• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Advise re product_info.php page

warrenerjm

Hi

I noticed on my existing site MS2.2 that Google was indexing all the product links from "specials" & "customers who bought this" as well as the product itself.

This meant that when a customer was searching they were given this link (good they come to my site) but then they don't find the product they are searching for or anything relevant to it on that landing page (not good) Like me they would probably go away rather than search further in my site.

This time on v2.3.1 I have removed the "new products" from the categories & have it only on the front page. On the product_info page now I have only the product & the side column for "New Products". The specials side column box doesn't show in product_info.

I'm thinking of removing the "New products" box in the side column like the "specials" & only having the product on that page, so customers are not directed there wrongly.

My questions are:

>Is this good for SEO reducing the number of product links compared to getting the right links for the customers?

>How do I get the "New Products" side column box not to appear on the product_info page but stay the same for all the other pages it appears on?

>Any other suggestions to get this right?

I will be adding the "Related products" add-on if/when it is compatable for v2.3.1 because it stays the same & is related to the searched for item.

I can't find where the code is for the boxes in the columns? Searches proving fruitless.

Can you point me in the right direction please, so I can see what is done to the new_products & the specials in the products_info pages.

Thanks

Archived