Latest News: (loading..)
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
justinswaa

OSC V3

56 posts in this topic

90% of those webhosting companies would be resellers of the very few "real" hosting companies. So the conclusion is not quite as dramatic as it could be.

Yep totally agree, if you also add VPS / Cloud / Dedicated servers into the mix you are into 1000's of hosting companies as well so I think people jumping up and down saying its wrong to have PHP 5.3 as a minimum requirement are just spreading pointless FUD.

2.3 is also a supported release and will be getting some updates soon to fix some of the known bugs so people have a real choice, stick with the 2.3 series which while its a pain to modify and upgrade will run just about anywhere, or use 3.x which is a little more strict but will be what the future is built on.

[...] people have a real choice, stick with the 2.3 series which while its a pain to modify and upgrade will run just about anywhere, or use 3.x which is a little more strict but will be what the future is built on.

Like everywhere, there are conservatives and progressives

I have taken today off work to spend time installing and assessing V3, will it be released today or should i go to work and re-book the time out for next week?

I think if you provide a countdown you should stick to it, you must have known some days ago that you wern't going to make the deadline, a quick update of the countdown page would have kept us all in the loop.

I don't want to seem ungrateful, because i really do appreciate all the hard work that everyone is putting into this project, but missing your own launch date rather than altering the date is a PR no no.

I upgraded my server to PHP5.3 in anticipation, anyone who rents a root server or cloud server can do the upgrade themselves, it is only those with a hosting account on a shared server that will suffer. If your hosting provider doesn't support 5.3 vote with your feet.

Edited by rogerwhitfield

I have taken today off work to spend time installing and assessing V3, will it be released today or should i go to work and re-book the time out for next week?

I think if you provide a countdown you should stick to it, you must have known some days ago that you wern't going to make the deadline, a quick update of the countdown page would have kept us all in the loop.

I don't want to seem ungrateful, because i really do appreciate all the hard work that everyone is putting into this project, but missing your own launch date rather than altering the date is a PR no no.

I upgraded my server to PHP5.3 in anticipation, anyone who rents a root server or cloud server can do the upgrade themselves, it is only those with a hosting account on a shared server that will suffer. If your hosting provider doesn't support 5.3 vote with your feet.

I'm sorry, but I can not understand this point.

It may be a PR mistake to announce a countdown and then not to keep it, but that's all. Just a PR issue.

Who said that the team members are pr professionals? Do we want them or do we like them because of their PR skills? I think no.

So what do we want from them? To provide a good software, and I think that is exactly what they are doing, I can not think they spend the last hours drinking beer instead of releasing version 3.

For me it doesn't matter if the release delay a little.

If your that desperate to take a look just download it from https://github.com/osCommerce/oscommerce there is no need to wait

Hello?

Countdown says "today" and the download is for the alpha version still.

Is OSC v3 finished?

I'm desperate. My sites are being hacked non-stop....

:) --- OK it is April Fools Day here in the U.S.A. --- :)

I guess the countdown was to April 1st

On a serious note -- waiting for release with bated breath!

I am sure this new system will be better than fantastic!!

---

Just peaked at the git repository -- A lot of activity and the code looks Greeeeeaaaaaat!

Will check in tomorrow --- Regards all ---

Edited by osccoder

Thanks Mark, I can now see what is happening on github, and my frustrations are subsiding.

I think I will go to work and re-schedule some time next week.

George - The PR thing was ony an observation not a criticism, the most important thing is always the code, and I have nothing but admiration for the team.

re php versions: as my ISP has correctly informed me, they won't upgrade from 5.2 to 5.3 yet as it would break a lot of scripts for a lot of people...

Whatever happened to backwards compatibility?

There is no.

Either change the host or don't use v3

There was no way we could be backwards compatible and move the codebase forward enough to be a good base for the future. As I've said a few times recently, if your not a developer don't use v3.x for now, 2.3 is a supported released and will receive more updates to keep the general userbase busy.

If you really want v3.x then you pay a little more per month and get a VPS, there are 1000's of companies offering them which will give you PHP 5.3.

Supporting every shared hosting company out there will do nothing but hold everyone back

re php versions: as my ISP has correctly informed me, they won't upgrade from 5.2 to 5.3 yet as it would break a lot of scripts for a lot of people...

Its called progress. If people thought the same when cars were invented, we would still be riding horses.

[...]if your not a developer don't use v3.x for now[...]

Only for developers...., that's fine, for now.

Let's hope it will not turn out to be only for Hawaiians :)

Hi All..

Here's the official download link! Special for community members ;-)

http://www.oscommerce.com/get/1

This will be added to the website and Countdown site within an hour. The newsletter will be published tonight.

I'll be active on the forum over the weekend helping everyone out :-)

We just reached the largest milestone in our history, and now there's even more work to do! :-)

Enjoy!

multimixer likes this

Here's a boost for the glass half full crowd....

Apparently (in the UK at least) the credit card companies will soon (possibly in the next 3 or 4 months) require PHP 5.3 for servers to pass their PCI compliance test, so this will force the hand of hosts to upgrade...

Wow Wow Wow

I just downloaded OSCOM 3.0 on to a MacBook Pro with MAMP PRO, Debian Squeeze with tweaks, and now working on an Alpha Processor Based System - not done yet.

The code works, thus far, flawlessly --- Excellent Job and Work!!

To the development team - worth waiting for!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards to all,

osccoder

Here's a boost ......

not quite. how many onlineshops need pci? very few and only those who is big enough to have a dedicated server, and if you have a dedicated server, do whatever you like.

for argument sake, paypal (which i dont like btw) speaks loud and clear its taken the pci hassle out of majority of online shops by having its server(s) pci'ed so that you dont have to, unless for some bizarre reason you want to use its so-called 'direct payment'.

and so is true for other payment processing providers.

bottom line: if you do not store card details in your database on the server, pci is irrelevant, and so is php v5.3.x.

ken

Edited by GemRock

Hi Ken..

if you do not store card details in your database on the server, pci is irrelevant, and so is php v5.3.x.

Until when? PHP 5.2 reached its end of life with 5.2.16 released on 16th Dec 2010, and PCI requires the software used to be kept up to date regarding security fixes.

This isn't an issue yet as PHP 5.2.17 was released on the 6th Jan 2011 with a "critical issue" fix. But how long will PHP bring out security or critical fixes for 5.2?

Kind regards,

Edited by Harald Ponce de Leon
fixed the quote

not quite. how many onlineshops need pci? very few and only those who is big enough to have a dedicated server, and if you have a dedicated server, do whatever you like.

for argument sake, paypal (which i dont like btw) speaks loud and clear its taken the pci hassle out of majority of online shops by having its server(s) pci'ed so that you dont have to, unless for some bizarre reason you want to use its so-called 'direct payment'.

and so is true for other payment processing providers.

bottom line: if you do not store card details in your database on the server, pci is irrelevant, and so is php v5.3.x.

ken

Not quite right, even if you just transmit cc details you are also required to be PCI compliant. (ie. the customer enters the cc info on your site, you do not store this info in the db, but the cc info is transmitted to the payment processor for further processing)

Ie. using your own merchant account and a payment processor like authorize.net, PayPal Pro, PayPal Payflow or similar you are still required to be PCI compliant.

Its only when using a payment processor where the cc info is entered on the payment processors servers that you don't need to be PCI compliant. (like standard PayPal, Moneybookers, 2checkout, Nochex or similar)

Not quite right, even if you just transmit cc details you are also required to be PCI compliant. (ie. the customer enters the cc info on your site, you do not store this info in the db, but the cc info is transmitted to the payment processor for further processing)

Ie. using your own merchant account and a payment processor like authorize.net, PayPal Pro, PayPal Payflow or similar you are still required to be PCI compliant.

Its only when using a payment processor where the cc info is entered on the payment processors servers that you don't need to be PCI compliant. (like standard PayPal, Moneybookers, 2checkout, Nochex or similar)

No, if you use a gateway like worldpay or paypal, the customer is diverted to their server before entering cc details, so nothing is entered on your own site. It's possible that you still would need compliancy for your own site though, even just to handle name and address details. PCI compliance forms are a nightmare. My shared host have said that they will upgrade in the next 2 or 3 months because of PCI compliance. I suppose there only need to be 1 or 2 out of maybe a few thousand who need the server to be compliant for them to need the upgrade. Small stores are often the one that store data and process offline to avaoid the high commissions of gateways

No, if you use a gateway like worldpay or paypal, the customer is diverted to their server before entering cc details, so nothing is entered on your own site. It's possible that you still would need compliancy for your own site though, even just to handle name and address details. PCI compliance forms are a nightmare. My shared host have said that they will upgrade in the next 2 or 3 months because of PCI compliance. I suppose there only need to be 1 or 2 out of maybe a few thousand who need the server to be compliant for them to need the upgrade. Small stores are often the one that store data and process offline to avaoid the high commissions of gateways

If you read my post before replying you would see that i already said that some processors offer a solution where you are sent to their site/server to input the cc info and that if you use one of those for your payment then you would not be required to be PCI compliant.

BUT for instance PayPal offer several payment modules, and only some will work like that. PayPal Standard, PayPal IPN and PayPal Express.

WHILE PayPal Pro and PayPal PayFlow does not sent the customer to the paypal servers, and the cc info is transmitted via your website if you use one of those..and hence you will need to be PCI compliant.

WorldPay also have several optional ways of doing transactions, and if you use a module for their direct methods you will also need to be PCI compliant.

Its very easy to check for yourself what "style" module you are using, go through your own checkout and if you are asked to input cc info there you are using a "direct" module and need to be PCI compliant.

If on the other hand you are not asked to input any cc info on your site but are redirected to the payment processors web pages to input the cc info, then you are not required to be PCI compliant.

Edited by toyicebear

If you read my post before replying you would see that i already said that some processors offer a solution where you are sent to their site/server to input the cc info and that if you use one of those for your payment then you would not be required to be PCI compliant.

BUT for instance PayPal offer several payment modules, and only some will work like that. PayPal Standard, PayPal IPN and PayPal Express.

WHILE PayPal Pro and PayPal PayFlow does not sent the customer to the paypal servers, and the cc info is transmitted via your website if you use one of those..and hence you will need to be PCI compliant.

WorldPay also have several optional ways of doing transactions, and if you use a module for their direct methods you will also need to be PCI compliant.

Its very easy to check for yourself what "style" module you are using, go through your own checkout and if you are asked to input cc info there you are using a "direct" module and need to be PCI compliant.

If on the other hand you are not asked to input any cc info on your site but are redirected to the payment processors web pages to input the cc info, then you are not required to be PCI compliant.

Didn't realise that. Seems to defeat the purpose of a payment gateway if people are inputting card data on a website that is not part of the payment gateway. I would guess that this is the less common scenario though..

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0