• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Changing name of "admin" folder results in error

Sohgave

Sorry folks, but the instructions to change the admin folder name did not work for me. I've attempted 4 different times being sure to follow the instructions (from Jan's post) to the letter, but I always end up with "500 The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request."

As a recap, here is just one of the attempted scenarios:

1.) I had the "admin" folder working fine. I could login and browse the back office; no problems...

2.) I changed the folder name on the server side from "admin" to "mynewname"

3.) I changed the folder name on my local side from "admin" to "mynewname"

4.) I modified the configure.php found in "mynewname/includes/" directory on my local side to be:

define('DIR_WS_ADMIN', '/mynewname/'); //and as according to Jan's instructions. This step seemed a bit weird as the original syntax for the first define line reads : "define('DIR_WS_ADMIN', 'catalog/mynewname/');"

define('DIR_FS_ADMIN', '/your/path/to/directory/mynewname/');

5.) I uploaded the changes to the server

6.) Cleared my cache

7.) Attempted to login to back office at url: https://shopname.dom...alog/mynewname/

I can get to the first login window but 500 Internal Server Error on second login window...

Any help??

Thanks

Thanks,

Shawn

"Surface the ship! Prepare to muster all personnel to escape hatches.

Break out the rafts. Lash them to the deck.

We'll use them as shelters until the fleet arrives."

In your admin configure file change just the name for /admin/ in both instances

My store is currently running Phoenix 1.0.3.0

I'm currently working on 1.0.7.2 and hope to get it live before 1.0.8.0 arrives (maybe 🙄 )

I used to have a list of add-ons here but I've found that with the ones that supporters of Phoenix get any other add-ons are not really neccessary

In your admin configure file change just the name for /admin/ in both instances

Thanks for the reply Xpajun, but after a couple of tries, there's still no positive change. Same error message.

Thanks,

Shawn

define('DIR_WS_ADMIN', '/mynewname/'); //and as according to Jan's instructions. This step seemed a bit weird as the original syntax for the first define line reads : "define('DIR_WS_ADMIN', 'catalog/mynewname/');"

If your store is in catalog folder then "define('DIR_WS_ADMIN', 'catalog/mynewname/');" is ok.

Also check FS path.Use server info to get idea on docroot and apply path.

Internal server error will occur if file is not found and some other htaccess rule conflicts.

Satish

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

Just a thought, have a look in your catalog/includes/local file to check that there isn't a configure.php file in there as well - if there is - remove it

I'm currently working on 1.0.7.2 and hope to get it live before 1.0.8.0 arrives (maybe 🙄 )

I used to have a list of add-ons here but I've found that with the ones that supporters of Phoenix get any other add-ons are not really neccessary

If your store is in catalog folder then "define('DIR_WS_ADMIN', 'catalog/mynewname/');" is ok.

Also check FS path.Use server info to get idea on docroot and apply path.

Internal server error will occur if file is not found and some other htaccess rule conflicts.

Thanks Shatish. Unfortunately, it did not work. After several hours of exhausting effort I will have to abandon this goal for now. I've had to reinstall 4 times on Godaddy servers now and no matter what approach I take to changing the "admin" folder name, it always results in 500 Internal Server Error. Obviously Godaddy won't support these issues and claims its a configuration problem. I guess that's the price we pay for playing with open source stuff...

If anyone can help me figure this out, I'd appreciate it.

Satish

Thanks,

Shawn

Posting your configure.php files might help finding the problem

Its not a godaddy issue.

Its a configuration problem and not a complex one.

If you have some basic idea of PHP you will be able to debug and get to the reason.

Or pose your config file( security risk so chnage some internal path arbitrary values ) and some one will reply.

Satish

If you have static IP.

then you just place with admin htaccess file that has allow deny IP rules.

Satish

Thanks for the feedback Shatish! I continued to struggle with this goal overnight and I must return to it later. If you have time, can you please review/comment on this post?

Am I On The Right Track?

s

Thanks,

Shawn

Archived