• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Europe Cookie Laws

andy_1984

i have found something jquery based which will handle google analytics (opt in / out) and on my test site it works rather nicely, so i should be able to upload to the addons within half an hour - in case anyone else needs it

Phoenix support now at https://phoenixcart.org/forum/
App created for phoenix
TinyMCE editor for admin

If I understand this correctly, this law applies to EU registered companies/businesses, whilst server location where the site is hosted is irrelevant?

My business is registered outside of the EU, but my site is hosted on a UK server, to my understanding this law doesn't apply to me. Please correct me if I'm wrong?

~ Don't mistake my kindness for weakness ~

Ok, the EU cookie laws mean nothing to me....but, one question keeps coming to mind.....

What bureaucratic idiot decided that website cookies needed a governing policy ? What a crock of sh*t !

JMO

Chris

just upload to the addon section instructions on how i added jpecrga to oscomerce

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8453

basically what it does is to have a inobtrusive method of gaining user consent BEFORE using Google Analytics which requies cookies.

App created for phoenix
TinyMCE editor for admin

I'm SOOOOOO glad we leave the cookie business to the Girl Scouts and the Keebler elves on this side of the pond...

:huh:

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

I'm SOOOOOO glad we leave the cookie business to the Girl Scouts and the Keebler elves on this side of the pond...

:huh:

LMAO....me too....BUT, you guys have Homeland security trying to control the internet there.......nothing good could come from that !

Chris

Is there a way to find out what cookies my site uses?

Go into your browser and ask it to display all cookies. Those generated by your site will be easy to see, but Third Party (e.g., Google Analytics) may be difficult to tell what site they came from.

And some webhosts offer analytics that track visitors IP addresses and locations, is this done with cookies?

Depends. Your host has access to logged access information that browsers can't see, and so usually doesn't need to resort to cookies. Third Party analytics like Google do usually need to use cookies.

What bureaucratic idiot decided that website cookies needed a governing policy ? What a crock of sh*t !

As with most intrusive regulations, the intentions were good but the implementation was badly flawed. The idea was to stop the massive invasion of privacy by "tracking cookies". Unfortunately, the bureaucrats simply banned the use of all cookies (without explicit permission by the browser user), not really differentiating between cookies necessary to run a site (e.g., sessions) and evil tracking.

Just ignore the EU cookie laws. They're not worth the paper they're written on. Maybe if you call them "biscuits" (British usage) instead, the law won't apply to them? >_<

@@puddlec

Great - I will embody that on my 2.2 sites, I have used a cookie viewer as I went around my site, and apart from the Google analytics and site functionality cookies, I have a host of cookies set by facebook (for the like buttons) and Youtube (for videos showing products in use).

Do I need to worry about these ? or do I overlook them as they are set externally?

This is what the ICO website privacy policy says about this:

YouTube cookies

We embed videos from our official YouTube channel using YouTube’s privacy-enhanced mode. This mode may set cookies on your computer once you click on the YouTube video player, but YouTube will not store personally-identifiable cookie information for playbacks of embedded videos using the privacy-enhanced mode. To find out more please visit YouTube’s embedding videos information page.

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

@@puddlec

Great - I will embody that on my 2.2 sites, I have used a cookie viewer as I went around my site, and apart from the Google analytics and site functionality cookies, I have a host of cookies set by facebook (for the like buttons) and Youtube (for videos showing products in use).

Do I need to worry about these ? or do I overlook them as they are set externally?

This is what the ICO website privacy policy says about this:

i only wrote the insturcutions for osc2.3.1 as that is all i use now,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/privacy/cookies/managing/cookie-settings.html that is the bbc's take on this cookie nonsense - which does mention youtube at the bottom under third party cookies, dunno if you can use simular text

App created for phoenix
TinyMCE editor for admin

Why not just put a disclaimer on the front of your websites stating "THIS WEBSITE USES ALL VARIETIES OF COOKIES. THIS IS YOUR OFFICIAL NOTICE".

That would take care of everything....if ALL websites did that, it would make the cookie law redundant.

Chris

i only wrote the insturcutions for osc2.3.1 as that is all i use now,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/privacy/cookies/managing/cookie-settings.html that is the bbc's take on this cookie nonsense - which does mention youtube at the bottom under third party cookies, dunno if you can use simular text

I dont suppose anyone can take a look at this for 2.2 - as I cant get it to fit

Thanks

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

OK spent all day on this now - and its driving me nuts !

Time for a break...........

It's not the wild west it once was...not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I had to chuckle when I read that. The "Wild West" never was. It was purely 20th century mythology built up in the movies and TV shows. According to historians, there was actually less gunplay in the dusty streets of almost any western settlement than there is today in most large US cities. Disease, privation, isolation, abuse of Indians and minorities, sure. Wild? No.

The Internet and the World Wide Web were architected on the premise that its users would be basically honest and fair in dealing with each other. In academic, military, and government usage, that was probably a fairly safe bet. Once it was thrown open to commercial usage, and money could be made, the cockroaches poured out of the woodwork. I'd almost say that you had it backwards -- it started out genteel and is getting rougher and rougher.

"Implying" means "suggesting, indicating by a hint", so what ICO are saying is confusing, in fact first they say that "implied consent" is sufficient and then they state "You should not rely on the fact that users might have read a privacy policy that is perhaps hard to find or difficult to understand."

If "implied consent" is sufficient, it means that by visiting a site people know that the setting of cookies is a logical consequence. If you need to have an opt out and a warning regarding the setting of cookies, that is not implied anymore.

I would have a clear and unequivocal section about cookies in the privacy page, as for having a text on top of all pages, I guess that's the best way to protect yourself, but it does detract from the general look and feel of a site.

How about getting the opinion of an internet lawyer?

~ Don't mistake my kindness for weakness ~

Hi, cookie laws is something for the kitchen.. or? :)

If you need a sample text have a look at my experimental site http://www.u2commerce.com

Look in the footer and feel free to copy if you like it.

Sara

Does not work with .js off...

Shopowners who rely on this addon are shooting themselves in the foot.

However, it is better than not using anything!

true, tried it would js on, and there was no cookie set from google analytics,

browsers have a do not track option, and google have got something that stops analytics - so would work with implied consent (along with a priv

App created for phoenix
TinyMCE editor for admin

Yes, a little bit. They have it written in their privacy that their site uses cookies. So I will do just the same without any popup or so visitor have to click if they allow cookie, that is just stupid and would propably make that visitors just leave your site.

Edited by strub

Since this seems to be a somber subject I composed a limerick to lighten the mood.

Enjoy!

(w00t)

There once was a website in Wales,

That used cookies to track all their sales.

Then the "cookie law" came nigh,

But their site failed to comply.

And the £500000 fine is the end of this tale.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Yes, a little bit. They have it written in their privacy that their site uses cookies. So I will do just the same without any popup or so visitor have to click if they allow cookie, that is just stupid and would propably make that visitors just leave your site.

The following has been taken from the ICO website.

• Implied consent is a valid form of consent and can be used in the context of compliance with the revised rules on cookies.
  • If you are relying on implied consent you need to be satisfied that your users understand that their actions will result in cookies being set. Without this understanding you do not have their informed consent.
  • You should not rely on the fact that users might have read a privacy policy that is perhaps hard to find or difficult to understand.

• If you think your site complies with just a privacy policy, then leave it as it is, as after all said and done you have had 12 months to make up your mind.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

I also found this on their site

Feedback and reporting cookie concerns

We are inviting people to let us know about the sites they have concerns about by using our 'Report your cookie concerns' tool.

This will help us to monitor organisations’ adherence to the rule relating to cookies, and identify sectors where further advice or enforcement activity may be required. We will update our website with details of any action we are taking.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP