• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Easy Populate what a mess

cardcraft

Hi can anyone help

I backed up my database but didn't download a full stock inventry before proceeding. I have used Easy Populate for some time but only for downloading data to work with not uploading it back again. I trusted the program as the downloads always worked well.

With stock appraoching 5000 items and workig in the admin area slowig down the main website I decided to do alterations in categories... it made sense to do so.

I downloaded a small category first and saved the file as a csv file. Being by first time I decided to alter just the stock quantities and nothing else. I did this and uploaded the EP file using Firefox, I checked the location o9f the file and it seemed ok. So I did another slightly bigger catagory and followed the same procedure. All should be well or so I thought.

I than found items previously deleted that were not in the uploaded file had come back, I started to work through these and delete them then if got worse!!! So I downloaded a full file to view it as a csv file. Over 2000 of the 5000 items had moved from 'Taxable Goods' to '--none--'

I was now concerned with the original uploads 200 extra items had shown up. What shall I do, I then considered, shall I download the full EP file, change the '--none--' to 'Taxable Goods' and re-upload it? This is the reason I write to ask for help if the first upload added 200 items would a full upload turn 5000 into 10000

Help please anyone

I also appear to have a second issue here. I have saved the database regularly but, when I came to restore it it was to big to restore. Any help is gratefully received.

Thank you

Paul

Hello

Thank you for your comment

I downloaded a category from the menu which included 62 products, I changed only the product quantities and then saved the csv file and uploaded it again.

The 62 products in the file should have over written the original 62 but the list increased by around 200, items previously deleted? If also changed the Tax column from 'Taxable Goods' to '--none--' for over 2200 entries. I am at the moment altering these manually but it is taking a long time to do.

I need to change the Vat rate for all products listed 5000+ but need to know two things

1 - can I download and alter all 5000 items and upload them with out problems or without stock increasing

2 - how do I restore a large file if I experience problems

Paul

I use EP and depending on the server split my files into files of 3,000 or 10,000. I just found the limit by trial and error.

The 62 products in the file should have over written the original 62 but the list increased by around 200, items previously deleted?

I can't see how this happened. Have you editd EP in anyway?

To change your VAT, just change the tax % in the shop admin on the day you want it to change.

EP works fine for me, so my answer for question 1 is YES.

Without knowing the error you get

when I came to restore it it was to big to restore.

it is a bit difficult to say, but no doubt the back up file can be split and imported using phpmyadmin.

HTH

G

PS Are you Sandra working under a pseudonym or have you hijacked her account :-)

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

I use EP and depending on the server split my files into files of 3,000 or 10,000. I just found the limit by trial and error.

The 62 products in the file should have over written the original 62 but the list increased by around 200, items previously deleted?

To change your VAT, just change the tax % in the shop admin on the day you want it to change.

it is a bit difficult to say, but no doubt the back up file can be split and imported using phpmyadmin.

HTH

G

PS Are you Sandra working under a pseudonym or have you hijacked her account :-)

HTH

G

Hello Geoffrey

Thank you for your reply

1 - I can't see how this happened. Have you editd EP in anyway?

Reply: No I have changed nothing it is as the guy installed it for me (a person off this forum)

EP vers: 2.76g-MS2

osCommerce 2.2-MS2

OS: Linux 2.6.28.8-20100125a-iscsi-ntacker-fasync-mremap-grsec

HTTP: Apache/1.3.41 Ben-SSL/1.59

DB: MySQL 4.0.27-standard

PHP: 4.4.9 (Zend: 1.3.0)

Temp Directory:

/kunden/homepages/0/d153229494/htdocs/cardcraftuk/temp/

Temp Dir is Writable

Magic Quotes is: off

register_globals is: on

Split files on: 300 records

Model Num Size: 12

Price with tax: false

Calc Precision: 2

Replace quotes: false

Field seperator: comma

Excel safe output: true

Preserve tab/cr/lf: false

Category depth: 7

Enable attributes: true

SEF Froogle URLS: false

More Pics: false

Unknown Pics: false

HTC: false

SPPC: false

Extra Fields: false

<b>2 - To change your VAT, just change the tax % in the shop admin on the day you want it to change</b>

Troule is his alers everything from the net value upwards and all prices need changing

e.g £8.47 net now = £9.95 including Vat at 17.5% when raised to 20% will be £10.16!!!

<b>3 - BACKUP and RESTORE it is a bit difficult to say, but no doubt the back up file can be split and imported using phpmyadmin.</b>

At present the backup is 120,737,284 bytes

I have never done this so am unsure how to accress or use phpmyadmin to restore a file or part files

Thank you

Paul

There are contributions to change every price by a % or there are posts with the sql.

EP should change data correctly, personally I use EP vers: 2.76i-MS2.

There are also contributions that allow you to selectively restore specific table long time since I last installed that though.

HTH

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

• 2 weeks later...

HTH

G

Hi

I am Paul, Sandra is my wife, I am trying to help her but my knowledge is limited. Sorry for the delay in repling we have been away for Christmas to one of our daughters and granchildren 300 mles away in Poole

I have downloaded all the products in one file using Firefox, the file has 6789 rows

I have tried to load this in easy populate by browsing for the file than clicking Split

It saved 3 files of 300 rows and 1 file of approx 200 then cut out saying connection broken. The same happens with OX7 and Firefox?

Can I take the downloaded files and create subsequent files next number on with each and each having 300 files (plus header)?

|does the program upload one and automatically look for the next or do I upload each file of 300 products one by one

Thank you for your help

Paul

You could manually create 1 file with 1000 records inc header and try uploading it.

If it times out cut it to 500 then if it works try it with 750.

Then once you have ascertained the limit cut your big file into chunks that size and then you can import them one by one after you have updated them as required.

Until you have worked out why EP is creating records you are a bit stuck and I wouldn't do the above.

There are contributions to change prices en masse and you can aleter all setting to say Taxable in one go using phpmy admin

Cheers

G

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

Two suggestions:

- Be sure all of the products have unique model numbers. Easy Populate requires a model number and using it on a product without one can corrupt your database.

- If you paid someone to install this for you, that person should fix it or show that it is a problem in your shop, as opposed to the contribution or his installation. So I would go back to that person and have him look at it.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

You could manually create 1 file with 1000 records inc header and try uploading it.

If it times out cut it to 500 then if it works try it with 750.

Then once you have ascertained the limit cut your big file into chunks that size and then you can import them one by one after you have updated them as required.

Until you have worked out why EP is creating records you are a bit stuck and I wouldn't do the above.

There are contributions to change prices en masse and you can aleter all setting to say Taxable in one go using phpmy admin

Cheers

G

Hello Greffrey

Thank you for your advise

Instead of downloading EP files direct and editing them I have downloaded into the temporary folder, I will alter them here and upload them back to the temporary folder before re-importing them into EP.

The later option is my safety net so if Vat moves to none I can go to MySql Admin although at this stage I am not sure how to do it I am encouraged by your suggestion

My only other concern is not the product list but the main backup which is currently 121,597,653 bytes and cannot be restored if I have a problem?

I understand there are ways to do it through MySql Admin but again at this stage I don't know how.

Thank you

Paul

Two suggestions:

- Be sure all of the products have unique model numbers. Easy Populate requires a model number and using it on a product without one can corrupt your database.

- If you paid someone to install this for you, that person should fix it or show that it is a problem in your shop, as opposed to the contribution or his installation. So I would go back to that person and have him look at it.

Hello Jack_mcs

Thank you for your comments also, I am so grateful

Be sure all of the products have unique model numbers. Easy Populate requires a model number and using it on a product without one can corrupt your database.

All products have a model number/code, no cells are missing

But there are many duplicate items as my wifes shop has categories for 'New Products', categories for 'As Seen On TV' and the main menu categories. Some items are duplicated in the main categories and in New Products, some are in the main categoty and in As seen on TV. All duplicates, linked items, have the same code.

If you paid someone to install this for you, that person should fix it or show that it is a problem in your shop, as opposed to the contribution or his installation. So I would go back to that person and have him look at it.

Someone of this forum did install the EP (and many other contributions) Many of the items are incomplete, I have for three months chased getting the jobs done and each time received promises but no work. The last promise was all outstanding work would be done over Christmas but, still has npt been completed. It is very frustrating. Prior to the last 3 months this person installed contributions and was paid the agred amount immediately.

Thank you again for your comments

Paul

Hello Jack_mcs

A good lesson learnt

Be sure all of the products have unique model numbers. Easy Populate requires a model number and using it on a product without one can corrupt your database.

In the 6898 rows of content in the products list, by sorting them I found 5 entries with no product code, thank you

I am currently altering prices for the new Vat rate of 20% from midnight on 3 January. I will split the large file as Geffrey suggested and upload it. Customers will get an extra couple of pence between now and midnight on 3rd but once Vat is raised to 20% all the figures should be tidy.

I am doing it now so that if something goes wrong I have time to consider the options. My only concern id the main database that won't restore due to it's size. Suggestions welcome

Thank you again for yoour help

Paul

I am doing it now so that if something goes wrong I have time to consider the options. My only concern id the main database that won't restore due to it's size. Suggestions welcome

For any contribution, it is always best to ask for support in its support thread since that is usually where the author of the contribution and the people that regularly use it will see the question. I very rarely respond to questions about my contributions that are not posted in the correct thread since it just makes more work for me in the long-run. So, in general, you really should post in the appropriate place if you want to get the best response.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

For any contribution, it is always best to ask for support in its support thread since that is usually where the author of the contribution and the people that regularly use it will see the question. I very rarely respond to questions about my contributions that are not posted in the correct thread since it just makes more work for me in the long-run. So, in general, you really should post in the appropriate place if you want to get the best response.

Hello Jack

Thank you for your guidance, it all amkes sense to keep items related to their subject. I will place a question in the eara relating to backups

Happy New Year

Paul (for Sandra)

Down load the main sql backup file and split it into several approximately equal sized blocks.

Make sure the first line of each file starts with a line that starts something like

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS address_book;

Then you can import it in stages.

HTH

G

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

Down load the main sql backup file and split it into several approximately equal sized blocks.

Make sure the first line of each file starts with a line that starts something like

HTH

G

Woah... NO surely not - if you add DROP TABLE on each upload it will do just that: drop the table and everything in it including what was put in on the last file

When installing data in sections they begin:

INSERT INTO

and each line must end with );

However you will have to TRUNCATE the table before you upload the first file or use UPDATE xxxxx WHERE instead of INSERT INTO

My store is currently running Phoenix 1.0.3.0

I'm currently working on 1.0.7.2 and hope to get it live before 1.0.8.0 arrives (maybe 🙄 )

I used to have a list of add-ons here but I've found that with the ones that supporters of Phoenix get any other add-ons are not really neccessary

I think you might have had a panic attack that is not necessary.

No-one is adding a drop table, it is already in the sql generated by the backup.

The drop table is immediately followed by the command that recreates the table.

And then following that is are the commands that add the data to new empty table.

Then following that is the sql to drop the next table, recreate it and repopulate it and so on.

Panic over?

G

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

I think you might have had a panic attack that is not necessary.

No-one is adding a drop table, it is already in the sql generated by the backup.

The drop table is immediately followed by the command that recreates the table.

And then following that is are the commands that add the data to new empty table.

Then following that is the sql to drop the next table, recreate it and repopulate it and so on.

Panic over?

G

Yes for putting up one file of data or the first of a series of files but NOT at the top of EVERY file that you are uploading for the SAME table after you have split it, otherwise you will drop the table and contents that you have uploaded in the previous file

My store is currently running Phoenix 1.0.3.0

I'm currently working on 1.0.7.2 and hope to get it live before 1.0.8.0 arrives (maybe 🙄 )

I used to have a list of add-ons here but I've found that with the ones that supporters of Phoenix get any other add-ons are not really neccessary

Hello team

I have some good news but also have questions I am still confused about

Firstly the good news...

I downloaded all the product data into the temp folder, loaded it into Excel and split it into 500 products (with titles) per page. I uploaded all of the 14 files they went in a treat.

Thank you to both of you who kindly gave your suggestions.

Now the area I am confused with

1 - Easy Populate includes the Products listings

2 - Admin includes a Backup (I presume of MySql settings)

When a contribution is to be installed and it says 'BACK UP - BACKUP - BACK UP' which is it referring to.

The first item, the second items, a full download of the website or all 3

HTH

G

Also which is the above referring to as the large file downloaded is just one back up file?

Thank you

Paul