• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Add More Fields

This addon allows you to easily add, and manage, fields to the products and products_description tables in the database. If you have a compatible version of Easy Populate installed, it will allow you to manage the custom fields in it too. Once installed, you don't have to edit any of your files to use the new fields, though that is possible. Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't installed it yet, but the instructions on how to test the install seem to be copied from another contribution

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

I just checked and all of the instructions apply to this contribution. Please point out that parts that seem wrong to you. Maybe I'm missing the obvious.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

I just checked and all of the instructions apply to this contribution. Please point out that parts that seem wrong to you. Maybe I'm missing the obvious.

Bottom of the install file says:

===============================================================================

That completes the installation. To test it, first go to admin->Modules->Order Total

and install the Easy Discount module. Set the sort order to something between

those set for the sub total and tax settings. You may need to increase the sort

orders for tax and total to have it work properly. I suggest these settings:

Easy Discount 3

Shipping 2

Sub Total 1

Tax 800

Total 900

Then go to admin->Daily Specials and setup a banner. Two examples banners are

included for testing. There is a test option that will prevent the banner from

being seen by anyone but the shop owner. Once they are setup as you like, go to

admin->Configuration->Daily Specials and enable the module. Then go to your shop

to see how it appears. Instructions are provided in mouse-over popups. Just place

your mouse over the item you are interested in and a popup with instructions will

appear.

===============================================================================

The support thread is located at:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/377083-add-more-fields/

Anyway Jack :) thank you very much for taking the effort for making another contribution! Going to try it today. Thanks again... Petra

You're welcome. :)

I was looking at the code changes part of the instructions and stopped before I reached the bottom. Thanks for pointing that out. Until a new version is uploaded, the text should read:

That completes the installation. To test it, please go to admin->Catalog->Add More Fields and add a field to the database. Fields that will be displayed on the site

should be created as product description fields if your site uses multiple languages. Once you have added a field, please go to a products edit page and you should see

the new field there.

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

A new version has been uploaded with these changes:

- Corrected the install instructions.

- Changed how auto-insert code work.

- Added code to the product_info.php page to allow the auto-insert option to work.

The biggest change is with the auto insert code. I didn't realize I forgot to add that code. It allows the new field to be updated automatically via the products description. That use is optional and requires the use of a special syntax. See the instructions in admin->Catalog->Add More Fields for an example.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

A new version has been uploaded with the following changes:

- Added error/success display when editing fields

- Changed symbols used for replacement in product_info to ##

- Fixed table changes for varchar fields

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack, Thanks again for this contribution.

I have installed the latest version and it all seems to work. I have created a new field named EAN since i want to use it to add EAN codes to the product in my store. The extra field shows in the edit product page in the admin. I can enter the EAN code in there. But then i get lost...I would like the EAN code to show as well with the product on the shop side.

I have typed ##+EAN##- into the product description of the product but on the shop side it then shows exactly (##+EAN##-)that as well.

Obviously i am misunderstanding your instructions.

Could you help me out with this?

Thanks in advance

Petra

Jack, Thanks again for this contribution.

I have installed the latest version and it all seems to work. I have created a new field named EAN since i want to use it to add EAN codes to the product in my store. The extra field shows in the edit product page in the admin. I can enter the EAN code in there. But then i get lost...I would like the EAN code to show as well with the product on the shop side.

I have typed ##+EAN##- into the product description of the product but on the shop side it then shows exactly (##+EAN##-)that as well.

Obviously i am misunderstanding your instructions.

Could you help me out with this?

It sounds like you are doing everything correctly. All I can think of is that the name you use in the product description is the name displayed for the new field so be sure the display name of the new field is what you are using. For example, when you crated the new field, you may have entered "ean" for the field name but "ean name" for the display name. Also, the field should be assigned to the products description table. If you assigned it the products table, then go into admin->Catalog->Add more Fields and edit it to change the table.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

It sounds like you are doing everything correctly. All I can think of is that the name you use in the product description is the name displayed for the new field so be sure the display name of the new field is what you are using. For example, when you crated the new field, you may have entered "ean" for the field name but "ean name" for the display name. Also, the field should be assigned to the products description table. If you assigned it the products table, then go into admin->Catalog->Add more Fields and edit it to change the table.

Thanks Jack, i've used the field name in stead of the display name. Changed it into the display name and It works now!

Using this for EAN codes might not be a very good idea of me. Now i have to type in the ##+"fieldname"##- code into every product description and the actual code in the value box as well......

Must be an easier way to do this i guess..

Anyway..thanks for another great contribution. Now i have to fry my brain over how to get the EAN code, made with this contrib, intergrate with your google base feeder :)

Petra

Edited by Petra_Dutch

Thanks Jack, i've used the field name in stead of the display name. Changed it into the display name and It works now!

Using this for EAN codes might not be a very good idea of me. Now i have to type in the ##+"fieldname"##- code into every product description and the actual code in the value box as well......

Must be an easier way to do this i guess..

Anyway..thanks for another great contribution. Now i have to fry my brain over how to get the EAN code, made with this contrib, intergrate with your google base feeder :)

Petra

Using the option to add it to the products description is just a quick and easy way of getting the value of the field on the products page. For more control, you can add code to the products page to display the value wherever you want it.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Using the option to add it to the products description is just a quick and easy way of getting the value of the field on the products page. For more control, you can add code to the products page to display the value wherever you want it.

I will give that a try Jack. Thanks!

Petra

You're welcome. :)

I was looking at the code changes part of the instructions and stopped before I reached the bottom. Thanks for pointing that out. Until a new version is uploaded, the text should read:

That completes the installation. To test it, please go to admin->Catalog->Add More Fields and add a field to the database. Fields that will be displayed on the site

should be created as product description fields if your site uses multiple languages. Once you have added a field, please go to a products edit page and you should see

the new field there.

Jack, found a few tiny typos in the instructions. Nothing major. just some feedback...

point 3 in the instructions. should be: admin/includes/boxes/catalog.php

point 8 should be: product_info.php

and: FIND (around line 15):

and the last thing: the link "visit the support thread" links to the support tread of your header tags SEO support thread.

The contribution works perfect Jack. thanks!

Petra

Jack, found a few tiny typos in the instructions. Nothing major. just some feedback...

point 3 in the instructions. should be: admin/includes/boxes/catalog.php

point 8 should be: product_info.php

and: FIND (around line 15):

and the last thing: the link "visit the support thread" links to the support tread of your header tags SEO support thread.

The contribution works perfect Jack. thanks!

Petra

Thank you for the feedback, I do appreciate it. The changes have been made and will appear in the next version.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 1 month later...

Hi Jack hope your well.

Just a quick questrion about this contribution.

What I want to do is have a box on each product page which will say either, VAT relief is available on this item or VAT relief is NOT available on this item. Ideally this would be next to the price. I have Easy Populate installed.

You can see an example on a webstore I found at;

http://www.mobilitysmart.cc/sticks-crutches-canes/crutches/closed-cuff-crutches/double-adjustable-elbow-crutches-p-14286.html

http://www.mobilitysmart.cc/wheelchair-accessories/bags/deluxe-coloured-wheelchair-bags-p-15508.html

Would this contribution do what I am after?

Thanks

It will allow you add the database field, which can then be set in the products page in admin. If you set the new field to VAT relief is available on this item or VAT relief is NOT available on this item and then add a statement to the products description to automatically include the fields data with something like ##+Name of FieldS##, it will display it as you like. If you want it to display somewhere other than the products description, then you will need to make a code change on the product page.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

It will allow you add the database field, which can then be set in the products page in admin. If you set the new field to VAT relief is available on this item or VAT relief is NOT available on this item and then add a statement to the products description to automatically include the fields data with something like ##+Name of FieldS##, it will display it as you like. If you want it to display somewhere other than the products description, then you will need to make a code change on the product page.

Thanks Jack I will give it a go

• 2 weeks later...

Can not fint the following lines in my ADMIN/CATEGORIES.PHP

FIND (around line 470):

} elseif (tep_not_null($HTTP_POST_VARS)) {

$pInfo->objectInfo($HTTP_POST_VARS);

$products_name = $HTTP_POST_VARS['products_name'];

$products_description = $HTTP_POST_VARS['products_description'];

$products_url = $HTTP_POST_VARS['products_url'];

Can not fint the following lines in my ADMIN/CATEGORIES.PHP

FIND (around line 470):

} elseif (tep_not_null($HTTP_POST_VARS)) {

$pInfo->objectInfo($HTTP_POST_VARS);

$products_name = $HTTP_POST_VARS['products_name'];

$products_description = $HTTP_POST_VARS['products_description'];

$products_url = $HTTP_POST_VARS['products_url'];

If you are trying to install it in a 2.3 shop, this addon has not been converted to work with 2.3.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I like a lot of others are anxious to get a copy of this code for v2.3.1

I just had to rebuild my site and loaded googlefeeder in, it works very well. I am holding off repopulating the site with my 300+ older books until I can add extra fields to the products

if you can work this code into your schedule we all would appreciate it

I don't think it will be too long. I have the files converted, though not tested, and still have to write the install instructions.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jack for all the cool addons you make for oscommerce!

I use Header Tags SEO and Google XML SEO and they are both working perfectly.

I do not know much about PHP but with your very clear install instructions it always worked out.

The 'add more fields' addon that your working on sounds great.

I already tried to install another extra field contribution but that seems to be not working with your Header Tags SEO contribution.

Some pieces of the code that i need to replace are already replaced with your contribution.

Do you have a estimate timeline when the install instructions will be ready ?

Thanks again and please keep up the good work!

I think there will be much Oscommerce shops that are using your contributions.