• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New Tool site for review

Your header does not match your template colors. It looks flat and rather crude compared to the fancy headers on the boxes etc. Likewise, the stock buttons don't look good with this template.

The Manufacturers list shows many broken images. Some categories have images but many do not. Many product images are too small, of poor quality, or distorted. Enlarging an image should result in an image large enough to see details, not a copy of the small image I just clicked. If I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars on a tool, I want to see what I'm getting.

The Product Datasheet (PDF) for the product pages I tried is blank.

Contact Us page says "Place your contact us text here...". The Shipping & Returns, Privacy Notice, and Terms & Conditions pages were apparently copied from some boilerplate legal site. After reading that, I would not consider ordering from you.

The Shipping page also says "The risk of loss and title for all merchandise ordered on this Web site pass to you when the merchandise is delivered to the shipping carrier." Sorry, that's not even legally true. It's your responsibility to see that orders are delivered in good condition, not mine. I can and will have my bank issue a chargeback if your chosen carrier does not deliver the order to me. This is my legal right. Add insurance to the shipping cost if you want to protect yourself.

Also, the jokes on the About Us page are pretty funny, but they don't belong there. A separate page would probably work.

Product pages have --> at the top. Find the broken HTML comment and fix it. The footer contains ?>. Find the extra PHP close and delete it.

You claim to be an established dealer in professional tools and you only accept Paypal? That will scare away many customers. If you also offer Google Checkout, why is that not listed in the box with the Paypal logo?

The Shipping Estimator shows only Next Day Early AM and Ground. I know that I can get more services than that here. The header and Close button on that page don't work with the background either.

The Billing & Shipping Information (Create Account) page asks me for ENTRY_SUBURB with an ENTRY_SUBURB_TEXT requirement. Turn that off. It also demands to know my date of birth. Why? Also, the address is out of order for US customers. There's an Addon to fix this if you don't want to edit the page yourself.

Sorry to be so critical, but your site needs a great deal of work.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Thanks Jim. It was my first attempt at building a site myself. My race parts site was professionally done. There are many things I still need to do but wanted to get an experts opinion before I got too deep. I will work on your suggestions and repost when I am done.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a quick look at your site, and apart from the things already mentioned i wouls add

1. Your thumbnail images are totally rubbish. Do something with them.The picture will sell more than the text. Yopur text is good, so why not the images.

2. For some reason your left column is narrower than your right. The text in your categories box in some cases is split over two lines.

3. Just a small thing. make your site background images seamless then you wont have those silly annoying white lines.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

• 4 weeks later...

OK Jim. I've been working hard on your suggestions.

Give it a look and please let me know what else should be changed.

Thanks,

Matt

Archived