• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

livechat from who's online

jpldisplays

Hi all,

I was wondering if any one knows of a contribution where you can initiate a live chat or send a question to a potential customer from the who's online screen?

Basically what I am looking for is from time to time when we check the who's online screen we can send a popup to the potential customer rather than them just having a browse and possibly going away

I have a bit of a look at contributions but can only seem to find live chat options where the customer kicks it off

Cheers!

Paul,

I don't believe there is currently a contribution to do this. However, there are some third party chat modules that work well within the oscommerce environment, Google for some.

Chris

I had a look at a few and none of them seem to intergrate with who's online but perhaps I am looking at these the wrong way, is there one that I can apply to certain products on our site?

I don't have enough staff to man live chats all day long and my opinion is that if you can not do them full time then customer are just going to see them offline and deter them but if I can give them option of live chat for certain products then that would be fine

Any idea's?

Cheers

Hi all,

I was wondering if any one knows of a contribution where you can initiate a live chat or send a question to a potential customer from the who's online screen?

Basically what I am looking for is from time to time when we check the who's online screen we can send a popup to the potential customer rather than them just having a browse and possibly going away

I have a bit of a look at contributions but can only seem to find live chat options where the customer kicks it off

Cheers!

Firstly I think customers would hate it, people don't like to feel "watched" when they shop.

Secondly the pop up would be javascript and javascript is client side. You cannot instigate a pop up in the clients browser from the admin panel.

Probably the only way to do this would be for there to be some javascript active on every page load that queries a PHP file via AJAX once every x seconds passing the users session id, the PHP file checks for a database setting where a popup request matches the customers session id and returns to the javascript some JSON to initiate the pop up.

Still don't like the idea though.

Edited by FWR Media

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I did this 2 years ago on my live store using a program by 'craftysyntax.com'. It integrated quite well into V2.21r and could be turned off and on by chat operator. It displays a "contact us" link when chat is turned off. I didn't install it when I upped to V2.3.1 since it was a potential threat after a major hack (3 to be exact), even though there was no evidence it was involved, in the paranoic atmosphere after/during a hack, I disabled everything I thought 'could' be a threat.

You can check it out at http://www.craftysyntax.com and you can e-mail me if you want some installation pointers. I still have all the V2.2.1 files and could re-employ in on my local machine WAMP server.

Don