• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Problem in new language, Lastest character shown �?

hassanayoub85

Dear,

I am facing a problem with arabic language, strange problem where all things are translated successfully, but in the category names, the last character in any name is replaced by ''.

You can check the website here www.altebbya.com/store and select the first flag(Lebanon) if it is not shown by default and then seeing the first category.

The word "أدوي" is composed from 5 letters, where the last letter is replaced by '', and it is a translation for "medicaments".

Note: the product name is shown correctly, the problem is only with categories names.

Any solution?

I don't see anything category-related that shows a x000F character, so I can't reproduce the problem. I'm using Firefox 3.6 and don't see a x000F character anywhere. What browsers have you tried? x000F is a control code "shift in", which is used after a "shift out" (x000E) is used to go from a single byte stream to a double byte stream, and brings you back to a single byte character stream. I see your character encoding is CP1256, which is Microsoft's single byte Arabic encoding. I don't know for sure if it uses shift-out/shift-in to expand to double byte characters (none of the pages describing it say anything about that). You could look in the raw database data and see if there is a x000E in the text. If there isn't, CP1256 probably ignores SO/SI. Anyway, what is the character encoding in your database? Is there any encoding conversion or mixed usage along the way? Have you changed encodings at any point? Did you cut and paste from a PC editor or word processor into a browser window? I'm wondering if at some point you were using a full double-byte Arabic encoding (with SO/SI), perhaps to edit your text, and a bad conversion was made to CP1256 which took out the SO but left the SI in the character stream.

There may be something in MySQL, or even in osC, which doesn't like the CP1256 character set. If not, it was hopefully just a bad conversion from some other encoding. If only the final byte of the category names was corrupted to a x000F, the easiest fix might be to use phpMyAdmin (or some other MySQL editor) to manually edit and update the category names, to overtype the bad character x000F with the proper character. Make sure that it's displaying in CP1256/Windows1256, so that what you type in is correctly encoded! You may have to set View > Character encoding in your browser. The table is probably "categories_description" and the field is probably "categories_name". See if you can update the text there. It would be a good idea to first make a backup of your database, just in case something goes terribly wrong.