Latest News: (loading..)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Harald Ponce de Leon

Where Are The User Features?

31 posts in this topic

Hi All..

It was described in the release announcement that v3.0 focused on the framework and that the user features would be coming this month. This is the same when you download Zend Framework, Symfony, Kohana, or other PHP framework, that you receive a great framework to start building on as they do not come with any user features at all.

What's "under the hood" in v3.0 is a complete framework that is stable to build on. It was important for us to release v3.0 to freeze the framework API otherwise we'd continue improving it in a vicious circle. Now we have v3.0 to build on and to improve on for v3.1, v3.2, .. releases.

With v3.0 we also introduce CoreUpdate which allows you to perform upgrades over the Admin Dashboard without any manual work or need to edit source code files. The first update(s) will be pushed this week introducing new user features and bug fixes.

For those that are bored with their installation due to no errors being logged - we are truely sorry for providing such a solid framework :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

2 people like this

As written on other topic:

"You cannot at present add categories or products.

oscom3 is not useable for any live shop.

It is suitable for developer use only at this point."

Is that for real?

Warum packt ihr nicht ne Info dazu bei den Downloads? Endlich war da nichts mehr von Apha und Beta und Testversion zu lesen, sondern sowohl das eine als auch das andere zum Download verfügbar, als "Full Package: oscommerce-3.0.1.zip" Da kann man doch eigentlich ein irgendwie geartetes backend erwarten oder? Oder stimmt bei mir irgendwas wieder nicht?

Cheers.

As written on other topic:

"You cannot at present add categories or products.

oscom3 is not useable for any live shop.

It is suitable for developer use only at this point."

Is that for real?

Warum packt ihr nicht ne Info dazu bei den Downloads? Endlich war da nichts mehr von Apha und Beta und Testversion zu lesen, sondern sowohl das eine als auch das andere zum Download verfügbar, als "Full Package: oscommerce-3.0.1.zip" Da kann man doch eigentlich ein irgendwie geartetes backend erwarten oder? Oder stimmt bei mir irgendwas wieder nicht?

Cheers.

Congratulations on the release of the framework v3.0.1. I am a huge fan of OSCommerce. I do have one suggestion to keep people from being confused regarding functionality of 3.0.1. The ttp://www.oscommerce.com/solutions page.claims there are features included in the release like shipping and payment modules.... but I didn't find any. Please advise, or change the titles of those features that are not yet released and/or available to read (except version 3.0.X). It is a little confusing and is why folks are leaving posts like the one above. I do have version 3.0.1 installed on development website in anticipation of future releases.

Respectfully,

~Vid

Error Log

DATE MESSAGE

05/28/2011 13:10:47 PHP Notice: select specials_id from osc_specials where stat..

05/28/2011 13:10:47 PHP Notice: select specials_id from osc_specials where stat..

05/28/2011 13:10:47 PHP Notice: select startdate, counter from osc_counter in C..

05/28/2011 13:10:46 PHP Notice: select specials_id from osc_specials where stat..

05/28/2011 13:10:45 PHP Notice: select specials_id from osc_specials where stat..

05/28/2011 13:10:45 PHP Notice: select startdate, counter from osc_counter in C..

1. where to go to find the rest of the info?

2. status is there in the db table osc_specials .. so what is next to do??

3. i am about to write some code that will change the base english XML language file to any of translate.google given languages

--> so will there be any change from the current xml structure?

Hi All..

It was described in the release announcement that v3.0 focused on the framework and that the user features would be coming this month. This is the same when you download Zend Framework, Symfony, Kohana, or other PHP framework, that you receive a great framework to start building on as they do not come with any user features at all.

What's "under the hood" in v3.0 is a complete framework that is stable to build on. It was important for us to release v3.0 to freeze the framework API otherwise we'd continue improving it in a vicious circle. Now we have v3.0 to build on and to improve on for v3.1, v3.2, .. releases.

With v3.0 we also introduce CoreUpdate which allows you to perform upgrades over the Admin Dashboard without any manual work or need to edit source code files. The first update(s) will be pushed this week introducing new user features and bug fixes.

For those that are bored with their installation due to no errors being logged - we are truely sorry for providing such a solid framework :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

I like the 3.X framework very much. I wanted to use it for my new shop deployment. I understand that the admin module to add new categories and products are not ready in the current version 3.0.1. I tried to add new categories and products manually to the database but I am not able to figure out what the functions for some of the table fields. Eg parent_id and has_children. Do you have any documentation for that? Do you have any idea when is the next release that would include the add category and product module. Thanks and Regards, Andy

Hi,

I'm getting ready to set up a new site. Should I use the V3x or V2x. It sounds like you released V3.0

-Rich

At this point in time you should use 2.31 for a live shop

Hi All,

Any updates on 3.1. We are developing 3 - 4 E-commerce stores every month and I wish I can start using 3.1. Majority of our customer don't know what technology we are using to build their stores but recently we came across 2 - 3 customers who insisted that we use MagentoCommerce Community Version. Their reasoning is, If they grow than they can easily upgrade to Pro and Enterprise version and get much better support as far as upgrades and patches are concern.

I love OSCommerce. It is opensource and very open platform for individual licencing also.I hate to have more and more developers in my team getting involved with MagentoCommerce. We like to have strong team of developers who are only focus on OSCommerce and nothing else. With our contribution to community we can make OSCommerce as good as MagentoCommerce.

Harald how can we help to expedite the 3.x roadmap. I tried to contact you 3 - 4 times but no success.May be I am sending email to wrong email address or to the email address that is not monitored. We can have team of 3 - 4 very experienced PHP developers work with you to bring it to usable level. Please let us know how can we help ?

Thanks

Raj

1 person likes this

Congratulations on the release of the framework v3.0.1. I am a huge fan of OSCommerce. I do have one suggestion to keep people from being confused regarding functionality of 3.0.1. The ttp://www.oscommerce.com/solutions page.claims there are features included in the release like shipping and payment modules.... but I didn't find any. Please advise, or change the titles of those features that are not yet released and/or available to read (except version 3.0.X). It is a little confusing and is why folks are leaving posts like the one above. I do have version 3.0.1 installed on development website in anticipation of future releases.

Respectfully,

~Vid

This is a bit late but for those who haven't found the user features that are available...they are in the top left hand corner of the admin site, in the gray "toolbar".

Todd

Sorry guys, but I also don't understand why this version is not brought with a little more sence like -osc 3 developers version-, or at list give a tip in the description on the download page.

2 people like this

I feel bad when I saw the rise of other shopping softwares like OpenCart, Magento, Presta. No move for osC 3.x. :(

Hi,

It seems that osCommerce stuck at v2.3. Any latest update with osC3.x?

Best regards

In reality oscommerce has been stuck for a very long time.

Other stores have been making continued progress and added new features to a base store. Surely this must be the way forward for oscommerce. Poeple expect to get a fully funcional store without the need to add contributions, some of them most basic, that come as standard in almost all other ecommerce packages.

Hi,

If there is no any progress for osCommerce, I will consider switching to other stores like Zen Cart, Magento or OpenCart. I cannot stuck with osCommerce together for one or two years more.

Best regards

In reality oscommerce has been stuck for a very long time.

Other stores have been making continued progress and added new features to a base store. Surely this must be the way forward for oscommerce. Poeple expect to get a fully funcional store without the need to add contributions, some of them most basic, that come as standard in almost all other ecommerce packages.

I disagree. I expect to get a bare bones framework that allows me to sell a product. Then I want to add in extras based on MY needs and not have to deal the ideas of some geek in a office who has no real understanding of what makes a shop tick and what makes a customer decide to click the "buy" button.

Hi,

If there is no any progress for osCommerce, I will consider switching to other stores like Zen Cart, Magento or OpenCart. I cannot stuck with osCommerce together for one or two years more.

Best regards

There is loads of progress. See github.

Have you done anything to help with that progress?

@@DarkWarder

Hi what v3.x version is now release version what can use shop?

There currently isn't a production ready version of osCommerce v3.x. The latest stable release is v2.3.1

Chris

I disagree. I expect to get a bare bones framework that allows me to sell a product. Then I want to add in extras based on MY needs and not have to deal the ideas of some geek in a office who has no real understanding of what makes a shop tick and what makes a customer decide to click the "buy" button.

Thats possibly because you understand oscommerce. What about the ordinary people who are looking for a free ecommerce solution, which oscommerce is, and just want to sell items in a store. If oscommerce doesnt give them what they want, they either have to pay someone to alter things, learn php, html, and many other things, or they go else where. If you read other forums, people are going elsewhere.

Personally i think oscommerce is good, and as a small business owner, who in the beginning had time to spare, i quite enjoyed modding the core code. What has been a pain in the neck, is the so called coders who modify add ons, without really having a clue what they are doing, and there are many of them. The options available in each addon is again confusing, and wil put people off.

If i was a coder, i feel i could have made a small fortune out of oscommerce, helping people correct others mistakes, but alas i am not.

Lets see what version three brings, when it is eventually ready.

Hi,

As I see osCommerce 3 is really stucked? I thought that osCommerce 3 is a breath of fresh air for very old project, but it seems to be its last tries to catch up with leaders.

There is no bugreports approved/fixed on githhub/forum trackers, no any pull requests approved on githhub already for 11 months. Harold pulled minor changes on beginning of the February and then reverted some of them.

Release of 3.0.2 was 7 months age and no any significant features or bugfixes implemented.

So I'll freeze the payment module development, although it 98% finished and it's waiting only one bugfix.

Better to spent time for Shopping Carts where teams are paying attention to their product and to developers community needs.

Best regards,

Vladimir

HI Vladimir.

i like your troll ... :thumbsup:

osCommerce :

for github :

branch master :

https://github.com/haraldpdl/oscommerce

branch cfg :

https://github.com/haraldpdl/oscommerce/tree/cfg

thread :

http://forums.oscommerce.com/topic/383731-configuration-modules/

branch template :

https://github.com/haraldpdl/oscommerce/tree/template

thread :

http://forums.oscommerce.com/topic/383392-template-engine-functionality-proposal/

oscommerce website :

for github :

https://github.com/haraldpdl/oscommerce_website

(w00t)

Hi Laurent,

In such way I expected to impel devs of osCommerce 3 to action.

I'm not fan of any Shopping Cart CMS and etc., but when I downloaded osCommerce 3 at first time I couldn't believe my eyes: new logic design and code are qualitative enough and contemporary.

I'm making payment modules for a lot of CMS and I expected osCommerce 3 to be the new one that should be pleasure implement for.

But I found that last bugreports are without any attention, CMS contribution in github looks sluggish enough (sorry, but I found not a lot by your links), many of forum threads are "covered with cobwebs".

If project is really actively contributed - I'm just glad.

But even when I asked "how to handle success/cancel/callback?" (because there are no any dev docs for version 3) urls on forum, people told me to use oscommerce 2.3 (in Add-Ons Development section of osCommerce 3 forum!!!). Okay, I researched osCommerce 3 code and found out how to handle that, but bug with callback appeared. I posted report to forums bug tracker - no reaction, other reports are without attention too. I found with the help of some forces github page of osCommerce 3 (on main site I found only links to unavailable svn), duplicated bug report - no any reaction again. I don't talk about some lightning fix, I talk at least about report approve by maintainer.

I think you understand my motivation to such thoughts.

Sorry for long text and maybe some sharpness in words, but I tried to explain what caused such conclusions.

If you have any questions or alternative explanations - I'm glad to talk to you, maybe you can clarify much of mentioned above.

Best regards,

Vladimir.