• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

what editor do you use

andy_1984

i started off many years ago with notepad then found dreamweaver to help navigate the code easier with color formating of the code i never liked its many features and found it was a lot of features to it that i never used all i wanted was color coded code :)

then notepad++ came out and was excellent for a while but my projects got bigger and bigger and keeping a work flow going with so many notepad++ windows opened wa more trouble than its worth, dual monitors helped a little.

i just found this editor a few days ago: http://netbeans.org/

this has increased my productivity probably 30%

i only downloaded the php version but other versions are available. project management is great i can access files really quickly and it formats code better. the best bit was that it checks over your php as your creating it looking for errors and reports back correctly almost instantly.

another nice little feature was "upload on save" and if you have set this up correctly and your project folder is same file structure on your server all you do is Ctrl+S (save) and away it goes. i used to take a while to navigate around using leapftp then dragging a file from desktop to that folder.

I use TextWrangler - does most of the things you describe, it will download files from your site for you to edit and upload on save or save to a local folder or save to another site, has all the colors, will balance, compare files, etc etc best bit is that it's free (but only for mac users :lol: )

My store is currently running Phoenix 1.0.3.0

I'm currently working on 1.0.7.2 and hope to get it live before 1.0.8.0 arrives (maybe 🙄 )

I used to have a list of add-ons here but I've found that with the ones that supporters of Phoenix get any other add-ons are not really neccessary

I use TextWrangler - does most of the things you describe, it will download files from your site for you to edit and upload on save or save to a local folder or save to another site, has all the colors, will balance, compare files, etc etc best bit is that it's free (but only for mac users :lol: )

ive never really seen the point in macs. i havnt seen anything it can do better than a windows computer

i managed to show our graphics designer what windows can do better, like "print screen". A mac has to save the image to disc when you "print screen" if i remember. windows just stores it in clipboard so you can paste it where ever.

being a designer she said: thats so much easier than a mac, and from a design point of view too.

i still havnt managed to convert a hardend Mac user over to windows sadly :(

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose there is one thing a windows computer can do better than a mac...

Get infected :lol:

If it comes to it I've seen nothing on a pc that is worth changing a mac for and yes I do use both ;)

I'm currently working on 1.0.7.2 and hope to get it live before 1.0.8.0 arrives (maybe 🙄 )

I used to have a list of add-ons here but I've found that with the ones that supporters of Phoenix get any other add-ons are not really neccessary

I suppose there is one thing a windows computer can do better than a mac...Get infected :lol:

Virus creators don't bother coding virii for Macs, simply because there aren't that many around to be infected by their creation. :D

Chris

Virus creators don't bother coding virii for Macs, simply because there aren't that many around to be infected by their creation. :D

Chris

This is true Chris and a very good selling point as well... :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

BBedit (the grownup version of TextWrangler) for HTML and Netbeans for PHP

The other thing I installed lately that is great for php development is MAMP (Mac,Apache,mysql,Php). Simple install gives you an instant webserver on your desktop machine to do testing of any php projects. I did not know that :)

Apparently there's also WAMP and LAMP

• 2 weeks later...

BBedit (the grownup version of TextWrangler) for HTML and Netbeans for PHP

The other thing I installed lately that is great for php development is MAMP (Mac,Apache,mysql,Php). Simple install gives you an instant webserver on your desktop machine to do testing of any php projects. I did not know that :)

Apparently there's also WAMP and LAMP

At the time I started using Textwrangler I just could not afford it's grown up brother (BBEdit) although I'd used it 30 days at a time ;) then I found TW or it had been introduced - can't remember which - and started using that, probably, if I gave BB another trial I'd buy as there are a lot more useful features on it than TW.

As well as MAMP, WAMP and LAMP there is also XAMPP (which I use)

I use Notepad++

Please read this line: Do you want to find all the answers to your questions? click here. As for contribution database it's located here!

8 people out of 10 don't bother to read installation manuals. I can recommend: if you can't read the installation manual, don't bother to install any contribution yourself.

Before installing contribution or editing/updating/deleting any files, do the full backup, it will save to you & everyone here on the forum time to fix your issues.

Any issues with oscommerce, I am here to help you.

I use Notepad++

i loved it when notepad++ came out, just what i needed. it really helped navigate code with color formatting but when your working on 5 files at a time not even 3 monitors could help me :)

• 2 weeks later...

I like Komodo from active state, not free, but has built in syntax checking and many other wonder tools. Available for windoz and linux systems..

Peter McGrath

-----------------------------

See my Profile (click here) for more information and to contact me for professional osCommerce support that includes SEO development, custom development and security implementation

Archived