• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

iPage + SSL = I need someone to help me...

wildvettes

I am VERY nervous now...they support no third party ssl and geotrust is the only company they support...here is my chat session, what are your thoughts?

Chat InformationThank you for contacting support. Please be prepared to answer your Security Question when we begin chatting. To enhance our security protocols, we'll need you to provide the answer to your Security Question at the beginning of our conversation. If you have not yet set your Security Question and Answer, please log into your account now to set it up. Thank you. Please hold for the next available operator to respond.

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Viola Burns'

Viola Burns: Hi Damien. My name is Viola Burns, how are you today?

Damien: I'm doing well, how are you?

Viola Burns: I'm great, thank you. How can I help you today?

Damien: I'm looking into ssl, and I see on your FAQS you list an option for rapidssl, yet you only show two purchase options for quickssl and business id. Have you removed your entry level ssl? If not what is the cost?

Damien: http://members.ipage.com/knowledgebase/beta/article.bml?ArticleID=973&type=How%20To#Nugget_2149

Damien: it is under differences

Viola Burns: Okay.

Viola Burns: May I place you on hold for 3 to 4 minutes, while I check this for you?

Damien: sure

Viola Burns: Thank you for holding.

Viola Burns: We also provide Rapid SSL of $49.95/year.

Damien: what is the cost for quickssl after the two year term?

Damien: that rapidssl is a $9-10 product so there is no point in paying that when quickssl is better

Viola Burns: It is same amount.

Damien: so it will continue at $89.95 per "2-year" term?

Damien: or is that a new account only rate?

Damien: Also does the quickssl cover both wildvettes.com and www.wildvettes.com?

Viola Burns: Yes, it will be $89.95 for 2 years.

Viola Burns: It will be installed for the domain www.wildvettes.com .

Damien: I don't know if this is a tech support question or not...I have a 301 redirect for wildvettes.com to www.wildvettes.com. Will that ensure both are protected under the ssl?

Viola Burns: No, it is for www.wildvettes.com .

Damien: ok well that is a problem, because if someone goes to the site without www. then their information will not be encrypted...I'm going to need to purchase two domains?

Viola Burns: No, the SSL will be installed for the www.wildvettes.com .

Viola Burns: SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) protects sensitive information during online transactions easily and securely. It authenticates the identity of your Website and encrypts information sent to the server using encryption technology. The certificate is based on your domain name, for example: https://www.yourdomain.com/ , where yourdomain.com is your actual domain name.

Damien: Ok, is there any return policy if after I purchase it is not protecting both paths?

Viola Burns: All of our SSL certificates are sold with www in them, and issued to the entire domain name. Hence, it is not possible to enable the SSL for the domain name without WWW.

Damien: ok, so that means there is no way to protect a customer's information when they type in wildvettes.com instead of www.wildvettes.com?

Viola Burns: No, Damien.

Damien: That doesn't seem like a very good solution, especially since it is pretty common with ssl and you guys do not support third party ssl. What would be my pro-rated refund for hosting services at this point in time?

Viola Burns: I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Damien: * Security: business identity authentication, strong 256-bit encryption, 2048-bit root * Assurance: $100k warranty, GeoTrust dynamic True Site Seal trustmark * Convenience: issued in minutes, 1-6 year validity options * Cost-effective: unlimited server licenses, unlimited free reissues for certificate lifetime * Universality: support for more than 99% of browsers and most mobile device browsers * Multiplicity: SAN / Multi-Domain / UCC / Wildcard options available * Bonus: secure domain.com for free when you order www.domain.com

Damien: this is off quickssl's website...

Damien: the bonus at the bottom

Viola Burns: No, it is not possible to enable the SSL for the domain name without WWW.

Damien: then why would the issuing company of the ssl certificate say it is?

Damien: http://www.geotrust.com/ssl/ssl-certificates-premium/

Damien: you guys are merely selling their services no?

Viola Burns: I appreciate your patience. I am researching on the issue but I will return in 3-4 minutes with some more information.

Damien: ok

Viola Burns: Thank you for holding.

Viola Burns: You can write the code in the .htaccess file to create 301 redirect. You can search for sample codes in search engines.

Viola Burns: If anyone access the domain, then it will redirect to the www.

Damien: lol

Damien: if you read my responses above I already asked you that and you told me that would not work

Damien: I don't know if this is a tech support question or not...I have a 301 redirect for wildvettes.com to www.wildvettes.com. Will that ensure both are protected under the ssl?

Damien: Viola Burns: No, it is for www.wildvettes.com

Damien: I'm very confused now

Viola Burns: I am sorry. Yes, it will be redirect to the www.

Viola Burns: I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Damien: ok, thank you

Viola Burns: You're welcome!

Damien: do I need to go the the link on ipage's site to order?

Viola Burns: Yes. If you wish, I can purchase it for you.

Damien: Yes I will be purchasing it, but I'm not sure which credit card I have on file with you.

Viola Burns: Okay.

Viola Burns: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Damien: nope that was it, thank you

Viola Burns: Thank you for chatting with us. Please feel free to contact us at any time. We are available 24x7.

Chat InformationChat session has been terminated by the site operator.

What you are asking them for is wildcard SSL (*.yourdomain.com) which is usually up to $150 more than the standard issue (www.yourdomain.com).

- Stop Oscommerce hacks dead in their tracks with osC_Sec (see discussion here)
- Another discussion about infected files ::here::
- A discussion on file permissions ::here::
- Site hacked? Should you upgrade or not, some thoughts ::here::
- Fix the admin login bypass exploit here
- Pareto Security: New security addon I am developing, a remake of osC_Sec in PHP 5 with a number of fixes
- BTC:1LHiMXedmtyq4wcYLedk9i9gkk8A8Hk7qX

What you are asking them for is wildcard SSL (*.yourdomain.com) which is usually up to $150 more than the standard issue (www.yourdomain.com).

Their site clearly states that their quickssl premium package contains ssl for www.yourdomain.com and yourdomain.com This is off their website directly

http://www.geotrust.com/ssl/ssl-certificates-premium/

Key Benefits

* Save time and money with inexpensive, easy, and convenient SSL

* Show customers you care about their security by getting your SSL from a credible security company

* Get more for your money with unlimited licenses, free reissues and the GeoTrust reputation

Partner with security experts. Online security is our core focus, so if you have a question you get help from SSL security experts not internet generalists.

Features

* Security: business identity authentication, strong 256-bit encryption, 2048-bit root

* Assurance: $100k warranty, GeoTrust dynamic True Site Seal trustmark

* Convenience: issued in minutes, 1-6 year validity options

* Cost-effective: unlimited server licenses, unlimited free reissues for certificate lifetime

* Universality: support for more than 99% of browsers and most mobile device browsers

* Multiplicity: SAN / Multi-Domain / UCC / Wildcard options available

* Bonus: secure domain.com for free when you order www.domain.com

I believe what you are talking about refers to

apps.yourdomain.com

store.yourdomain.com

etc...

Am I wrong?

Well, I appear to be dealing with a very interesting host company...you may remember my post above about pricing...here is off their website...

On Sale Now — Two Years for Only $89.95!

Buy Now

Note: Two year certificates will now automatically renew every two years at $179.90. One year certificates will now automatically renew every year at $99.95. Customers must manually re-install the certificate. A domain name is required to utilize SSL Certificates.

Shouldn't someone working for a company that likely brings in millions in revenue be able to answer some basic questions about hosting?

Maybe because I was talking to sales and not tech support, I'm not sure...but I'm guessing my level of "in-depth" support and knowledge may be limited with this host. Especially considering the fact I've been only reading into this stuff for a month now.

And here is the answer for anyone else wondering as this comes from geotrust directly in email form...

*** NOTE: This email was automatically generated from a non-response mailbox. ***

Dear Domain Administrator:

The person identified below has requested a QuickSSL Premium certificate for:

https://www.wildvettes.com

https://wildvettes.com

* Bonus: secure domain.com for free when you order www.domain.com

Probably best to ask them what they mean by that. Seems strange that they would offer like every other SSL reseller, the www.yourdomain.com and *.yourdomain.com then give away *.yourdomain.com as a bonus.

- Stop Oscommerce hacks dead in their tracks with osC_Sec (see discussion here)
- Another discussion about infected files ::here::
- A discussion on file permissions ::here::
- Site hacked? Should you upgrade or not, some thoughts ::here::
- Fix the admin login bypass exploit here
- Pareto Security: New security addon I am developing, a remake of osC_Sec in PHP 5 with a number of fixes
- BTC:1LHiMXedmtyq4wcYLedk9i9gkk8A8Hk7qX

Probably best to ask them what they mean by that. Seems strange that they would offer like every other SSL reseller, the www.yourdomain.com and *.yourdomain.com then give away *.yourdomain.com as a bonus.

The confirmation email they sent me states it is covering both domains in the package

Archived