• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Finding V 2.3.1 Add-ons that actually work

dewed

After using previous version of OSCommerce to create clients site's I decided it was time to move to a newer version. Now I am regretting that decision, because there are so few add-ons for v2.3.1 that actually work. In fact the only one I can say that works is "Ultimate Seo Urls 5 PRO" and even that gives a harmless error in the admin panel. Granted I have not tried all the add-ons for 2.3.1, just the ones I actually want.

What's worse, some add-ons claim to be compatible , but aren't, such as the Ajax product attribute add-on. After installing it, I couldn't add any more attributes to products.

Any hope of someone else reviewing current add-ons? especially those that were most widely used for previous version of OSC? If I ever get caught up on current projects I will definitely adopt an addon, and work to make it 2.3.1 ready, but right now I simply don't have the time.

Just call me Dewed ...

After using previous version of OSCommerce to create clients site's I decided it was time to move to a newer version. Now I am regretting that decision, because there are so few add-ons for v2.3.1 that actually work. In fact the only one I can say that works is "Ultimate Seo Urls 5 PRO" and even that gives a harmless error in the admin panel. Granted I have not tried all the add-ons for 2.3.1, just the ones I actually want.

What's worse, some add-ons claim to be compatible , but aren't, such as the Ajax product attribute add-on. After installing it, I couldn't add any more attributes to products.

Any hope of someone else reviewing current add-ons? especially those that were most widely used for previous version of OSC? If I ever get caught up on current projects I will definitely adopt an addon, and work to make it 2.3.1 ready, but right now I simply don't have the time.

Not sure what you've actually tested, but Im running 2.3 & I have around 15 add ons installed & my site that actually work. There are quite a few add ons available now compared to when 2.3 was first launched & there's

more popping up every day. I also find most add ons are a lot easier to install on 2.3 than other Osc versions.

The code in 2.3 is a lot different than other versions, it just takes a bit of getting used to. You need to install add ons modified for 2.3 most others will not work unless you tweak the code

Perhaps I'm not clear. There seems to be little to no quality checks on submitted the add-ons. Maybe the code is great, but the documentation is inadequate or incomplete, or vice-versa.

The add-ons I need, the ones I have tried, although they state they are 2.3.1 ready, aren't. As in, after installing them following the directions provided, they simply do not work.

The AJAX attribute manager is a glaring example of this. States it is 2.3.1 ready, and using the instructions, which seem to be missing some steps, or perhaps neglects to mention perquisite add-on. After installation, no way to add new attributes, then experience the joy of un-installing it. also not covered in the documentation. Maybe the code is stellar, but without the documentation to get it working, it is worthless.

Like I said, the only add-on I've successfully gotten to work uses mod-rewrite, and minor tweaks to the html_output function, adding it certainly doesn't get you far under the hood of 2.3.1

And yes of course I know 2.3.1 is different, which is why I'm trying to find working add-ons specifically for this version. While I'm no PHP dummy, I'm on the clock creating an ecommerce site for a client. At this point I'm just about ready to scrap it and start over with an older version of OSC

Also, 2.3 != 2.3.1 sorry to sound jaded, but having a pile of working code congeal into a bowl of spaghetti does that to a person.

Just call me Dewed ...

Perhaps I'm not clear. There seems to be little to no quality checks on submitted the add-ons. Maybe the code is great, but the documentation is inadequate or incomplete, or vice-versa.

The add-ons I need, the ones I have tried, although they state they are 2.3.1 ready, aren't. As in, after installing them following the directions provided, they simply do not work.

The AJAX attribute manager is a glaring example of this. States it is 2.3.1 ready, and using the instructions, which seem to be missing some steps, or perhaps neglects to mention perquisite add-on. After installation, no way to add new attributes, then experience the joy of un-installing it. also not covered in the documentation. Maybe the code is stellar, but without the documentation to get it working, it is worthless.

Like I said, the only add-on I've successfully gotten to work uses mod-rewrite, and minor tweaks to the html_output function, adding it certainly doesn't get you far under the hood of 2.3.1

And yes of course I know 2.3.1 is different, which is why I'm trying to find working add-ons specifically for this version. While I'm no PHP dummy, I'm on the clock creating an ecommerce site for a client. At this point I'm just about ready to scrap it and start over with an older version of OSC

Also, 2.3 != 2.3.1 sorry to sound jaded, but having a pile of working code congeal into a bowl of spaghetti does that to a person.

Close to all 2.2 add-ons can be easily modified to work with a 2.3 shop too.

Maybe you could list what add ons you would like & maybe someone could point you to ones that do work :)

Have you looked Here it might help you

I have notice with a few that are uploaded are not complete & have files missing, maybe because the person uploading the add on has just simply not tested it or just forgot some part of it, or the file paths are wrong for 2.3.

I dont know why, but for whatever the reason, I find myself correcting it so it will work on my site but regardless of what version you have or what add on you use. Some clash but I find most work quite well together. (for me anyway)

2.3.1 Just takes a bit of getting used too. I didn't like it either but now I prefer it

I don't know if you have been, but report your problems in the support thread for the addon. You may not get any help, but at least you're letting other people know what to expect. Then maybe if you're lucky and someone needs to fix it, they'll let you know when they've done it, or you'll find they already did.

It's not unusual for files to get missed out of a package, and it's not easy for the developer to pick up on either; you might just be missing a file. I spent several hours debugging a problem with one addon, only to find later by reading the instructions for modifying the code that there was a file missing from the package. It was clear the whole time from the support thread that loads of people already had it working, so I knew it had to be something obvious.

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x