• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

DownLoads Controller v5.3 Problem

ZacCoco

To Linda or anyone that come across this problem,

Managed to install the DownLoads Controller v5.3 with 2.2 Milestone 1 (02/17/2003) and everything works fine except the actual downloaded file. Whatever the file size or type, the final downloaded file size is always 2KB, which rendered it useless. The folder permission of Downloads is 755 currently. Any suggestion?

Thks & Regards,

Zaccoco

Are you using Download redirect?

Did you set /pub to 777?

Do your files have 1 or more than 1 periods in the name?

Do they have spaces?

Are you using the real path for your root or $DOCUMENT_ROOT in your configure.php files?

Thks Linda for responding.

Just tested with Download Redirect set to false and able to download jpg files but asf files (windows media audio) can't play directly on browser, can only play it by double clicking downloaded saved file. Browser would say connecting.... & would display Error# 800C0008 message in another pop-up IE browser window. According to Microsoft, this problem is related to HTTP 1.1 transfer-chunk encoding which requires disabling in IIS on Windows NT. Only one problem, this test site was run on Unix. Any suggestions?

/pub permission is set by hosting service, public_html is set to 755. Each download files strictly only have 1 period, no spaces and utilising real paths in configure.php.

Thks & Regards,

Zaccoco

There's no problem with image files with JPG extension now. The problem is with audio files with asf extension. The internet browser can't seem to 'connect ' and play the audio files through the download button.

Thks & Regards,

Zaccoco

I've just got a little question... What does the download controller add-on add to osCommerce that the built-in functionality doesn't include? It already has the ability to sell and control downloaded products.

Gary

"Verbogeny is one of the pleasurettes of a creatific thinkerizer." - Peter da Silva

Downloads Controller does several things. One, osCommerce will allow you to download the file without paying for it. DC stops this from happening. DC will also allow you to reset the number of downloads. If a customer uses up all his downloads but wasn't successful in downloading the file, you can set it back to 5 downloads without reentering the sale. You can also have free downloads. osCommerce makes you charge $0.00 for the download and takes you through the payment process. It also does a couple of other things that I don't use.

Let's say you sell downloads and allow Check/Money order.

By default, downloads are immediately available.

What Downloads Controller does is let you use the Payment modules orders_status to determin if the download is available immediately to the customer based on payment method or if you have to first validate the order by moving the order to say processing.

Downloads Controller is setup that the orders_status must be >= 2

You can set this value in the Admin to match your shop.

If the Payment module is set to orders_status of 1, example: Pending, then the download is not yet available until you have moved the orders_status to >=2, example: Processing or Complete

A new orders_status is defined in the Admin, Update ... which sets the orders_status to 4 this then changes the download_maxdays and download_count to your default setting and now a customer who may have used up their chances or the order is delayed because of a waiting Check so you do not have to edit the raw orders__products_download table manually via phpMyAdmin.

For ease of use, there is also a Download button on the individual download filename so the customer does not wonder what to click on. This makes it visually easier to see what they should click on.

But if you use online card processing, where the user doen't get to checkout_success.php unless the card clears, there is no way to get around paying, right?

"Verbogeny is one of the pleasurettes of a creatific thinkerizer." - Peter da Silva

Some people may not want to release the download immediately following the PayPal payment method, which also like all the payment modules hits checkout_success.

The Downloads Controller would let you configure Check/Money Order orders_status=1 (pending) PayPal orders_status=1 (pending) CC orders_status= 2 (processing)

Others may want PayPal to be orders_status=2

The Downloads Controller is designed to manage the downloads based on the orders_status as you define it in the individual Payment module.

How you utilize it is up to you.

Since you cannot base it on just weight, as a cart may have downloads and products in it, basing the download on orders_status works more efficiently.

There is also the Free Shipping and Free Payment modules for when you do have products with no wieght or no charge.

These allow the checkout process to complete.

You may have physical products with no weight as you are offering Free Shipping on those products.

Since a physical product requires a shipping method, UPS would not result in a Free Shipping for the product. But, the Downloads Controller looks at the weight of the cart and if 0, turns off the other shipping modules and only the Free Shipping Module shows.

Same with Free Payment ... somethings in life are still Free ... :D

If both the cart $total and weight=0, then the Free Payment module hides the other modules and only it shows.

The Free Shipping and Free Payment modules do not show when the other modules are showing.

And for orders paid by Check/Money Order that contain downloads, do you just let the customer take the download and run? :shock:

Or do you think you should perhaps verify you have the check before they are allowed to get the download?

Or, do you only allow online card processing and lose some of those customers who just hate to put that info on the web?

And, when the customer messes up and does not get their download in the right amount of time or uses up their downloads count due to browser issues ... are you manually trying to fix the database?

That is what the Update (or you could call this anything you want) orders_status setting is for to reset that order.

The only payment method I accept is credit cards through worldpay.... We don't take cheques.

If I need to reset a customer's download I just run an update query on the database. I use MySQL-Front, so it's just like using Excel.

The only payment method I accept is credit cards through worldpay.... We don't take cheques.

That would work well ...

If I need to reset a customer's download I just run an update query on the database. I use MySQL-Front, so it's just like using Excel.

Some humans would not have a clue what you just said ... let alone know how to do it.

Click on the Dropdown in the order is way easier for them and their data entry folks ... :D

It's all in what you need.

Downloads Controller is just to take the extra work out and manage payment methods, allow free products or free shipping on real products, etc.

Some need it and some don't.

I can't live without it ... but then that was one reason I wrote it.

Many others need this, which is the other reason I wrote it with so much flexibility to it. It had to cover all the little peices and parts for those who needed one peice or another or all of the features.

But my intent was not to sell you on using it, just to explain the options, features and practical applications of its uses. :D

Thanks for the explanation. :)

Currently, I'm only planning on using PayPal (IPN), and possibly 2Checkout, so that problem shouldn't occur. Mu understanding is that the purchaser has to complete the stuff on the PayPal/2Checkout side, and then click the link to return to the osCommerce script before the order is complete, at which time the download link becomes available.

But the Downloads Controller addon sounds useful for other reasons. :)