• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Looking for some feedback before we go live...

gambitdis

Hi,

We're just about finishing up with the following site:

http://madelinescandles.com/catalog/default.php

I would appreciate it if you could give us feedback on it. It's not live yet, and the final payment mechanism is not in place yet (authorizenet), but we would really appreciate any feedback or suggestions you might have.

Thanks.

--derek

Thanks for the positive comments. We managed to get this site up extremely quickly thanks to osCommerce. It's hands down the best cart out there.

As far as the 56k problem, I'm probably going to be re-exporting some of the main images from Photoshop again, trying to get them compressed a little bit more. Once you load the main page, are the next pages you load fast?

--derek

Once you load the main page, are the next pages you load fast?

Still a bit slow....I didn't check the file sizes on the images but, I'm sure with some work you can get them down some. There is a thread in the "tips and tricks" forum called "I feel the need for speed", might be some other things you haven't though of. :D

I'll check out the tips and tricks sections for the speed suggestions.

I was having some contrast issues with a couple computers. How does the contrast look between the lighter colors? Also, could someone check from an iBook? That was one of the systems where the contrast seemed to be an issue.

Thanks.

--derek

The contras between the backgrounds an text is fine. The upper menu bar (pink) could probably be darkened a shade or 2. I'm viewing on a 4 year old Gateway monitor @1024x768.

I get frustrated when I can't find what im looking for in like 2 second (like most people on the internet) making me move on to the next site. Your site is set up in a way that I know what it's about and I know what I'm looking at right away. A few clicks away and im ready at the checkout is a great plus. I like the layout and it fits smaller screens too, and the colors fit the concept well. I like the poem on the start, it makes it more personal like the customer is dealing with real people and not just an automated website. All the information is there and clear and the site is very easy to navigate... I can't seem to find anything negative about it...

Thanks. Our client really stressed making the site both easy for customers and easy for her to maintain. osCommerce worked out perfectly in both respects. I did strip down the shopping cart a bit, but reviews and notifications didn't really seem that useful for candles :)

--derek

I think it looks great. Excellent job.

My only suggestion:

Maybe the dark pink color in the column header of the category listing page could be a little lighter. It doesn't seem quite as soft as the rest of the page.

Overall a really good job.

Beautiful site. Well done.

My two comments are these:

1) The text rollover colors is that light-grey-blue from the standard OSC. I think that should be changed to something that fits with your color scheme. Maybe some shade of mauve.

2) In the product category listings, the colored table nicely frames the content and distinguishes it from the navigation. When you click to the product_info.ph, the distinction disappears. I'd try (althought I'm not convinced it would be better) to create a table background of your light mauve for the product listing. For what it's worth, I did something like this in a site I'm working on... http://www.wowandzen.com/product_info.php/.../products_id/31

I also agree with others that either the column heading background or text should be lightened. And I agree that if you didn't change a single line of code that you'd have a beautiful and well-crafted site. Great job! :D

Mark

Archived