Chris

Chris,

If I want 9 Featured Products displayed instead of 6, which file would I need to modify? I think I can locate the particular line once I know the correct file..

Thank you in advance.

Christopher

Most likely you now have a setting in admin somewhere under configuration where you can set number of featured products

Christopher,

There is a setting as Nick Suggested, it is in admin under configuration>> Featured Products

Chris

Thank you Nick and Chris. The solution was in plain sight. Maybe I have been in front of this screen too long..

Best,

Christopher

Christopher,

I know the feeling, for the past 5 weeks I have been working on a 36 site project and putting in 15-20 hour days to complete the project on time. So far, so good and I hope to actually complete the project 2 days ahead of schedule.

Chris

Christopher,

I know the feeling, for the past 5 weeks I have been working on a 36 site project and putting in 15-20 hour days to complete the project on time. So far, so good and I hope to actually complete the project 2 days ahead of schedule.

Chris

Chris,

You are a trooper. I am glad to see that you are looking to finish you project early. I try to figure these things out on my own but am glad that we have this forum for times when I am stuck.

There is one post that I have not received much response to. I wanted to get your suggested on the appropriate forum or whether you encountered this issue and could offer advice. I am attempting to add additional text to the Contact Us page and am having trouble. This what I did:

1. I added a text define to includes/languages/english/contact_us.php

2. I added in a call for the text define in the main file contact_us.php

This process adds the text but totally rearranges the boxes (columns)on the left and right side of the page.

Best,

Christopher

Best,

Christopher

Christopher,

You code edits to the contact_us.php file has to integrate into the existing file structure. For example, this is some of the standard code of the contact_us.php file:

<div class="contentContainer">

<div class="contentText">

<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">

<tr>

<td class="fieldKey"><?php echo ENTRY_NAME; ?></td>

<td class="fieldValue"><?php echo tep_draw_input_field('name'); ?></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td class="fieldKey"><?php echo ENTRY_EMAIL; ?></td>

<td class="fieldValue"><?php echo tep_draw_input_field('email'); ?></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td class="fieldKey" valign="top"><?php echo ENTRY_ENQUIRY; ?></td>

<td class="fieldValue"><?php echo tep_draw_textarea_field('enquiry', 'soft', 50, 15); ?></td>

</tr>

</table>

</div>

To add information you must either create a new container or integrate the added information into the existing container. My suggestion is that if you are adding a mailing address or your company telephone number that you create a new container and place it above the existing container.

You don't necessarily have to create definitions in the language file to add such things, you COULD hard code it into the contact_us.php file as it is not likely something that you will have to change on a regular basis. If it is something you want to change often, then you may want to create an Admin controlled field for it.

Chris