• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Template install or upload or whatever it takes.

CreationsbyDanny

OK I have been doing web design for some time, but Joomla and especially oscommerce is a whole new jungle for me. I have just downloaded and installed oscommerce. Of course it came with a setup and a look for a site. I have a template look though I want to incorporate into it. How???!?!!? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Danny,

You can change the stylesheet.css and CSS buttons to match your current website but really the only way to fully incorporate osCommerce with your current site layout is to create a template.

Chris

Chris,

This is a new site so these is not design to have to worry about saving. I am starting with a completely new look. However some of the content that was in the original download of oscommerce is useful. I just want to change the look. So is all I need is a new stylesheet and then what ever images are related with the new look?

Danny

Danny,

Most templates are complete versions of osCommerce. If you purchase a template you need to install it onto your server, then import you current data into the new site. Check my profile for some better coded templates. The one you mentioned is notorious for poorly coded oscommerce templates.

Chris

Chris,

Ok I gotcha now. And all the templates will format and can be changed the same way. Cause I don't have content yet, I am just installed it and playing with sample content for practice. I didn't see anything on your site that caught my eye, but then again I am not sure I saw all you have to offer either. Are there any of the sites out there you would recommend to get templates from, other than you of course :-) Thanks for all the help. Also, just to follow up on what you said. I will have to uninstall the oscommerce we already have installed and do a new install when we get a template we like, correct? Also, I am then assuming there is an install file in the folder once we load it into the server it will run just like what we have now? Thanks again for all the help.

Danny

Edited by CreationsbyDanny

Danny,

There is a corporate sponser banner above with templates as well. Algozone offers some of the better coded templates available commercially.

Yes, you would need to delete your existing site and install the new template using the included installation files.

Chris

One more question... for now.. I have looked through the templates on the site you mentioned and I noticed different versions of oscommerce. Is that going to affect anything we have talked about? If I like a template that is oscommerce 2.2 versus 2.3 I can still just uninstall and reinstall, yes? Thanks again for the help.

Danny,

If you purchase an RC2a template you will need to secure it before using it and then add the security contributions to protect it. If you purchase a v2.3.1 template you only need to add the security contributions to protect because the core code is already updated to be more secure.

Both RC2a and 2.3.1 templates would install the same way.

Chris

Chris,

I have come upon another dilemma. I have figured out how to go in and change the text that appears on my welcome screen. How do I find information to change like on my shipping terms screen or privacy text, etc. ? It is not listed under the same file with the welcome text. Also, how do I add lines. How many different files would i have to add code to to move the welcome greeting down, or add another line of text beneath that? Cause I really doubt I can use the <br> tag like I do in html. Thanks.

Danny

Edited by CreationsbyDanny

Danny,

Actually, you can !

Within the opening ' and closing 'of the TEXT_INFORMATION definition you can add any HTML tags you want and as many lines as you want. Edit the shipping.php, conditions.php and privacy.php files by downloading the files from the server. You will find them at /includes/languages/english/

Chris