• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Best seo addons?

xciso

Hello

I installed last summer, "Ultimate SEO URLs" (Ultimate SEO 2-2.2d-8)

Is this the best url seo tool? Are there others who are better so it's worth installing another?

Then I will also install one of the "Header Tags"

What is the best there today?

Are there any more i need to have full SEO support?

Please write the addons you have for best SEO. Thanks in advance!

My shop is in 2.2RC2a with STS

Many thanks in advance!

If it was me, i would personally keep with ultimate urls but use the latest version created by jack_mcs. I would then also add header_tags seo, sitemap seo all products seo, all categories seo and google sitemaps. All these contributions are made and supported by the same person, so all work well together.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Hello

I installed last summer, "Ultimate SEO URLs" (Ultimate SEO 2-2.2d-8)

Is this the best url seo tool? Are there others who are better so it's worth installing another?

Then I will also install one of the "Header Tags"

What is the best there today?

Are there any more i need to have full SEO support?

Please write the addons you have for best SEO. Thanks in advance!

My shop is in 2.2RC2a with STS

Many thanks in advance!

Up to you what you use but the original Ultimate Seo Urls is a dinosaur from 2005 which has been ( added to ) it is not maintained by the original author.

Ultimate seo Urls 5 PRO is massively more powerful and efficient and is built using 2011 code as well as offering an osCommerce website for the first time the ability to be indexed seperately for all of it's languages.

USU5 will work with anything that is written correctly as all it does is create urls using the osCommerce tep_db_link() function.

USU5 PRO also includes XML sitemaps.

Re: meta tags it depends what you want.

KissMT is again modern code it dynamically creates all meta tags and also canonical elements for your site and it does it fully dynamically requiring no effort from you and installs in seconds. If you need to manually create your page titles etc however then this is not for you. ( although the functionality will be added ). One of the alternatives is header tags which again is not maintained by the original author.

See my sig if interested in those contributions.

Edited by FWR Media

KissMT is again modern code it dynamically creates all meta tags and also canonical elements for your site and it does it fully dynamically requiring no effort from you and installs in seconds. If you need to manually create your page titles etc however then this is not for you. ( although the functionality will be added ).

See my sig if interested in those contributions.

Although, they can be edited in /public_html/includes/languages/english/kissmt.php

This is the method that I use at present until.....

Why are you people building 2 of everything?

Is this like Porsche VS Ferrari?

Some guys say: Use the addons from jack_mcs

Some guys say: Use the addons from FWR Media

Its not easy to choose.

Why are jack_mcs best?

Why are FWR Media best?

Thanks.

Why are you people building 2 of everything?

Is this like Porsche VS Ferrari?

Some guys say: Use the addons from jack_mcs

Some guys say: Use the addons from FWR Media

Its not easy to choose.

Why are jack_mcs best?

Why are FWR Media best?

Thanks.

Ultimate Seo Urls series two is an old contribution from 2005 written by Bobby Easland ( Chemo ).

It was tidied up and the bugs removed by me in version 2.1d ORIGINAL updated ( November 2008 ). Since then Jack_mcs has taken my version as the base then has added a few bits e.g. code that uses header tags seo, other than that it is the same old code over 3000 lines long. the code is old and dated and I got fed up with supporting it so I wrote a totally new version from the ground up using modern modular PHP 5 code, there is now a PRO version which is totally new.

For comparison read the support thread of Ultimate Seo Urls 5 or you can see the following ..

http://www.fwrmedia....pro_comparison/

Edited by FWR Media

Is your new mod compatible with header tags seo and all products seo?

USU5 is compatible with anything and everything just so long as it is correctly written.

Header tags breaks when ANY path based uri is used .. it is buggy! Having said that, this bug in header tags can be avoided by choosing the rewrite method of USU5 which emulates chemos old seo urls.

All products seo breaks because it uses file names with hyphen instead of underscore, if Jack_mcs read the osCommerce coding standards then he might write his contributions correctly. USU5 purposefully will not process this file as it is invalid input.

This is simple to fix just correct the filename to what it should have been, all_products.php and not all-products.php ( if I'm remembering the correct file ).

USU5 is compatible with anything and everything just so long as it is correctly written.

Header tags breaks when ANY path based uri is used .. it is buggy! Having said that, this bug in header tags can be avoided by choosing the rewrite method of USU5 which emulates chemos old seo urls.

All products seo breaks because it uses file names with hyphen instead of underscore, if Jack_mcs read the osCommerce coding standards then he might write his contributions correctly. USU5 purposefully will not process this file as it is invalid input.

This is simple to fix just correct the filename to what it should have been, all_products.php and not all-products.php ( if I'm remembering the correct file ).

ALSO correct the filename catalog/includes/languages/all_products.php and not catalog/includes/languages/all-products.php

ALSO correct the filename catalog/includes/languages/all_products.php and not catalog/includes/languages/all-products.php

Doing that is not a correction. It would be lowering the SEO effect and is not recommended. Changing the code so it works with some other contribution is nonsense.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

My reply (below) was to the above post

Doing that is not a correction. It would be lowering the SEO effect and is not recommended. Changing the code so it works with some other contribution is nonsense.

There will always be conflicting opinions. My opinion, you are both CORRECT.

LOL you and your supposed SEO knowledge, it does make me laugh.

"all-products.php" a hyphen in a filename has an seo effect does it Jack :rolleyes:

Just enough knowledge to be dangerous .. scarey.

• 2 weeks later...

I find this battle between coders (FWR Media and Jack) over who writes the best contributions a little useless to the rest of us.

Like many here, I am not a coder, just an oscommerce user trying to figure out what contributions are best for my shop. I have used the 2.2ms2 milestone version since 2006 with several of Jack's SEO contributions and never had a problem. Now however I am rebuilding my shop on the 2.3.1 version and am given several errors when trying to install Jack's SEO contributions (but perhaps it's just me making mistakes), hence my searching for threads relating to SEO addons, and I often run into conflicting information where some people swear by one coder's addons whilst others knock them down and vice versa. To the profane it doesn't help much to know the difference between the use of an underscore or a hyphen or that something breaks when a path based uri is used.

I am not attacking anyone, I think all you guys here coding for free for an open source project make wonderful work and we would be lost without you.

Like someone pointed out earlier on, I guess it really is down to decide if you prefer Porsche or Ferrari, but personally I prefer Lamborghini...what do I do now? back to square one I guess. ;)

~ Don't mistake my kindness for weakness ~

I find this battle between coders (FWR Media and Jack) over who writes the best contributions a little useless to the rest of us.

There is no battle between me and Jack over who writes the best contributions.

Jack sometimes makes statements like: -

It would be lowering the SEO effect and is not recommended

Related to a hyphen in a file name which is clearly rubbish.

His minor adaptation of Chemos Ultimate Seo Urls is the ONLY url rewriter which is 100% compatible with other contributions.

This is also rubbish and when you have spent many hours writing for the community a completely new an more modern version it is somewhat offensive.

I tend to react when he does this as I see it as misleading users, I do not however view him as a competitor in any way shape or form.

Jack puts in a ton of effort adapting old contributions which are no longer supported for which he should be applauded, we just have our occasional "run ins".

Now however I am rebuilding my shop on the 2.3.1 version and am given several errors when trying to install Jack's SEO contributions (but perhaps it's just me making mistakes), hence my searching for threads relating to SEO addons, and I often run into conflicting information where some people swear by one coder's addons whilst others knock them down and vice versa. To the profane it doesn't help much to know the difference between the use of an underscore or a hyphen or that something breaks when a path based uri is used.

I am not attacking anyone, I think all you guys here coding for free for an open source project make wonderful work and we would be lost without you.

Like someone pointed out earlier on, I guess it really is down to decide if you prefer Porsche or Ferrari, but personally I prefer Lamborghini...what do I do now? back to square one I guess. ;)

If you are having problems with one of my contributions, or anyone's for that matter, you should ask about it in its support thread. Of all of my SEO-type contributions, only Header Tags SEO, Ultimate SEO V2.2d and Google XML Sitemap SEO will work with 2.3, at the moment, but no one has mentioned any problems with them working in a 2.3 shop. And I have installed them myself into such shops without any problems. So if you are having problems with one of those, it is either some mistake you are making or some problem I am not aware of.

If you are looking for someone to tell you which contributions to use, there's no one that can do that. Even if I supplied you with a list of many sites that are successful after installing my contributions, I'm sure others can do the same with other contrbutions. That's because SEO contributions are just a way to begin SEO'ing a site. They do not, and cannot, do the whole job and the result they provide will vary with the site. I think, like with any contribution, you need to decide whether to use it based on if you need the options it offers and whether the programer writes solid code. Header Tags SEO and Ultimate SEO V2.2d offer options not available in any other contribution. If you want/need those options, then there's no choice as to which to choose. If you don't, then decide on which you think is best based on the opinions of others. There's really no other way to choose, that I can think of.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks Robert and Jack for replying.

Jack, it's probably me making errors and yes I should post in the contribution thread, but a lot of confusion arises due to the fact that instructions are based on older versions whilst now on 2.3.1 the code differs, so it's confusing to understand how to proceed, at least it is for me, but with that I'm not criticising your work which is outstanding, like Robert's.

~ Don't mistake my kindness for weakness ~

Thanks Robert and Jack for replying.

Jack, it's probably me making errors and yes I should post in the contribution thread, but a lot of confusion arises due to the fact that instructions are based on older versions whilst now on 2.3.1 the code differs, so it's confusing to understand how to proceed, at least it is for me, but with that I'm not criticising your work which is outstanding, like Robert's.

I include separate install instructions for 2.3, where applicable, so you must be looking in the wrong directory of the contribution. Or, of course, I may have made a mistake but without someone reporting it, I will never know.

No need to apologize for being critical (not that you were). Many others have criticized my contribution and many others probably will again. I'm not so thin-skinned to take offense at statements made by others here. To me, it's laughable when someone does.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

IMO Isabella, I much rather prefer to use Robert's USU5 Pro. I have tested it with over 75k products and it works flawlessly. Making modifications is a piece of cake. And it is very very stable. I haven't come across any other contribution which has interfered with USU5 Pro.