Latest News: (loading..)
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
justinswaa

OSC V3

56 posts in this topic

Hello?

Countdown says "today" and the download is for the alpha version still.

Is OSC v3 finished?

I'm desperate. My sites are being hacked non-stop....

Hi Justin..

The last hours are always the longest. We're looking at releasing it tonight (CEST).

Kind regards,

I personally would not mind if it would be tomorrow morning

I mean, after such a long time, and after so much hard work, it really doesn't matter.

Even for the smallest task, you run in the last minute to fix this or that, or to include some last idea, so I can imagine for a new version.

Why not use Hawaii time instead of CET ? :)

I'm desperate. My sites are being hacked non-stop....

I believe the best course of action would be to secure your current sites as an immediate migration to v3 upon release will not be possible. It will probably take a little time after release to solidify the Applications necessary to run a basic shop and it is yet to be seen how fast the addons will roll out.

DunWeb and Pronux like this

As stated on the countdown page

Please note that although we have strived for and are delivering a flexible and stable framework to build on, the initial v3.0 release will not contain sufficient user features to be able to run an Online Shop on.

I don't complain, this all is great and I know, it's always said "do something", and this "something" results into "fork from github and do whatever you think" and, in most of cases, this results to "nothing" for most of the people, including my self.

I mean, if there would be some kind of guidance and task management, then more people could participate in any development doing bigger or smaller tasks, according to what they are good in, coding something, designing something, whatever

I believe the best course of action would be to secure your current sites as an immediate migration to v3 upon release will not be possible. It will probably take a little time after release to solidify the Applications necessary to run a basic shop and it is yet to be seen how fast the addons will roll out.

I agree, I personally don't think v3.x will be used by very many for some time after its release, and definitely won't be supported by many forum members for quite some time after that, so unless mark and Harald plan to start spending much more time in the forums answering questions, any posts will likely go without answers.

Chris

Pronux likes this

I agree, I personally don't think v3.x will be used by very many for some time after its release, and definitely won't be supported by many forum members for quite some time after that, so unless mark and Harald plan to start spending much more time in the forums answering questions, any posts will likely go without answers.

Chris

Personally, I don't want Harald and Mark spending more time answering questions on the forums when their time could be focused on improving the codebase. The community will have to build itself up around v3. I think there will be more early adopters than you think, myself included, but I just wanted to make it clear you will not be able to run a store on v3 tomorrow.

Pronux likes this

Danny,

There have been FIVE (5) identified hosting providers that will support PHP 5.3. 99% of current users more than likely aren't hosted with them. I personally have 7 hosting accounts with 4 hosting providers, none of which support PHP 5.3, therefore.....I won't be upgrading ANY of my clients to v3.x until such a time that my current hosting accounts are upgraded to PHP 5.3. Having said that, I also know that only a a couple of the top forum posters are opening new hosting accounts so they can accommodate v3.x so, the number of available members to help with v3.x issues will be VERY limited.

Chris

Pronux likes this

There is a new "sticky" topic, PHP 5.3 Hosting, which right now list 4 hosting providers who have PHP5.3 available, i guess that list will grow quite a bit in the coming days/weeks.

Pronux likes this

Hi George..

I mean, if there would be some kind of guidance and task management, then more people could participate in any development doing bigger or smaller tasks, according to what they are good in, coding something, designing something, whatever

This will come together in the coming days. At the moment we are opening up development to receive help on improving the core framework and to finalize the base user feature set. We are publishing monthly roadmaps to show what we're working on so those interested can help out.

The killer user features will come after this. It is your choice to help us out at the core or to start working on killer Add-Ons :-)

Kind regards,

dannyhenderson and Pronux like this

Thanks for the advice. So maybe I'll just have to go to 2.3.1 if 3 won't be enough to make a working store. I thought that it was going to ship with a lot more addons than previous versions, but maybe not.. I think I have secured my existing 2.2 installations. At least for now. But the hacking problems I had were a nightmare to work out - I did everything suggested to secure the sites and the hackers kept on coming (turned out to be the file "cookieusage.php" which doesn't even do anything usful) and not too hot for client relations...

Problem is that I have done so much hacking and customisation to my installations that any upgrade will be like starting from scratch, so I'd like to at least go to the latest version to make it last a bit longer before the next upgrade.

Pronux likes this

There have been FIVE (5) identified hosting providers that will support PHP 5.3. 99% of current users more than likely aren't hosted with them.

There are now 9 and thats just the shared packages cool.gif, I can probably make that into the 100's if we included VPS / Dedicated servers.

To make a long story short, 3.x is in it for the long haul, its not ready to be used by people that don't know what they are doing and I think thats a good thing. We should all stop looking for the new shiny thing and lets give it time to bed down and stabalise, get other developers trained up and get the community addons and contributions to core rolling in. This will all benefit the codebase and the userbase considerably for the future and was one of the core goals of the 3.x series.

Its "cup 1/2 full" time and not "cup 1/2 empty" thumbsup.gif

There are now 9 and thats just the shared packages cool.gif, I can probably make that into the 100's if we included VPS / Dedicated servers.To make a long story short, 3.x is in it for the long haul, its not ready to be used by people that don't know what they are doing and I think thats a good thing. We should all stop looking for the new shiny thing and lets give it time to bed down and stabalise, get other developers trained up and get the community addons and contributions to core rolling in. This will all benefit the codebase and the userbase considerably for the future and was one of the core goals of the 3.x series.Its "cup 1/2 full" time and not "cup 1/2 empty" thumbsup.gif

Here are some numbers to put those NONE (9) into a relative ratio:

According to Intac.net:

As of May 3, 2010, the United States is the top country for Web hosting companies. There are 23,619 Web hosting companies in the United States.

Canada is the number two country for Web hosting companies. There are 2,725 Web hosting companies in Canada.

The United Kingdom is the third-biggest country for Web hosting companies. There are 2,656 Web hosting companies in the United Kingdom.

Germany is the number four country for Web hosting companies. There are 2,378 Web hosting companies in Germany.

The Netherlands is the number five country for Web hosting companies. There are 1,728 Web hosting companies in the Netherlands.

Spain is the number six country for Web hosting companies. There are 1,629 Web hosting companies in Spain.

Turkey is the number seven country for Web hosting companies. There are 1,461 Web hosting companies in Turkey.

France is the number eight country for Web hosting companies. There are 1,148 Web hosting companies in France.

India ties for the number eight Web hosting country. There are 1,148 Web hosting companies in India.

Spain is the number 10 Web hosting country. There are 1,072 Web hosting companies in Spain.

So really a whole NINE right ? That's helpful !

Chris

Here are some numbers to put those NONE (9) into a relative ratio:

So your the cup 1/2 empty then laugh.gif

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty - Winston Churchill

Edited by Mark Evans
Hotclutch and Pronux like this

90% of those webhosting companies would be resellers of the very few "real" hosting companies. So the conclusion is not quite as dramatic as it could be.

In any case, it does not matter what hosts are ready just now - if *any* people want to use 3 for a live shop, they are;

a. crazy

b. delusional

c. mad

d. hardcore php developers

e. all of the above ;)

It is simple to set up localhost with all the required extensions, which is surely enough for developers to get on with developing, and for potential users to test out the bare-bones code that is being released today.

Pronux likes this

So your the cup 1/2 empty then laugh.gif

Mark,

I am a realist, creating something that only a handful of hosting companies can provide hosting services for is absolutely ridiculous. It's like building a car that requires moon rocks as fuel. There are about 12 on earth right now, the other 9 million potential automobile purchasers will have to wait for them to become available.

I believe the development team should have set their requirements a little lower, perhaps PHP 5.2 so perhaps the majority of osCommerce users can update and take advantage of the new features and stronger code base that will available.

Chris

Pronux likes this

dunces question....

so, if my host doesn't run PHP 5.3, but runs php 5.008008, there's no point in me even thinking about OSC3?

My experience of hosting companies is that they don't upgrade php too ofgten as it causes a fair bit of chaos when they do...

Can we download this soon? It's 23:22 (11:22PM) CET now. I can't wait anymore!

I hope something gets released soon, just so that the critics can have something else to keep themselves busy with for awhile. :lol:

so, if my host doesn't run PHP 5.3, but runs php 5.008008, there's no point in me even thinking about OSC3?

You need PHP 5.3 for osc 3.

Hi All..

Last changes are still being performed - v3.0 will be released in a few hours.

Kind regards,

Mark,

I am a realist, creating something that only a handful of hosting companies can provide hosting services for is absolutely ridiculous. It's like building a car that requires moon rocks as fuel. There are about 12 on earth right now, the other 9 million potential automobile purchasers will have to wait for them to become available.

I believe the development team should have set their requirements a little lower, perhaps PHP 5.2 so perhaps the majority of osCommerce users can update and take advantage of the new features and stronger code base that will available.

Chris

I'm very grateful for all of the work that you guy have done, but I have to agree with this. I've used several hosts and my current one is more up to date than most and they're not even at 5.2. My only option now is to spend a lot of time upgrading to v2.3.1 which is obsolete as far as the developers are concerned so no more bug or security fixes and more sleeples nights when sites get hacked...

Hi Justin..

My only option now is to spend a lot of time upgrading to v2.3.1 which is obsolete as far as the developers are concerned so no more bug or security fixes and more sleeples nights when sites get hacked...

v2.3 is still supported. There are no security issues that we are aware of with the release.

Kind regards,

v2.3 is still supported. There are no security issues that we are aware of with the release.

The one that needs addressing at some point is the issue of admin session code injection.

http://www.yoursite.com/admin/index.php?osCAdminID=somefakehashcodehere

A site owner could be tricked into logging in via that link which then would allow an attacker to log in using the same spoofed osCAdminID hash.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0