• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Nothing works with Swedish lang-pack

I've been checking the net för a week now for a solution to this and it's getting more and more frustrating.

How do I make the swedish lang work on osCommerce 2.3.1? Iv'e read alot of different guides, but nothing works.

Ive tried changing the files as described in ISO-8859-1 & UTF-8 Dual Support. Iv'e checked if the files are UTF-8 and well, I tried every last thing I could find, and nothing works!

I have managed to make the site show the swedish letters, making the site somewhat swedish. But when I use the swedish lang pack noone can login to their account or create a new one. All you see is "white screen of death".

Everything have been tried on a fresh install and without any modules or plugins (besides the ones included in the original packade).

Seriously. There gotta be an easy way to fix this, right? That or a tip on some other open-source e-commerce that works with swe lang.

Please, need help here... :S

I checked with dreamweaver (since somone said so somewhere) and I've checked with Notepad++. Seems to be. I am a total noob at this. I've managed to get woprdpress, joomla and drupal up and running without much knowledge thrue trial-and-error and reading forums and guides, but I haven't found any working solution for this.

My php-skills are limited to being able to figuring out some of the code when reading it and by serching on it on the net, but I have zero real knowledge of php.

What files except swedish.php do I need to check btw?

It says in both swedish.php files (admin and includes):

// charset for web pages and emails

define('CHARSET', 'utf-8');

That should mean its utf-8 or am I lost here?

Ps. I could see that you made your site work in swedish. Did you have to change anything and if so, you don't happen to have those files lying around? :P

Edited by MikaelGuggenheim

The white screen means that you have errors. Check the languages files that you uploaded; the file size should be the same as the files on your local drive. If not, the file is corrupted and needs to be reloaded.

If this only happens on certain pages, check that the language files exist for those pages in your swedish directory. Missing files can be replaced by a copy of the English files and then translated.

If none of my guesses are correct, you need to find out what the errors are. Ask your host where the PHP error logs are. Look for Fatal errors associated with the pages where you are having problems.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

I found the errors.

Some of the files had "include unicode signature (BOM)". Missed that one. I don't get why they had it thought. If someone release a language pack they should notice that it doesn't work, right?

Removed it from all files with Replace Pioneer (http://www.mind-pioneer.com). Going through every file with dreamweaver to find the files that needed to have it removed would have taken ages (There was about 35 out of the 195 files that needed to be fixed).

So, if anyone ever need to do what I had to, then I'd advice you to use that program or something similar. It's not shareware but it did it for me without having to buy the program.

Thanks for the quick replies thought. :)

Godmorning Mikael,

Glad you could fix it.

I converted the entire site to utf-8 the correct way. Meaning no dual support of character encoding. Dual support is bound to cause problems. Also I do not use Dreamweaver, which is known to cause problems. As an option to Replace Pioneer may I suggest pspad, its free and far better.

When I get time I will write an addon on how to convert to utf-8, from any encoding. At the moment I'm to busy with a SEO issue with v2.3.x.

That will also become a contribution.

Sara

Well. My languagefiles are fixed now. I believe you when you say pspad is better than pioneer. Pioneer was the first thing I found that did the job thought when I did a google search for any program that converted the file as a batchjob. (Hehe I notice that I need to train my English skills :P). Pioneer wasn't the easiest program to use thought since the ui was quite messy.

I only used Dreamweaver to check the files, not to fix it. The only times I really used Dreamweaver was when I did a quick page with links/screens of my daughters favorite sites. Just so she could have them collected on one simple startpage (she's only seven). I use Notepad++ for most things I do. My "non-knowledge" of coding makes it perfekt for me since I mostly just edit codes in CMS's. I learned basic html-coding during the beginning of y2k and I'ver read up on some CSS coding. Thats it. I love to solve puzzles thought so I usually manage by trying and googling. :P

I still wonder why osCommerce have to make it so difficult thought. And I've read some about PHP 5 not supporting utf-8 to good. But heck, I don't know. :P

I am grateful for all the help tho. :)