• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Need something similar to Family Product without STS

SSCraft

Hello :)

I have an oscommerce craft shop which a web person has done for me. If I find a practical problem when selling things I usually find an add on that I think will fix it and the web person puts on the add on (ie read from all of that i'm not technical i'm just trying to sell stuff!).

My problem is that I have 1000's of products and I want to select different products that work well together eg Fabric A coordinates with Fabric B and also Ribbon C. I have Related Products on my site but it is far too time consuming to select each product and coordinating product.

I thought i'd finally found the answer with a Family Product module which seemed to allow me to:

- Quickly select products from different categories (hopefully a check box system);

- Create them as a family (I assumed I could name them family 1, 2 etc so I could have lots of different families); and

- The products in each 'family' will then show up on each others' pages much like Related Products are displayed.

Unfortunately the web person tells me it cant be install as it is based upon the STS (Simple Template System) framework and my site isn't built on STS.

Is there anything else out there that I can use to group products from different categories together easily which is not based on STS?

Any info or leads I can look into gratefully received x

Hello :)

I have an oscommerce craft shop which a web person has done for me. If I find a practical problem when selling things I usually find an add on that I think will fix it and the web person puts on the add on (ie read from all of that i'm not technical i'm just trying to sell stuff!).

My problem is that I have 1000's of products and I want to select different products that work well together eg Fabric A coordinates with Fabric B and also Ribbon C. I have Related Products on my site but it is far too time consuming to select each product and coordinating product.

I thought i'd finally found the answer with a Family Product module which seemed to allow me to:

- Quickly select products from different categories (hopefully a check box system);

- Create them as a family (I assumed I could name them family 1, 2 etc so I could have lots of different families); and

- The products in each 'family' will then show up on each others' pages much like Related Products are displayed.

Unfortunately the web person tells me it cant be install as it is based upon the STS (Simple Template System) framework and my site isn't built on STS.

Is there anything else out there that I can use to group products from different categories together easily which is not based on STS?

Any info or leads I can look into gratefully received x

Master products maybe

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/1681 for RC2.2a

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7738 for 2.3.x

I use family products for quite some time, i also have master products but family products is much more flexible and less infringing on your existing setup.

installing family products on the admin side is a separate set of pages, master products requires changing the categories.php page and is rather difficult/error prone if you have other customizations already.

on the datalog side family products is a module that you include on product_info.php

master products requires changes to at least index.php and modules/product_listing.php and product_info.php

I do not use STS, I suppose later versions for STS might have been released, but if your coder can't figure out how to install this without STS, I think IMHO you should find another coder, a bit harsh, but certainly if you are paying for a job, you should find someone qualified to do the job. If someone is just helping you out pro-bono, I take my words back, we all do the best we can ...

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

I use family products for quite some time, i also have master products but family products is much more flexible and less infringing on your existing setup.

installing family products on the admin side is a separate set of pages, master products requires changing the categories.php page and is rather difficult/error prone if you have other customizations already.

on the datalog side family products is a module that you include on product_info.php

master products requires changes to at least index.php and modules/product_listing.php and product_info.php

I do not use STS, I suppose later versions for STS might have been released, but if your coder can't figure out how to install this without STS, I think IMHO you should find another coder, a bit harsh, but certainly if you are paying for a job, you should find someone qualified to do the job. If someone is just helping you out pro-bono, I take my words back, we all do the best we can ...

Thanks Carine,

To be fair he said it would take a long time as my site is not built on STS. As I said i'm not technical just trying to find the easiest way of doing things.

The Master/Servant thing would only really work for me if the whole thing of having buy all at once was only on the M/S pages and that didn't change the rest of my website.

My website is HIGHLY customised so I think I may have problems with the Master idea.

Any other ideas out there?