• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Strange letter  before prices

offie

Just installing the new version of osCommerce V2.3.1 and going through the buying process. The prices look ok but as soon as I hit the checkout button I get a strange

letter  appear in front of my prices.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this small problem.

Thank you.

Just installing the new version of osCommerce V2.3.1 and going through the buying process. The prices look ok but as soon as I hit the checkout button I get a strange

letter  appear in front of my prices.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this small problem.

Thank you.

Sorted

• 1 month later...

Hi mate, can you please tell me how you fixed it so we can also get it sorted. Thank you.

To anyone else who has this problem I have solved the mystery regarding the character sign and wanted to pass the solution to you so you have it for future reference.

Basically its this:

£ sign does not appear correctly on my web pages or is prefixed with £

This can happen with certain web browsers under certain conditions: your computer is writing text as a different sequence of bits than your web site is expecting.

Specifically, your computer is writing text using the ISO-8859-15 encoding (a set of 256 characters), and your web site says it's written in UTF-8 (a set of theoretically around 1.1 million characters). All the letters and numbers are sent as the same sequence of bits in both encodings, but some other characters (like the pound sign "£") are expressed differently.

So, what you need to do is set your web site to say it's written in "ISO-8859-15". To do that you just need to add a file called ".htaccess" in your home directory, containing the line:

AddDefaultCharset ISO-8859-15

Once done, please empty your internet cache before attempting to view your web page again.

If you are experiencing an  before the pound sign as in £ you will need to add the following line to the .htaccess file:

AddDefaultCharset utf-8

Hope this helps, it did for me.

Michael