• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Canada Taxes + Shipping modules

rickdeis

Hi All

Just installed OSC 2.3.1 plus the Canada Post shipping and Canada tax modules and am trying to work things out. I am in BC and have to charge taxes. A few strange things are happening which I will list later on but first here are my settings:

Tax Zones

Tax Zones

British Columbia HST

Country-------- Zone

Canada ---------- British Columbia

Tax Zones

Canada GST

Country-------- Zone

Canada ---------- All Zones

Tax Classes

Tax Classes

Non Taxable Goods

Taxable Goods

Tax Rates

Priority ---- Tax Class---- Zone---- Tax Rate

2 --------- Taxable Goods ---- British Columbia HST---- 7.00%

2 --------- Taxable Goods ---- British Columbia HST ---- 5.00%

2 --------- Taxable Goods ---- Canada GST ------------- 5.00%

All my products are given a Taxable Goods except "gift certificates" which are Non Taxable Goods.

So all looks OK to me.

I've set up 3 test purchases to test purchases from BC, other Canadian Provinces and the USA.

Here's what happens: (dashes put in by me for readability)

Test case 1 is a BC purchaser.(checkout_confirmation.php page)

It shows 17% instead of 12% below the Tax heading.

Products (Edit)------------ Tax --- Total

1 x Unreal Tournament 17.00% --- $22.32

The GST & HST portion of taxes are charged at the proper rate (5% and 7%) on both the product and shipping in the final totals

Sub-Total:------------------$22.32

Flat Rate (Best Way):--------$5.00

HST portion class tax rate:--$1.91

GST class tax rate BC:-------$1.37

Total:-----------------------$30.60

Test case 2 is a Alberta purchaser.(checkout_confirmation.php page)

It doesn't list the Tax and Total headings nor does it list the 5% tax that should have been charged.

Products (Edit)

1 x Unreal Tournament---------------------------------$22.32

This results in no tax at all whereas it should be charged the GST 5% tax

Sub-Total:------------------------------------------------------------------------------$22.32

Canada Post (1 box(es) to be shipped) (Expedited, 2011-02-22): $8.65

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------Total:--------$30.97

Test case 3 is a USA purchaser.(checkout_confirmation.php page) Basically it prints the same as test case 2 which is all right as no tax is to be charged.

Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong or what I have to do to correct it?

I don't really know php but i can alter the code as well as the next person.

Regards

Rick

Hi All

Just installed OSC 2.3.1 plus the Canada Post shipping and Canada tax modules and am trying to work things out. I am in BC and have to charge taxes. A few strange things are happening which I will list later on but first here are my settings:

Tax Zones

Tax Zones

British Columbia HST

Country-------- Zone

Canada ---------- British Columbia

Tax Zones

Canada GST

Country-------- Zone

Canada ---------- All Zones

Tax Classes

Tax Classes

Non Taxable Goods

Taxable Goods

Tax Rates

Priority ---- Tax Class---- Zone---- Tax Rate

2 --------- Taxable Goods ---- British Columbia HST---- 7.00%

2 --------- Taxable Goods ---- British Columbia HST ---- 5.00%

2 --------- Taxable Goods ---- Canada GST ------------- 5.00%

All my products are given a Taxable Goods except "gift certificates" which are Non Taxable Goods.

So all looks OK to me.

I've set up 3 test purchases to test purchases from BC, other Canadian Provinces and the USA.

Here's what happens: (dashes put in by me for readability)

Test case 1 is a BC purchaser.(checkout_confirmation.php page)

It shows 17% instead of 12% below the Tax heading.

Products (Edit)------------ Tax --- Total

1 x Unreal Tournament 17.00% --- $22.32

The GST & HST portion of taxes are charged at the proper rate (5% and 7%) on both the product and shipping in the final totals

Sub-Total:------------------$22.32

Flat Rate (Best Way):--------$5.00

HST portion class tax rate:--$1.91

GST class tax rate BC:-------$1.37

Total:-----------------------$30.60

Test case 2 is a Alberta purchaser.(checkout_confirmation.php page)

It doesn't list the Tax and Total headings nor does it list the 5% tax that should have been charged.

Products (Edit)

1 x Unreal Tournament---------------------------------$22.32

This results in no tax at all whereas it should be charged the GST 5% tax

Sub-Total:------------------------------------------------------------------------------$22.32

Canada Post (1 box(es) to be shipped) (Expedited, 2011-02-22): $8.65

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------Total:--------$30.97

Test case 3 is a USA purchaser.(checkout_confirmation.php page) Basically it prints the same as test case 2 which is all right as no tax is to be charged.

Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong or what I have to do to correct it?

I don't really know php but i can alter the code as well as the next person.

Regards

Rick

Rick in Test case 1 I'm wondering why you have BC in the GST zone? Shouldn't it just be straight HST at 12%? GST has also been replaced by HST in ON, NS, NL, and NB in addition to BC. You'll need a few more Zones...I would sort that out first.

Dan

Rick,

Did you set up a USA zone with all of the US states. If not, it will default to one of the existing tax classes.

Chris

Hey Cris, no I didn't as non Canadian purchases work fine as no HST or GST is charged for exports.

Rick

Rick in Test case 1 I'm wondering why you have BC in the GST zone? Shouldn't it just be straight HST at 12%? GST has also been replaced by HST in ON, NS, NL, and NB in addition to BC. You'll need a few more Zones...I would sort that out first.

Dan

Hi Dan

I was breaking the HST up into its two components with the thinking that some items ie are only charged GST. I guess that thinking may be flawed?

HST is somewhat confusing as its 12% in BC, 13% in Ont, NFL & MB and 15% in NS. I just spoke to Revenue Canada and they've told me that I have to charge the HST to all HST provinces at their rates and GST to non HST provinces (except of course HST or GST exempt items/organizations) So what I've now done is to have created

TAX ZONES

Canada GST

.......................SUB ZONE

.......................................... Manitoba

.......................................... Alberta

.......................................... NWT

.......................................... Nunavut

......................................... PEI

......................................... Quebec

......................................... Sask

......................................... Yukon

Canada HST

.......................SUB ZONE

..........................................Nova Scotia

..........................................Ontario

..........................................Newfoundland

..........................................New Brunswick

..........................................BC

TAX CLASSES

.........................................GST Class Taxable Goods ( GST only taxable items)

.........................................GST or HST Class Taxable Goods

.........................................Tax deferred class (for items like gift certificates)

.........................................Tax Exempt class (for any personal items I list and non-taxable items)

.........................................Taxable Goods (this one was just used for testing the site)

TAX RATES.....................................................ZONE.....................................................RATE.....................................................Priority

GST or HST Class Taxable Goods.........................Canada HST Goods.................................................12%.....................................................1

GST or HST Class Taxable Goods.........................Canada HST Goods.................................................13%.....................................................1

GST or HST Class Taxable Goods.........................Canada HST Goods.................................................15%.....................................................1

GST Class Taxable Goods......................................Canada GST Goods................................................. 5%.....................................................1

**** Unfortunately it doesn't allow me to choose Sub Zones and therefore doesn't work *****

For a BC purchaser the Product in the GST or HST Class taxable Goods category the checkout_confirmation page shows 27% Tax on the product line and the total info is:

Sub-Total: $22.32 Flat Rate (Best Way): $5.00 BC HST #897400933RT0001: $3.28 Nova Scotia HST #897400933RT0001: $4.10 Total: $34.70

I think I'm digging a deeper hole? Does anyone have a tax module that works? Which files do I look at to see whats happening?

Rick

Let me see if I can walk you though it....here is what I did:

TAX ZONES

Set up GST Zone for those Provinces where you'll just collect GST.

Set up HST-12 Zone for BC

Set Up HST-13 Zone for ON, NL and NB

Set Up HST-15 Zone for NS

Add each of the Provinces to the appropriate Zones. Each province will fit into one zone only. For example don't add BC to both GST and HST just HST.

TAX CLASSES

Set up your tax classes....I have one for Books, Shipping and Taxable Products. 3 in total.

TAX RATES.

Set up the appropriate TAX RATES for each TAX ZONE and TAX CLASS....here is an example of how I set mine up...

1...... Shipping....... Canada GST Zone........ 5%

1...... Books.......... HST-13................. 5%

1...... Books.......... HST-12................. 5%

1...... Taxable........ Canada GST Zone........ 5%

1...... Books.......... Canada GST Zone........ 5%

1...... Shipping....... HST-13................. 13%

1...... Taxable........ HST-13................. 13%

1...... Taxable........ HST-12................. 12%

Give that a try and let me know how you make out...dan

TAX ZONES

Add each of the Provinces to the appropriate Zones. Each province will fit into one zone only. For example don't add BC to both GST and HST just HST.

TAX CLASSES

Set up your tax classes....I have one for Books, Shipping and Taxable Products. 3 in total.

TAX RATES.

Set up the appropriate TAX RATES for each TAX ZONE and TAX CLASS....here is an example of how I set mine up...

Thanks for your input Dan. Prior to receiving your reply I managed to partially solve a few of my problems but am still working on a complete resolution. I expect I'll have to tweak some of the code to get all situations to work properly though .

I've managed to get the taxes working for any purchase (GST or HST Class Taxable Goods class) from any of the Canadian provinces/territories by creating a individual tax zone and tax rate for each and every Canadian provinces/territories. Also any purchase from the USA is not taxed at all. Here's how I set that up:

tax001.jpg

This will allow me to easily change tax rates when any province makes a change.

As I said it all works well for any products falling into the "GST or HST Class Taxable Goods" class but I will still have to work out my other classes of products.

tax_class0001.jpg

Please note the Canada PST only zone which I would like to marry to the "GST Class Taxable Goods " class for items like books or childrens clothes.

I'll add more later.

Rick

Thanks for your input Dan. Prior to receiving your reply I managed to partially solve a few of my problems but am still working on a complete resolution. I expect I'll have to tweak some of the code to get all situations to work properly though .

I've managed to get the taxes working for any purchase (GST or HST Class Taxable Goods class) from any of the Canadian provinces/territories by creating a individual tax zone and tax rate for each and every Canadian provinces/territories. Also any purchase from the USA is not taxed at all. Here's how I set that up:

tax001.jpg

This will allow me to easily change tax rates when any province makes a change.

As I said it all works well for any products falling into the "GST or HST Class Taxable Goods" class but I will still have to work out my other classes of products.

tax_class0001.jpg

Please note the Canada PST only zone which I would like to marry to the "GST Class Taxable Goods " class for items like books or childrens clothes.

I'll add more later.

Rick

Looks like you've got a good understanding of how it works now Rick and are well on your way...well done...dan

• 1 month later...

What am I doing wrong? When I set up my Canadian taxes like the above example this is what I get in the order confirmation.

Products (Edit) Tax Total

1 x Almond Chicken 0.0% $7.53

1 x Alpen 101.0% $4.99

Sub-Total: $12.52

Flat Rate (Best Way): $5.00

Manitoba GST 5% + Nunavut GST 5% + NWT GST 5% + P.E.I. GST 5% + Quebec GST 5% + SASK GST 5% + Yukon GST 5% + B.C. HST 12% + N.B. HST 13% + NFL HST 13% + Nova Scotia HST 15% + Ontario HST 13%: $5.04

Total: $22.5

So all the taxes are added up and come out to 101%

My address is in Ontario.

What am I doing wrong?

Dan why don't you post some screen prints of how you have the taxes configured (similar to what Rick did) and we'll see if we can help you out...dan

Actually I got it working. I had created all the tax zones but not opened the folders and configured them. They were all set to the default "All Countries", "All Zones".

Thanks for offering the help.

Actually I got it working. I had created all the tax zones but not opened the folders and configured them. They were all set to the default "All Countries", "All Zones".

Thanks for offering the help.

Great...I'm glad you got it working...it really is very easy, after you figure it out. :lol:

Dan

• 2 months later...

I'll add more later.

Rick

Hey Rick,

Incredible work! I've been struggling with this beast on and off for about a year now. How did you ultimately configure the Canada PST zone? I manage an e-store that sells books and DVDs.

I'd also be curious to know how you breakout taxes on shipping or if you simply calculate the HST on the total once everything is added up.

You (and Dan Cole) have given me hope!

Michael Ripley

Rick and Dan... or anyone,

What is your rule of practice for Quebec? If you don't register for QST is it okay to not charge it? If it isn't okay, shouldn't we be charging GST + QST for purchases made by Quebec residents?

Shouldn't there also be tax rates for the HST-15 zone? And separate shipping rates for HST-15 and HST-12? I'm having issues with a book store that now wants to sell some DVDs. Creating separate tax rates depending on where the purchaser lives is causing me serious headaches.

Michael Ripley

TAX ZONES

TAX CLASSES

TAX RATES.

Shouldn't there also be tax rates for the HST-15 zone? And separate shipping rates for HST-15 and HST-12? I'm having issues with a book store that now wants to sell some DVDs. Creating separate tax rates depending on where the purchaser lives is causing me serious headaches.

Michael Ripley

You are right Michael...it looks like I didn't paste in my Rates on page 2 which are as follows:

1.......Shipping.......HST-12.......12%

1.......Taxable........HST-15.......15%

1.......Shipping.......HST-15.......15%

1.......Books..........HST-15.......5%

Let me know if you're having any other problems...I'll watch this thread...dan

Edited by Dan Cole

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know how to setup OSC to calculate taxes properly for local deliveries within the province?

In Manitoba we only charge GST 5% on delivery, not GST 5% & PST 7%. I've managed to get taxes working based on the information in this thread, though for the life of me, cant get OSC to not add the combined 12% to the order. Ie, it should charge the full 12% on products, 5% on delivery, and then add the two together.

Thank you in advance for your help, ive been mulling over this for months.

Thank you,

Iain

• 3 months later...

Can anyone please post the link of "Canada Post shipping and Canada tax modules" ?

I searched AddOns, most of the results are for OSC2.2, and don't seem to be what people are talking about here.

Thanks a lot

Jason

Edited by dahulu

• 3 weeks later...

it seems to me as though the module is calculating BC as a GST/PST zone.

ie:

If I add BC as 12% (HST) it calculates at 17% (must be adding Federal 5% to the 12% I set it to)

If I add BC at 7% it calculates properly at 12%

If I add Alberta at 0% it calculates 5% (federal) but f I add Alberta at 5% it calculates at 10% (so the module knows Alberta is 5% fed only)

But if I add Ontario at 8% it calculates at 8% and doesnt add the 5% federal. Ontario is an HST (13% ) province, but if I add Ontario at 13% it calculates at 13% (so the module knows its HST province)

Understadable it would be off on BC as BC only recently adopted HST (which was later voted out in a referendum and is to be back to PST/GST by March 2013)

Still confusing, Ill have to make a test account for each province just to be sure its calculating properly.

Edited by Mrmike

Ok back to the drawing board, none of that makes sense as I tested Alberta again and now the module DOES want the 5% inputted, which doesnt explain the 10% it was putting in there earlier..

Now i check back 20 minutes later and Alberta is processing 10% again, even though ealrier I had it processing 5% as it should.. so its adding my 5 % with the modules 5 %

Im presuming.. what a pain in the *** lol

and now approx 20 min later Alberta starts processing at 0% again.. even though after I set it back to 0% it initially processed at 5% for the first 3-4 tests.. I leave it and come back, and its back to 0% .. :x

Ok so I see my problem was I created a seperate ZONE for EACH province, when I should have a seperate ZONE for each RATE, then add the provinces accordingly

ie:

BC in its own ZONE (set at 12% and is calculating as such properly now)

Ontario/NB/NFL in 13% ZONE

Nova Scotia in its own HST zone (15% .. those poor suckers :x )

AB/SK/MB/QB/NWT/YT/NVT/PEI all into their own 5% zone (since I wont be charging PST out of province)

USA into its own ZONE 0%

so far so good..

Edited by Mrmike