Latest News: (loading..)
Sign in to follow this  
sheepiedog

Manufacturer Description

I need to add description text to the top of the manufacturer pages.

I have been looking for hours and hours through contributions and through the forums.

I have found loads of contributions to add description text to Category pages, but not Manufacturer.

I have found contributions where the manufacturer description text is a tiny part of a larger contribution (such as the meta tag contribution, but I already have my meta tags all done).

I have found contributions that add the manufacturer text to each product page - but not the top of the manufacturer page

I have found tons of other posts of people looking for the same thing :-) - but I cant find an answer.

I am looking for something simple like:

Unique Category Descriptions -- made simple 1.0

but for the manufacturer page instead.

Have i missed something ? It seems that this would be an important feature, but cant locate anything suitable....

I implemented this in my MS2.2 shop using http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6490. This contribution adds a manufacturers box with the manufacturers description to the body of the product info page, but I worked out a way of adding the info to the product listing page as well.

I'm now looking for a v2.3.1 solution. I've been through the list of 2.3.1. addons and can't see anything there yet. There's been some mention that this can be done through the Header Tags SEO but I'm way out of my depth here.

Yes, Header Tags SEO will provide that option, as well as category and product descriptions.

Okay, I found this description of the contribution in one of the install files (it might be worth adding it to the download description.)

This contribution allows a shop to have a unique title and meta tags

for any page in the shop which is essential for having a shops pages

listed well with the search engines. It also provides the option of

adding category and manufacturer descriptions, using social bookmarks

and optimizes many other parts of the shop for the search engines.

This sounds useful so I'm going to give it a go - will report back later!

Okay, I found this description of the contribution in one of the install files (it might be worth adding it to the download description.)

Yes, that would be nice but it is not allowed.

I've implemented this now and it works nicely. I've found the header tag functionality useful too, but I think it would be quite easy to implement just the manufacturer description changes from the download if you didn't want the full addon.

One thing I found odd was the hardcoding of <h2> around the manufacturer description and the setting of this to 14px in the stylesheet. I changed this to <p> and didn't bother with the stylesheet changes.

I've implemented this now and it works nicely. I've found the header tag functionality useful too, but I think it would be quite easy to implement just the manufacturer description changes from the download if you didn't want the full addon.

One thing I found odd was the hardcoding of <h2> around the manufacturer description and the setting of this to 14px in the stylesheet. I changed this to <p> and didn't bother with the stylesheet changes.

Yes, one could create a contribution for just manufacturer descriptions. There is one for categories description. But it seems a waste of time if you don't optimize the shop for the search engines. The idea behind the h2 tag, and other changes is to improve the SEO of your shop. You can remove any of them if you like but it sort of defeats the purpose.