• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Sign in to follow this  
rasha2020

Template and Admin

Hello,

I apologize if this question has been asked before. I've installed OsCommerce and then uploaded a template to change the theme. The issue I'm facing is that the front end, doesn't link to the back end. When I look at the back end I've still got the default categories of the basic install. I am very new to this, and doing this site for my god daughter who's trying to get her business going. My field is more in Infrastructure and security, not development or this stuff. I'd really appreciate some help.

Hello,

I apologize if this question has been asked before. I've installed OsCommerce and then uploaded a template to change the theme. The issue I'm facing is that the front end, doesn't link to the back end. When I look at the back end I've still got the default categories of the basic install. I am very new to this, and doing this site for my god daughter who's trying to get her business going. My field is more in Infrastructure and security, not development or this stuff. I'd really appreciate some help.

The template will only change the visual appearance of the site, not the functionality or products.

Ramy,

As you have noticed, templates applied to the catalog do not inherently cover the admin area. There are ADMIN templates available in the contribution area such as these:

MindSparx Admin

Admin Template

Chris

One last question, if I wanted to modify the categories on the left manually, what files should I be looking for? The site is below and the categories listed below to be changed.

http://hebbracelets.com/store/

Rings & Bands

Anniversary Rings

Diamond Rings

Engagement Rings

Engagement Settings

Earrings & Necklaces

Diamond Earrings

Diamond Necklaces

Gemstone Earrings

Gold Earrings

Bracelets & Bangles

Charm Bracelets

Diamond Bracelets

Gold Bracelets

Tennis Bracelets

Ramy,

The categories are created and listed when you add/delete/edit them from the Admin area under Catalog. If you are referring to the way they are displayed, you can edit the includes/boxes/categories.php file and possibly the stylesheet.css for some layouts.

Chris

Ramy,

STOP !!! Don't waste your time trying to create a store using osCommerce MS2.2. It is far too outdated and insecure. (I am logged into your admin area right now)

You should download and use v2.2 RC2a or V2.3.1.

Your site is a hackers dream. As Germ always says, "it's not a matter of if you might get hacked, it's a matter of when !"

Chris

Hey Chris,

Yea that's the challenge. The categories in the Admin section don't match those on the main page. I'm concerned if I start playing with the categories there then it'll mess up the front end?

Yeah I'm aware, this is a basic install, trying to make it look right first before I lock it down. Thing is, it's on a webhosting company and that's the only version they provide.