• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SSL

snowrabbit

It may a dummy question for you guys: if my oscommerce website only accept Paypal payment,(paypal is secure) do I need SSL?

How can I have SSL and how to put it in my site?

Sorry I am not a IT person and have a little knowledge of SSL, the question may very basic. Thank you in advance for replying.

Hello,

Yes, you do need SSL, or rather your CUSTOMERS need SSL.

I would never purchase anything online that required my name, address or phone number without an SSL encrypting my data as I sent it to the website. Identify theft and spammers and marketing companies are just some of the threats when insecure data is intercepted coming from or going to a website.

It is also necessary for you, the store owner when entering your admin area so that your passwords, order information and paypal information is not 'sniffed' as you enter/view or edit it.

Chris

No, you don't NEED it. SSL is always good to have. The above response is somewhat over protective IMO. The only type of info a real thief wants he can't get from your store. He just wants those CC digits from Paypal and he can't have them. You are not holding any sensitive data so the decision is yours.

RC2.2a

BC,

Thanks for your opinion, I must be wrong. 10 years of online sales, website development and design is all wasted because truly your opinion must be correct ! >_<

Chris

Chris you are right and so is BC...

SSL is not needed to use PayPal, many people will quite happily use a site that takes your personal details without checking to see if it is secure.

However there are people that would not use a site, especially an ecommerce site, that does not have SSL and will look every time.

The choice is in the hands of the store owner (it would be a good idea to see if your competitors have SSL though ;) )

My store is currently running Phoenix 1.0.3.0

I'm currently working on 1.0.7.2 and hope to get it live before 1.0.8.0 arrives (maybe 🙄 )

I used to have a list of add-ons here but I've found that with the ones that supporters of Phoenix get any other add-ons are not really neccessary

Thank you so much guys.

How do you know if the website has SSL? I know the website has "https", but is that the only way to know?

Also, how do I add on SSL to my website? Please provide little detailed steps since I am very new to this.

Apart from the https depending on the browser being used there will be a blue or green bar at the beginning of the Navagation box with the certificate holder's name in it and there will be a 'locked' padlock or a key showing somewhere on the browser window.

How to get SSL:

First you need a certificate

Then you need a dedicated IP address

The best way I found of doing this was to find a host (the host I was/am with did a very good deal) that will do it as a package as it obviously works out cheaper that way - it took them about 2 or 3 minutes to change my site to a dedicated IP address and add the certificate, about 24-48 hours for the domain name to propagate on the new IP address and that was it.

It is possible to have a shared certificate for which you don't need the dedicated IP address which is a bit cheaper.

My store is currently running Phoenix 1.0.3.0

I'm currently working on 1.0.7.2 and hope to get it live before 1.0.8.0 arrives (maybe 🙄 )

I used to have a list of add-ons here but I've found that with the ones that supporters of Phoenix get any other add-ons are not really neccessary

Thank you.

That means I contact my host, they will add it to my site?

I have a very basic oscommerce website right now accept paypal only without SSL, do I need to do anything myself such as install SSL?

If so, could you please provide me the detail steps? Thank you very much.

BC,

Thanks for your opinion, I must be wrong. 10 years of online sales, website development and design is all wasted because truly your opinion must be correct ! >_<

Chris

No you just need to accept other opinions without being so standoffish and hard headed. You did not write the book, so quit acting like every word you say is bond. You're helpful around here and give good advice, but don't let your head get so big you think your opinion is the only one.

RC2.2a

Thank you.

That means I contact my host, they will add it to my site?

I have a very basic oscommerce website right now accept paypal only without SSL, do I need to do anything myself such as install SSL?

If so, could you please provide me the detail steps? Thank you very much.

Your files will change if you go to an SSL site. So much so it is generally easiest and best to start from the beginning and check the "ssl site" box when setting it up from Cpanel. Since you are starting out, buy the SSL cert and set it all up at once as ann SSL site from the beginning. It will save you many headaches.

RC2.2a

Thanks for all your responses.

My only knowledge about SSL is for security purpose. I thought my site only accepts Paypal payment (I do not directly take customers' CC), that would be ok if I do not have SSL. But now I find almost every ecommerce webstores have SSL, that is why I have question on it.

If I want to have SSL in the future, in my case how do I make changes in my oscommerce website? Is there any step by step reference you could provide to me?

Or I just contact my host to pay for SSL, they will do eveything for me?

Thank you.

No you just need to accept other opinions without being so standoffish and hard headed. You did not write the book, so quit acting like every word you say is bond. You're helpful around here and give good advice, but don't let your head get so big you think your opinion is the only one.

Actually, your inexperience is apparent, so I will just dismiss it as such.

Chris

Archived