• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

2.2 vs 2.3 vs 3.0

BBandC

Hi all,

New to the E-Commerce side of the world and looking for some help to try and determine which is the better way to go with using OSCommerce.

I notice there are 3 different version out and it seems that the 2.2 version has the most contributions (which I found tons to use) but then there is 2.3 and 3 that are still being worked on as far as the core files and contributions. So my question is should I start with 2.2 and upgrade to 2.3 or 3 when those contributions are able to run on such versions? I would hate to start on one version and completely wipe it out later down the road to use another version that has the same or equivelant contributions available.

Thank you for your time and help, it is greatly appreciated.

BBandC

Ron,

If you need a modified cart quickly, then RC2a is the way to go. You will need to make code changes and add contributions to help secure this version. If you choose this route and want to be move to the latest release, you will need to update in the next year or so.

2.3.1 has a stronger and more secure code structure, but has fewer contributions available for it. However, if you can live without a lot of mods, this is the better choice.

v3.0 is NOT stable, and is not ready for use and there is no word on if/when it will be released.

Chris

Hi DunWeb.

Thanks for the information. Very much appreciated and your information was well taken. Looking for the RC2a now and give it a go and see what all is included as far as modifications and will go from there.

Again thank you for your help and time, very much appreciated.

v3.0 is NOT stable, and is not ready for use and there is no word on if/when it will be released.

There is no IF it will be released its a case of WHEN it will be released. As soon as a realistic date is know it will be shared with everyone

Mark Evans

osCommerce Monkey & Lead Guitarist for "Sparky + the Monkeys" (Album on sale in all good record shops)

---------------------------------------

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free. (Linus Torvalds)

There is no IF it will be released its a case of WHEN it will be released. As soon as a realistic date is know it will be shared with everyone

Mark,

I am sure v3.x will be released at some point, the question is when. With the recent release of 2.3.1 and the changes found within it, I am sure the v3.x development team is again making some major changes to the structure of v3.x to follow in line with the changes made in 2.3.1.

I guess I should have put more emphasis on WHEN rather than IF.

Chris

Archived