• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New shop (open for real this time), feedback please :)

popstar

I had announced my store being open last week but much has changed since then, mostly due to the design help from gdfwilliams (thank you Greg!!!). Please have a look at my site, http://www.bassco.com and let me know what you think. Please PM me if you'd like more info on costs for the design assistance I received, I can tell you that it was the best investment (at an extremely resonable rate) that our company made in regards to installing OSC.

Thanks,

Ken

Good things happen to good people!

this isn't really a bump, I'm just stumped that my post had 100 hits and I had no feedback from anyone regarding my website. Any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated :stupid:

Ken

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

That is probably why! :?

<? Hello There! ?>

I can see your site..and its pretty cool...

really hard to point things I dont like...

maybe that duplicate quick search 8)

and the click to enlarge picture is not always the same size..

try to uniform that..if you can....

but its pretty cool really...

"Long live the new Flesh"

http://www.personalcare.com.pt

hmm ... weird ... now I see it ...

Might check this a few times during the day, if I am not mistaken I have had a 50-50 chance of seeing the site since you first posted on this.

Sometimes it's there ... sometimes not.

Now that I see it I remember it.

Looking nice btw.

thank you to all for the feedback. I appreciate your thoughts on the images too, I've been giving that alot of thought. It's just so tough when some of the items we sell vary so much in size. I'm still going to try and uniform them all some how. Thanks again to Greg for his continued work on layouts and visuals. You're the :bomb:

Ken

Ken,

Several of the photoediting programs can do "batches" of photos for resizing and/or optimizing. I use one called Xat and I love it! I can set the size of "box I want the image to fit in and optimize the compression at the same time. Really helps a lot when you have lots of different shapes and sizes.

Acemang,

If you are talking about the photediting, I believe I have already mentioned it or something very similar in a thread I have in the Tips and Tricks section. The thread is called I Feel the Need for Speed. There are also some other hints there too...:-)

Sweet! Here is a modded site that I can ask, "how did they do that?"

See his TEXT_MAIN area... how the image for the catalog is with the text... how is that laid out in default.php? I am trying to pull this out of source code but am having a dickens of a time going from source code => PHP.

This is the snippet from default PHP:

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'Welcome to Country Bear's <b>new</b> online shop!<br><br>Still your favorite store, same great folks, just a new look & more feature-rich shopping cart!<br><br>Please sign up for our <b>mailing lists</b> for the latest news & new product updates!<br><br>We are thrilled to be featured in the March/April 2003 <b>Country Business Magazine!</b> Please <a href="http://www.country-bear.com/cbus2003.html"><b>click here</b></a> to see the article & get a glimpse behind the scenes...');

What I don't get is, how do I throw an image in that line, and make my text wrap around it...?

Sillytown.com is another good example of the kind of "look" I'd love to get... http://www.sillytown.com/catalog/default.php ... these sites rock! Way to go, guys! :)

:D Bailey

Bailey,

To modify text or layout of body on the homepage, edit the actual catalog/default.php:

<?php

} else { // default page

?>

<td width="100%" valign="top"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td class="pageHeading"><?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></td>

<td class="pageHeading" align="right"><?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'table_background_default.gif', HEADING_TITLE, HEADING_IMAGE_WIDTH, HEADING_IMAGE_HEIGHT); ?></td>

</tr>

</table></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<tr>

<td class="main"><?php echo tep_customer_greeting(); ?></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td class="main"><br><?php echo TEXT_MAIN; ?></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><br><?php include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_NEW_PRODUCTS); ?></td>

</tr>

<?php

include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_UPCOMING_PRODUCTS);

?>

</table></td>

</tr>

</table></td>

<?php

}

?>

Specifically, this row contains the TD you're concerned with:

<tr> 

<tr> 

<td class="main"><?php echo tep_customer_greeting(); ?></td> 

</tr> 

<tr> 

<td class="main"><br><?php echo TEXT_MAIN; ?></td> 

</tr> 

<tr> 

<td><br><?php include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_NEW_PRODUCTS); ?></td> 

</tr> 

<?php 

include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_UPCOMING_PRODUCTS); 

?> 

</table></td> 

</tr>

That's the table that layout the whole homepage. The text is called from TEXT_MAIN in your language file. Try turning the borders on and adding additional TDs to get a feel for the layout.

- Greg

I had announced my store being open last week but much has changed since then, mostly due to the design help from gdfwilliams (thank you Greg!!!). Please have a look at my site, http://www.bassco.com and let me know what you think. Please PM me if you'd like more info on costs for the design assistance I received, I can tell you that it was the best investment (at an extremely resonable rate) that our company made in regards to installing OSC.

Thanks,

Ken

Nice site, looking really good.

Quick questino?

When click on the "Categories" Football > I see that you have images above the actual Text Links? Could you please let me know, how you did this please. As I think that would be something real nice to add to my shop as well. Thank You

Wayne

Carrz-Fox-Fire Promotions

Thank You

Wayne & Carr Barron

Just looking back on your site, The images you have for the Categories.

When you created the Categories, you just added the images in to the

Newly Created Category, in the "Admin" ? Right??

I think that is what you have done.

Take Care.

Just took me a second to catch that one :-)

Wayne

Carrz-Fox-Fire Promotions

Thank You

Wayne & Carr Barron

• 8 months later...

hi,

an additional question: I've tried to reach you guys, Ken and gdfwilliams to find out how you did the nifty search box in the header.

I downloaded the mod which adds the pulldown menu to the search box, and I've managed to move the box into the header so it shows correctly, but I just can't figure out how to add that 'type keywords' in the search box. :(

I know it's supposed to go into the value= -definition of the textbox but there already is some php code about keywords, so I don't think I can replace it, can I?

So I would really appreciate if you could help me out here, or better yet, let me copy the correct code needed for this function. I'd truly love to add the search box in my site, if that's alright with you?

Cheers!

I have to say, those are the best looking info boxes I have seen in a long time. Nevertheless, I'd get rid of the ones you can, move the rest to the left side and free up the right column to expand the products area.

Archived