• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Shipping Insurance for UPS and whatever else....

rbartz

Odd,

It seems to me like having insurance and allowing customers to request it or not is needed by pretty much every e-store. yet, there is no real contribution that takes care of that need. I have been trying hard to figure out the shipping insurance 1.0 and why it gets dropped from the order totals but with no success.

If anyone figures out the fix to get shipping insurance working please post it here!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I have tried making the variable global in application_top.php, setting it with tep_session_register(), but with no luck getting the ot_insurance class to recognize it. There has to be a way that someone knows of about calling a variable from a class in a different file.... anyone?

• 1 month later...
Odd,

It seems to me like having insurance and allowing customers to request it or not is needed by pretty much every e-store. yet, there is no real contribution that takes care of that need. I have been trying hard to figure out the shipping insurance 1.0 and why it gets dropped from the order totals but with no success.

If anyone figures out the fix to get shipping insurance working please post it here!!!!

I'd agree this would be a great feature-- I have no problem getting the standard Shipping Insurance 1.0 contrib to work, but as soon as I make the above changes that are supposed to allow the customer to choose whether or not to add insurance it no longers lists the insurance charge at all at checkout... and doesn't prompt either.

Maybe it's just a documentation thing-- it's possible I put the code in the wrong place in the checkout_payment.php. Where exactly should it go? And I'm assuming you mean catalog\checkout_payment.php and not the one in includes\languages\english.

Any help would be greatly appreciated- I'd really like to make this work.

Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'

• 4 weeks later...

Here is Shipping Insurance Version 2... :thumbsup:

Download Here

Includes "Customer Choice" that works. The choice is in the Payment section of checkout. I would rather it be in the Shipping section, but variables are difficult to make global in osC without "globals on". If someone has the solution I'd be happy to put the choice section right under 'choose shipping' instead of 'choose payment'....

You can set whether the customer has a choice or is forced in the module config. If he is forced, it simply calculates it on all orders over the minimum total.

The fix for not adding a negative amount is included, although not all osC versions had that problem. Still, if the total is less than the minimum total to start charging, it simply is ignored.

It is also updated to accomodate the new UPS pricing methods. (For UPS you ignore the first $100 total, and then it is $1.20 for $100 to $300 total, and after that it is simply $.40 per $100.) This is accomplished by setting the "Minimum Charge" (if total is over minimun total) in the module config.

Instructions for installation and configuration are in the readme.txt.

I still feel that allowing a customer to NOT choose insurance is not the best choice, as you can be sure if any package is not delivered, you will be the one who pays. The customer is not going to take responsibility for his choice, even if you warn him that if he refuses the insurance he is liable. Life just does not work that way! :blush:

Anyway, for those who were patient, here it is. Enjoy!

RDB

Here is Shipping Insurance Version 2...  :thumbsup:

Download Here

Includes "Customer Choice" that works.  The choice is in the Payment section of checkout.  I would rather it be in the Shipping section, but variables are difficult to make global in osC without "globals on".  If someone has the solution I'd be happy to put the choice section right under 'choose shipping' instead of 'choose payment'....

You can set whether the customer has a choice or is forced in the module config.  If he is forced, it simply calculates it on all orders over the minimum total.

The fix for not adding a negative amount is included, although not all osC versions had that problem.  Still, if the total is less than the minimum total to start charging, it simply is ignored.

It is also updated to accomodate the new UPS pricing methods.  (For UPS you ignore the first $100 total, and then it is $1.20 for $100 to $300 total, and after that it is simply $.40 per $100.)  This is accomplished by setting the "Minimum Charge" (if total is over minimun total) in the module config.

Instructions for installation and configuration are in the readme.txt.

I still feel that allowing a customer to NOT choose insurance is not the best choice, as you can be sure if any package is not delivered, you will be the one who pays.  The customer is not going to take responsibility for his choice, even if you warn him that if he refuses the insurance he is liable.  Life just does not work that way!    :blush:

Anyway, for those who were patient, here it is.  Enjoy! 

RDB

Hello,

I've just installed the latest version of this contribution. In Step 5 of Readme:

5.) Activate in admin (Modules->Order Total Modules) and edit the following settings.

a.  Use Shipping Insurance?  True, of course, assuming you want to use the module!

b.  Sort Order?  Set this to the order you want it to appear in the totals table.

See how your Order Total Modules have a Sort Order?  Well, I use Shipping

as 3 and Shipping Insurance as 4... Be careful NOT to have two modules with

the same order number...  Note that ANY modules ordered after it, excluding

shipping, will not be included in the total insured.

c.  Customer Chooses?  False, unless you want the customer to choose, of course

d.  Amount Exempt From Fee?  Set this to the part of the total that

is exempt from the Shipping Insurance.  UPS insures the first $100 for

free, so I set mine to 100.  0 is ok if none of the total is exempt.

e.  Increment Amount?  This is the incremental PART of the total for calculations.

Insurance is usually figured as so much per so many dollars... 

UPS is 50 cents per $100. so I use 100.

f.  Minimum Charge.  This is the minimum amount that is to be charged IF the total is

over the amount exempt from the insurance fee.  For UPS this would be 1.20

g.  Insurance Rate?  The amount charged per increment above.  I use .40 since UPS

is 40 cents per $100 AFTER the first 300.

h.  Apply Insurance Fee To Which Orders?  You choose.

i.  Tax Class... apply which class, if any, to the shipping insurance fee.

in admin (Modules->Order Total) I have:

HEADING_TITLE 

Modules Sort Order Action 

Module Directory:                                            + Install

When I click Install, just nothing happens leaving me no option to edit the necessary settings. How can I fix it and where can I define the HEADING_TITLE?

Thanks,

Irina.

Irina,

You did not copy the language file into the catalog/includes/languages/english/modules/order_total/ directory. :'( When you do the module will install no problem. Be sure you have put the language file in the correct place: the file and location:

catalog/includes/languages/english/modules/order_total/ ot_insurance.php

The files are in the correct directories in the distribution. Be sure to see the following post as well.

RDB

Hello,

I've just installed the latest version of this contribution. In Step 5 of Readme:

When I click Install, just nothing happens leaving me no option to edit the necessary settings. How can I fix it and where can I define the HEADING_TITLE?

Thanks,

Irina.

Version 2.01 - CALCULATION UPGRADE

Everyone, please be sure to use this corrected version. The upload numbered 2.0 has a bug in the totalling. My mistake, I just did not test it properly before posting and was calculating the minimum charge AFTER the total was added.

The uploaded package named version 2.01 is corrected.

Download Here

Enjoy.

RDB

Version 2.01 - CALCULATION UPGRADE

Everyone, please be sure to use this corrected version.  The upload numbered 2.0 has a bug in the totalling.  My mistake, I just did not test it properly before posting and was calculating the minimum charge AFTER the total was added.

The uploaded package named version 2.01 is corrected.

Download Here

Enjoy.

RDB

HI RDB,

If I have v2.0 installed, can I simply over write the respective ot_insurance.php files with the new 2.0.1 version, or are there changes in the readme file to make manually too?

Thanks

Yes, of course. both of the new ot_insurance.php files go right over the old ones. The language file is identical.

I wish there was some way to delete a package that has a dumb mistake like I made to avoid confusion, but the downloads area doesn't quite work like that.

Neither does life...

RDB

Irina,

You did not copy the language file into the catalog/includes/languages/english/modules/order_total/ directory.  When you do the module will install no problem. Be sure you have put the language file in the correct place: the file and location:

catalog/includes/languages/english/modules/order_total/ ot_insurance.php

The files are in the correct directories in the distribution. Be sure to see the following post as well.

RDB

Hello,

Thanks,

Irina.

I put all the files from the contribution in the correct places, but I still have the above problems. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks,

Irina.

Irina,

All I can suggest then is for you to open the readme.txt file and carefully follow the installation again step by step. There are only two files, but there are also some changes that have to be made to some of your other osC files.

Be sure you do them all (except the last step which is only if you use Authorize.Net's AIM integration) exactly as instructed, there is no reason that it should not work just as stated. I suspect that since you are getting the HEADING_TITLE instead of the name of the title from the language file, you must not have the language file in the correct place. Otherwise I don't know what to tell you...

RDB

Has anyone figured out a way to add the insurance selection option to the checkout shipping page instead of the checkout payment screen. This mod is exactly what i want except the option to select it looks so out of place on the payment page i dont want to use it.

thanks in advance

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I have tried all the version, it works but not the customer choice. if i check the box or not, the result is the same. Only the admin part can change if it's the insurance is applyed or not ?

Do you have any idea for me.

Many thanks in advance.

• 4 months later...