• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Additional Functionality Like Displaying "Specials" Throughout Site..

i_banks

Greetings everyone. I'm creating a site and would like to display "specials", "what's new", and "reviews" for the products on various pages. Is there some additional functionality for that, or do I just have to hack into the code and create my own functions that display this information for me?

Isaiah,

You can display each of those in a column box. Activate the column box from admin>>modules>>boxes>>

Chris

Isaiah,

You can display each of those in a column box. Activate the column box from admin>>modules>>boxes>>

Chris

Thanks Chris for responding..

It sounds like your suggestion assumes that I'm working within the osCommerce "environment". So I would then be able to display "specials", "reviews..etc from within the admin panel by just following the suggestion above.

I'm actually creating a site that's outside the osCommerce "environment" and in fact the site is in the Wordpress environment. I posted an issue a week ago that I was trying to execute Wordpress functions and template tags, on the osCommerce products page. I ended up solving it by loading the Wordpress environment "into" the osCommerce environment by simply calling a file require('../wp-blog-header.php'); in the osCommerce "template-top.php" file.

So it seems that in order for me to display things like "specials" in the Wordpress environment (on a WP page), I have to reference functions and template tags within the osCommerce environment and that's what I'm looking for, but an easier way to do it. The admin panel wouldn't help in this situation.

Correct me if I'm wrong though :) ?

Isaiah,

There are problems with creating an artificial environment for osCommerce within a WP site, the MAIN issue is losing the OSCID because the checkout process would begin outside of osCommerce. WP actually has a shopping cart plug in that you could use. I PERSONALLY would never integrate osCommerce and WP or even host them on the same server because of vulnerabilities present within WP.

JMO

Chris

There are problems with creating an artificial environment for osCommerce within a WP site, the MAIN issue is losing the OSCID because the checkout process would begin outside of osCommerce.

That depends on how you are integrating the two and the depth of the integration.

This site has a social networking API with menu options in the "header" that I want to be present throughout the entire navigation of the site, even when they click on products. Which means that I don't want them feel like they are leaving the main site and going to a sub-site when navigating through osCommerce products.

So I want to keep the WP "header" throughout the site and also on the osCommerce products page. So all I did was reference the WP "header" template tag by importing the WP environment. So that's solved.

Now, when someone is navigating through the WP site, all I want from the osCommerce side is images and text from "specials"..etc. It will link back to the osCommerce product page where of course you get information about that specific product with the option to purchase..etc.

So the check out process still happens within the osCommerce environment.

WP actually has a shopping cart plug in that you could use.

I looked for it and didn't see much...what I saw was pretty generic and it didn't seem to work as well as this one.

Isaiah

the MAIN issue is losing the OSCID because the checkout process would begin outside of osCommerce.

Okay...I think you're right...So far I'm having to change to many paths....