• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

3rd incarnation of my vinyl record site

ianric

Hi everyone

Done loads of work on the site over the past year or so. No template used, just old fashioned coding with hints, tips and contribs taken from the osc community. I've tried to keep it simple and I'm working on the front page to make the products static and likewise with the product info pages. Recently added an estimated shipping box in the right column when you add something to the cart. Planning to install a discount module and the "make an offer" contrib.

Is there anything else I can do or change to boost sales?? I'm getting loads of hits but no buyers.

My site is here

thanks

Ian

ianric,

I agree with bluetiger about the header in that it is not doing much for your site... Adding a funky/groovy header will certainly make an improvement to it and to be honest apart from the header not much needs changing. I do think it is easy on the eye and has lots of potential especially as your site is covering a very niche market... I like it and the idea behind, well done.

1) In my opinion you need to go a step further to maximise your sales potential by adding an MP3 player that actually loads on click instead of an MS pop-up option to download/open or using a PC based media player to play it or online on a different page using Quicktime. There is an oscommerce solution to this and it is a flash based player used in several sites. Here is the link:

osplayer

2) Also you need to fix your layout. Compare these pages:

Credits Page

Category Page

Product Info Page

Index/Home Page

Contact Page

You will note that product pages (index and product_info) are stretching the wage too wide whereas the rest of the pages are fine.

ianric, you are on to a winner with site... just a little work on banner advertising on good affiliate sites and the fine tuning mentioned above and I think the chances are you will be turning over a reasonable amount of revenue within 6-9 months.

If I could advise you on one final thing it would be to seriously consider allowing downloads of the tunes as well. Whatever the tracks, get them on to mp3 format in full and allow customers to decide if they vinyl (niche) and/or downloads too. As you may already know, oscommerce faciliates downloads too and you have the perfect site to do it.

You could use the Master/Slave contribution to have an album called: AL B Sure and have it for £3.67 but in it, each of the 5 tracks that make up the album could be available to download for say £0.99 each if you wanted and the customer can select just one track and leave the rest of the album if that is what they wanted to do.

Even after paying royalites it will help increase revenues. It will also help spread news of your website word-to-mouth so to speak.

Master Slave Contribution

Downloads Controller Contribution

Hope my feedback helps.

Wishing you all the best, hope your business is fruitful.

Chooch

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya

Back with ya now.

Thanks guys for the feedback. I too think the header needs work. I'm working on a flash banner so the "offers & promo" box in the top right will move into the header.

I've also found a flash player, today, as it happens. Been playing with it and it does what I want it to.

MP3s. That's a whole new ball game for me. I'll need to look into that.

Also noted are the other comments.

Looks like I'll be flashing for a few weeks

Cheers

Ian

Archived