• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Adding Category Descriptions to osC v.2.3.1

Eaviator

Greetings Gang,

I'm looking for an add-on that will allow me to insert descriptions and images into categories, for a generic description of what the category has in it rather than just into the products themselves. I'm using a brand new installation of osCommercev2.3.1, but unfortunately the add-on I thought would work, didn't. I did try to contact the writer but couldn't get any help on it. The actual add-on I tried to use was "Category Description v1.06". Please does anyone have any idea's that may help.

Thanks a bunch in advance gang, you're great...

Edited by Eaviator

Header Tags SEO has that option built-in. Assuming the Categories Description contribution still works (I haven't looked at it in quite a while), you could still use it but would have to convert it to work with 2.3.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

Much appreciate your comments here. I've been trying to locate someone who's familiar enough with modifying codes to be able to help modify the install for contribution Category Descriptions v.1.06 into for the osC.v.2.3.1 code.

Obviously the contribution is designed for v.2.2, and certain items in the code weren't able to be found on one single page, that is the index.php page. Everything else was literally a breeze, all indicated coding changes were made as per the contribution's included installation text. Unfortunately for me, I'm not far enough into php yet to make the necessary code changes myself, it'd be done by now if I could.

I've saved the modified files as per the original instructions, but because I don't know enough yet about php I'm unable to get any further at this point. Unfortunately my client is breathing down my neck wanting what he wants, generic category description's and possibly a single generic image for each of the categories. Any suggestions...

Thanks, I really do appreciate any and all help available out there...

Cheers,

DougB

and how my friend am I ever supposed to learn .php by not actually doing it myself, instead of always referring it to someone else who's there already. I will find a way, properly and maybe by learning the hard way, but I will learn it trust me...but thanks Burt, your response has been noted...

Sorry burt but your answer smacked with superiority, it wasn't called for IMHO, but that shouldn't concern you, afterall it's only my opinion. I came here to learn more about the osCommerce program. I'm fairly conversant with php generally however, having studied it at our local university for quite some time but haven't had occasion to use or practice it to any great extent within the context of this particular program or contribution's. In order to further myself more quickly I turned to this forum and it's reader's for help.

My client wanted a bare bones install, which I'm well capable of doing him for him and I've also modified the layout and other coding to some extent, but he's asked for more than I bargained for now because of some newer requirements. In finding this out I looked for reasonable contributions, rather than starting from scratch and re-inventing the wheel and found the contribution mentioned, trying to install it as written. When I ran into difficulties I was hoping that these forum's were for those of us trying to learn more about the intricacies of this program in particular and those reading it would try and help, I'm terribly sorry if I've misjudged. Other program forums supporter's usually just want to help when a difficulty arises, taking pride in their program in order to show it is far better than many other's which are available. There are other's however here burt that do care about it obviously and to them I say "Thanks", resoundingly! Your insight and attitude' are great!

I'm glad to hear that my perceptions re: the other's in this group aren't off the mark. As for you, and your usual umbrage at "other's who ought to know better in your opinion", please try and control yourself. I'm no stranger whatsoever to .php, just to this programs build and the codes particular to this one contribution. If I want to sit down and go over the entire program in order to further my knowledge and possibly that of the entire community by adding helpful hints or code, that would be one thing, to ask for help within a given thread is totally another but you already knew that anyways.

To just be contrary for the sake of being difficult is off-putting to say the least, especially where new members to the osCommerce forums family are concerned. As for me being upset...no, not at all, I'm used to people with small amounts of knowledge in specialized fields trying to compensate by trying to show themselves as seemingly far superior, only showing their overall ignorance of the human condition and their significant lack of compassion whatever the case. If we'd spent as much time working on the issue I located in this contribution as we have insulting each other, it'd be done with and there would be a new contribution for version 2.3.1 to add to the list. With that attitude I'm surprised you are a Community Sponsor...you should be ashamed instead because other's actually care about what this program can do and are proud of their and other's contributions to it.

If you're not, perhaps it's time you took a break and let someone else who actually still does care take a shot at it. But that's only my opinion...

Oliver,

Thanks buddy, the contribution looks great. Nice job and thank you for helping out here, it's really appreciated. I'll go through the code and see if there's anything else I can add for you, but so far it's looking great! The only thing I can really think of to really put this contribution over the top is adding generic image for the category, instead of letting it pull it from the product images. Thanks Oliver!

DougB

Oliver,

Thanks buddy, the contribution looks great. Nice job and thank you for helping out here, it's really appreciated. I'll go through the code and see if there's anything else I can add for you, but so far it's looking great! The only thing I can really think of to really put this contribution over the top is adding generic image for the category, instead of letting it pull it from the product images. Thanks Oliver!

DougB

Thanks to Oliver for the contribution i almost missed the solution reading through all the off topic conversation. This is exactly what i was looking for

• 4 weeks later...

I as well wanted to give Kudos to Oliver for this contribution. Simple and elegant, which is exactly what OSC needs. Easy install, and works great.

My ONLY suggestion Oliver, is to allow it to interact with any wysiwyg editor that may be installed for the admin. It would be a big benefit to allow end-users (our clients) to set category descs just as easily as product descs, without needing any html knowledge. I know this may be pointless due to some of the other more elaborate contributions that include category descs among other things, but for those of us just looking for this one feature, your contribution is perfect. I wouldn't let it drop off the map.

Thank you again.

The Category Description v.1.8 add-on could possibly be changed so that this could be done in the Admin Cpanel, as an add-on selection to the Categories/Products - Products section. I think it should be fairly easy to add it to the admin section and then let your client configure it from there. Is your client able to access and use the Admin Cpanel OK already, John? Would that be what you're looking for as far as a better add-on goes?

Cheers,

DougB

Yes, my clients are typically able to at least handle a wysiwyg editor, currently I am using the CKeditor so that they can do basic text formatting when they enter/edit products. They manage the catalog via the osc admin panel, and I do any custom/advanced editing or settings management for them, if needed, just to be on the safe side.

The Category Descriptions is a great contribution, but if it could be linked with the wysiwyg editor in admin, it would be one more thing the end-client could have direct control over, and I think appropriate in this sense, as it maintains consistency with product descriptions.

But again, not necessary or a request, just a 'wishlist suggestion'.

Thanks again.

First off, Thank you for the contribution!!

I have installed 1.08 and am having an error when trying to edit existing categories. I am able to add them just fine and Have been able to add ckeditor to the new category section. It works great. But when trying to edit an existing category the "work panel" on the right hand side of the page goes away and I am just left with a list of categories and the active/inactive toggle.

I would really appreciate someone providing me an idea to resolve this as I have not been able to solve it my self as of yet.

Thank you in advance.

• 11 months later...

I've just installed this on 2.3.1,and it is a great contribution.I think I may have misunderstood something in the install instructions though,and would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.In the catalog,category image and description are showing at the top of the page,as they should,where the category has only products in it.But if the category has subcategories then the category image and description shows at the bottom of the page under the subcategory images.

The only other add on I have on the index page is modular front page ,and I can't see that that's interfering with anything.Any ideas anyone?Thanks.

This works ok if you put the first edit of index.php in at line 41,like this.

<h1><?php echo $category['categories_name']; ?></h1>

<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td class="productListing-data">

<?php

echo $categories_desc['categories_description'];

?>

</td>

<td class="pageHeading" align="center"

>

<?php

if (tep_not_null($category['categories_image']) && (file_exists(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $category['categories_image'])) ) {

echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $category['categories_image'], $category['categories_name'], HEADING_IMAGE_WIDTH, HEADING_IMAGE_HEIGHT);

}

?>

</td>

</tr>

</table>

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Thanks everybody for the commerts. I recently instaled Category Description for OSCommerce 2.3.1 and I am not quiet sure if there is something wrong in my setup.

As we get deeper in the catalog tree, I mean into subcategories, the description displayed shows the same description for every subcategory. In fact, the one corresponding to the mother category and not his own one.

Therefore I get the "categories images" with the "categories name" but showing the description from the category which all this subcategories belongs to.

Is this normal? Am I more stupid I thought?

Thank you, thank you so much for helping because I am getting really bad.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I cannot get this contribution to work. I have followed all the instructions and although there are no PHP errors popping up and when I go add a new category it gives a description text box to type in, no matter how small of a description (in words) I type in, it does not show on the category page. Additionally, I have to create all new categories to insert a description. I cannot add a description to an existing category.

**UPDATE**

Nevermind, I forgot to save a file and upload it. Everything works great other than not being able to add a description to an existing category but that is minimally bothersome.

Edited by Computer Geekette

I cannot get this contribution to work. I have followed all the instructions and although there are no PHP errors popping up and when I go add a new category it gives a description text box to type in, no matter how small of a description (in words) I type in, it does not show on the category page. Additionally, I have to create all new categories to insert a description. I cannot add a description to an existing category.

**UPDATE**

Nevermind, I forgot to save a file and upload it. Everything works great other than not being able to add a description to an existing category but that is minimally bothersome.

The x 2 best supported existing header tags modules have a categories description included so easiest is to add one of the modules as they are needed anyway for good SEO

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8864

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5851

Regards

Joli

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

The x 2 best supported existing header tags modules have a categories description included so easiest is to add one of the modules as they are needed anyway for good SEO

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8864

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5851

Regards

Joli

I did get this add-on to work perfectly after a few adjustments were made to other areas. I am well satisfied with this since it is simple however I will keep your suggestion in mind when I go to start the SEO side of site building.

• 2 months later...

I am actually just wanting to create one new field to my categories so that I can insert a website and have it linked to the image so people can click on the image and go through to a website - any ideas?