• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Addon} Modular SEO Header Tags

kymation

Have added some of the modules but only product description is enable to test the results. When at a product an viewing the source code, it displays this:

<meta name="description" content=" HealthSmart 10pc 12-Element "Waterless" Cookware Set with Thermo Control Knobs.Each piece of this set is designed for those who need large capacity cookware with superior quality. The special highlight of" />

My question is what is causing the large gap between content=" HealthSmart

Below is the description:

HealthSmart 10pc 12-Element "Waterless" Cookware Set with Thermo Control Knobs.Each piece of this set is designed for those who need large capacity cookware with superior quality. The special highlight of this set is the unique thermometer knobs built into the lids to help you regulate cooking temperature. All items also feature stainless steel capped riveted handles and heavy gauge surgical stainless steel with mirror finish outside and satin finish inside. The extra thick impact bonded bottom spread heat quickly and evenly so you never have hot spots. Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Looking at my new post, it does not the large gap. So You may go here and then view the source code to see what I am referring to.

Edited by blr044

It's there because you put it there. Your text starts with:

<p>
HealthSmart 10pc 12-Element.....

That's a hard return and a tab. The module strips out HTML tags and returns but not tabs. There's only so much I can do to correct formatting errors.

In short: If you don't want the tab there, don't put one there.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

I can't do anything until someone starts answering my questions. I don't want or need to see any more "me too" posts. Answer or don't post at all.

Is it possible that the following coding is incorrect as it seems to call two Case sections before any code is called upon, as in should the Insert Product have it's own code individual to Update Product.

// Input titles and meta descriptions from the admin products/categories page
	switch( $action ) {
   case 'insert_product': // Process new/updated products title
   case 'update_product':
     if (isset($_GET['pID'])) $products_id = tep_db_prepare_input($_GET['pID']);

if( isset( $_POST['head_title'] ) ||  isset( $_POST['head_description'] ) ) {
       if ( $action == 'insert_product' ) {
         $sql_data_array = array( 'products_date_added' => 'now()' );

tep_db_perform( TABLE_PRODUCTS, $sql_data_array );
         $products_id = tep_db_insert_id();

The only way to be able to add new products is to remove the following code from the Admin/categories.php file as below

// Modular SEO Header Tags
 include( DIR_WS_MODULES . 'header_tags/categories_products_process.php' );

No, Insert and Update are handled the same way by the same code. See the Insert and Update code in the admin/categories.php file as an example of this.

Did you actually read the words you quoted?

Regards

Jim

Kimation, I checked other forums oscommerce in the world, all have the same problem.(6 users in this discussion equal problem)

No save new product, and impossible insert meta title and meta descriprion in to new product.

something is not working!!!

I've uploaded a new version to the usual place. Changes are:

• An attempt to fix the reported bug in catalog/admin/includes/modules/header_tags/categories_products_process.php. This involves a lot of guesswork, since I still can't reproduce this.
  • A new feature in the robots tag allows you to block spidering of pages with parameters set (such as sort). This will prevent duplicate page penalties on pages that have the same content.
  • Added a new author module.
  • Added a new copyright module.
  • Added a new language module.

Please let me know if the attempted bug fix works for you. I'm working on still more modules, but this is all I have time to finish right now.

Regards

Jim

I am not seeing what I am doing wrong. The Meta Tags Description for the front page, categories page and product page is what I want - looks fine. The title and description for the front page is the same, word for word. Even though in admin -> header tags, I have different text in for the title. The sort order is - title is 25 and description is 30. All pages has been removed.

So if any suggestions or tips, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Bennett

I wish I could understand what you are talking about. What modules are you using, and what are you seeing that isn't right?

Regards

Jim

Hi,

i found a bug. After installing the Module "Front Page - Description" and "Front Page - Title" the value in the DB is incorrect.

Table: configuration

configuration_key

MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_FRONT_DESCRIPTION_TEXT_DEUTSCH

MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_FRONT_TITLE_TEXT_DEUTSCH

It takes the incorrect Data field from the language-config in the admin.

If you have under edit language the name e.g. Deutsch and

the directory german it will takes the value "Deutsch" in the DB.

It's better the contrib will take the directory value for the "strtoupper( $language )" in "ht_front_title.php.

I wish I could understand what you are talking

Regards

Jim

Let see if I can:

Results when viewing source code:

INDEX PAGE:

-----------

<title>Our products provide high quality and durability for cooking fabulous meals. We offer the best selection of pot and pan sets, as well as specialty cookware sets. Our durable products come in aluminum, cast iron, enamel over cast iron, stainless steel and non-stick. Nothing is more important to your cooking experience than using the highest quality cookware.| GreatDiscounts4u- </title>

<meta name="description" content="Our products provide high quality and durability for cooking fabulous meals. We offer the best selection of pot and pan sets, as well as specialty cookware sets. Our durable products come in aluminum, cast iron, enamel over cast iron, stainless steel and non-stick. Nothing is more important to your cooking experience than using the highest quality cookware." />

PRODUCT PAGE:

-------------

<title>Precise 3.5qt Surgical Stainless Steel Oil Core Skillet</title>

<meta name="description" content="Item Number: KTOILCORE - Brand Name: Precise Heat - 3.5qt Surgical Stainless Steel Oil Core Skillet -This 120v, 1650 watt, 3-ply skillet features low dome cover, stay-cool handles and knobs and mirror finish for beauty and durability. The unique oil core " />

CATEGORY PAGE:

--------------

<title>Electric Skillets| </title>

<meta name="description" content="This versatile cooking tool is great for making food for any meal. You can use it for frying eggs for breakfast, simmering sauce for lunch and cooking a casserole for dinner. You can also roast, stew, sauté, sear, brown, grill or bake food in a product" />

So as you can see, the title and description tags for the front page is the same. Below Is how I have the header tags modules set up:

HEADER TAGS SETTINGS:

---------------------

Modules added | Enabled | Sort order

Category Meta Description - Insert | yes | 199

Category Title - Category Name | yes | 302

Category Title - Insert New | yes | 2350

Front Page - Description | yes | 30

Text : Our products provide high quality and durability for cooking fabulous meals. We offer the best selection of pot and pan sets, as well as specialty cookware sets. Our durable products come in aluminum, cast iron, enamel over cast iron, stainless steel and non-stick. Nothing is more important to your cooking experience than using the highest quality cookware.

Front Page - Title | yes | 25

Text : Great Discounts

Front Page - Store Name in Title | yes | 35

Other Pages - Store Name in Title | no | 2300

Other Pages Title - String | no | 2400

Product Meta Desc - Product Des | no | 200

Product Meta Description - Insert | yes | 205

Product Title - Model | no | 278

Product Title - Product Name | yes | 26

Product Title - Category Name | no | 275

Google Site Verification | yes | 1

I understand the way sort order is set up is important. Hope this help out a little better.

OK, so the front page module is the one that you are having problems with. Are you using the latest version? There was a bug in one of the early versions of this that caused descriptions to overwrite. Try replacing your includes/modules/header_tags/ht_front_title.php with the new one. You'll need to uninstall and reinstall that module to be certain.

Regards

Jim

Try replacing your includes/modules/header_tags/ht_front_title.php with the new one. You'll need to uninstall and reinstall that module to be certain.

Regards

Jim

Was using ver 1.3. So from the admin,I removed front page - title, also deleted ht_front_title.php from the catalog dir from server. Reinstalled ver 1.3. After clearing the cache and restarting browser, no change. So now I repeated above steps and used file from ver 1.2.3. Again, the title and description is the same for the front page.

Bennett

Search your configuration database for duplicate entries that have a key beginning MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_FRONT_. Delete any duplicates.

Regards

Jim

Find the configuration_value for the key MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_FRONT_TITLE_TEXT_ENGLISH in your configuration table. That's what you should be seeing on your front page.

Regards

Jim

the configuration_value for the key MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_FRONT_TITLE_TEXT_ENGLISH is Great Discounts up to 75%. But still Front page title is the same as the description.

Bennett

Edited by blr044

Look at your includes/modules/header_tags/ht_front_title.php. Lines 43-45 should look like this:

// If we are on the front page, set a title
     if( basename( $PHP_SELF ) == FILENAME_DEFAULT && $cPath == '' ) {
     	$head_title = constant( 'MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_FRONT_TITLE_TEXT_' . strtoupper( $language ) );

Regards

Jim

Thanks a lot. I corrected line 45 from:

$head_title = constant( 'MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_FRONT_DESCRIPTION_TEXT_' . strtoupper( $language ) );

To:

$head_title = constant( 'MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_FRONT_TITLE_TEXT_' . strtoupper( $language ) );

Front page meta tags displays properly now. Appreciate all of your help.

Bennett

That was a bug in older versions, now corrected. I thought that I fixed that in 1.3, but apparently it didn't get in. Sorry for my leaky memory.

Regards

Jim

It's there because you put it there. Your text starts with:

<p>
HealthSmart 10pc 12-Element.....

That's a hard return and a tab. The module strips out HTML tags and returns but not tabs. There's only so much I can do to correct formatting errors.

In short: If you don't want the tab there, don't put one there.

Regards

Jim

Hi Jim, just a FYI - I installed CKEDITOR as my preferred wysiwyg editor in 2.3.1 and it automatically formats the content exactly the way shown above - in other words, some of us are not adding it - its the editor.. For the sake of ease of use it might be worth stripping out the tabs in a future update.. (just for descriptions and articles etc)

Cheers

Pete

Edited by xmanflash

CK editor (and every other plugin-style editor that I have seen) is far from perfect. If you want the convenience, you have to accept some penalties. One of the penalties is weird coding practices.

On the other hand, it's only one character. I'll try adding a trim() to strip it out, but it's not really that significant.

Regards

Jim

Some people have reported problems with the Categories/Products Admin page after adding this. I've been unable to reproduce the problem, so I can't fix it.

Are you using the latest version of Modular SEO Header Tags? If not, please upgrade to Version 1.4. Does this fix the problem?

If you are already using 1.4, try installing the Product Description Insert module. You can uninstall it later if you don't want to use it. Does this change the problem?

Regards

Jim

Edited by kymation

Are you using the latest version of Modular SEO Header Tags?

Yes

If you are already using 1.4, try installing the Product Description Insert module. You can uninstall it later if you don't want to use it. Does this change the problem?

I can´t find "Product Description Insert" under Header Tags.

I have installed the following modules:

•  
  • Site Copyright
  • OpenSearch
  • Other Pages - Store Name in Title
  • Product Meta Description - Product Description
  • Product Title - Product Name
  • Product Title - Store Name

I am who I am, unfortunately.