• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Credit Card Payment

grimesalex

I am working on a website for a company that runs there own credit cards in the office. I am trying to find information or a contribution that will work with the latest oscommerce program that will give the credit card information to the site owner to process the card manually. Please get back to me I am in a pinch.

If your site processes or stores CC info you'd better be PCI Compliant ( <= it's a link, click it to read more).

If you violate the PCI mandates and are caught fines can run in the hundreds of thousands of dollars and you can be banned from getting a merchant account for life...

:o

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

If your site processes or stores CC info you'd better be PCI Compliant ( <= it's a link, click it to read more).

If you violate the PCI mandates and are caught fines can run in the hundreds of thousands of dollars and you can be banned from getting a merchant account for life...

:o

The way I understand what is listed on the PCI Security Standards Council website. Any merchant that accepts credit cards is required to be PCI Compliant, whether they are getting the information themselves of running the cards through a third party like PayPal. This is my interpretation, I could be wrong.

The PCI requirements are much more complex if you "store" the info for manual processing.

If you use a payment gateway and just transmit the info then its fairly easy to be PCI compliant.

• 5 weeks later...

Peter's link only applies to Australian companies

Chris

No Chris, I believe you can be in any country and still use it. I found the following in their "About e-Path" page ...

e-Path also provides our payment gateway service to business owners outside Australia that have merchant account facilities with banks in New Zealand, United Kingdom, Europe, South Africa, United States and Canada. Just like a fax machine or a telephone e-Path knows no borders.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

did anyone ever mention how to accept credit cards manually...got it have to be PCI compliant...In version 2.3... it doesn't have a module like the old version did where it asked for all the credit card info but didn't process it.

• 2 weeks later...

did anyone ever mention how to accept credit cards manually...got it have to be PCI compliant...In version 2.3... it doesn't have a module like the old version did where it asked for all the credit card info but didn't process it.

You can't do this anymore without being fully PCI compliant certified. Your cart will need to be on a dedicated server which has its own dedicated hardware firewall if you are wanting to temporarily or permanently store cc data. This is why OSC gives the warning "Not for commercial use" etc on their manual module. There are a host of other requirements such as network security, security policies management etc but I won't get into any of that now.

I know it all sounds painfully over the top and pretty ridiculous but I'm only telling you how it is. At the end of the day it's your choice. But all it takes is one card holder questioning things with the appropriate authority and you could be in serious hot water if you are using the manual module and are not fully PCI compliant certified to do so.

You really can't mess with cc data any longer. Things have changed and while I personally don't think they have changed for the better the fact is that's the way it is now.

If you are a developer who creates an OSC site for your website customer that uses the manual module and you've blatantly ignored the need for PCI compliance certification then in my opinion you deserve to be hit bloody hard. That would be pure negligence on your part. As well as possibly having to face a fine and/or a penality or having your ability to process Visa and Mstercard transactions withdrawn your own site customer could sue the hell out of you.

I'd advise you (and everyone else) to play safe and simply use a proper PCI compliant manual payment gateway. Easy, safe and cheap, you don't have a worry in the world and you can charge cards offline manually like what you are wanting to do. Or use Pay Pal or use a real time payment processing gateway.

It is just not worth the risk anymore.

That's my 2c worth anyway.

Edited by HappyPappy