Latest News: (loading..)
kymation

[Addon} Modular Front Page

1,410 posts in this topic

1. I believe that the carousel used to resize itself when the screen was resized. I have no idea why it would not do that. Unfortunately I don't have much time to look at these things right now.
  2. You should be able to target the images with some CSS to add a border. Yes, the structure is different from other carousels. There are about a thousand different ways to make a carousel, so chances are good that any two will differ.

Regards

Jim

2 hours ago, kymation said:
  1. I believe that the carousel used to resize itself when the screen was resized. I have no idea why it would not do that. Unfortunately I don't have much time to look at these things right now.
  2. You should be able to target the images with some CSS to add a border. Yes, the structure is different from other carousels. There are about a thousand different ways to make a carousel, so chances are good that any two will differ.

Regards

Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response.

1. I did not explain the first issue well enough. The carousel does resize but you end up with the entire carousel shrinking and the same number of products being displayed. So by the time you end up on a smaller screen you have squashed products. By comparison, the new products carousel reduces the number of products at different breakpoints so by the time you end up on mobile sized screen, it only displays 1 product. To restate my question to hopefully yes / no as I appreciate you are busy: 1) is  your featured products carousel  designed to work in that same way as the new products carousel module (in which case something is not working in my install), or not (in which case I can attempt to replicate elements from the new products carousel module).
  2. Thanks, I will try to do so.

Thanks again,

Peter

Sorry, but I just can't remember what it did. I remember checking that it worked correctly at several different sizes, but that's all. I don't have one set up to test right now, so I can't even go take a look.

Regards

Jim

Hello,
Oscommerce 2.3.3.4 english, french
php5.5.8

Modular Frontpage, a great contribution, congratulations to the author.
I would like to run the rotation on all the pages of the site.
I have browsed the 56 pages of the forum and I do not think I have found it.
If someone has managed to turn the rotation on all the pages, please pass the code to me.
Thank you.

I'm not certain what you are asking here. Do you want to have a module in the page body on every page? That can be done if the page is modular -- just copy the module files over to the corresponding directory for that page and install in the Admin.

Unfortunately 2.3.3.4 is very obsolete and not very modular, so you would have to make a lot of changes first. I suggest updating to 2.3.4 Responsive, which will greatly improve your store and allow for more changes like this.

Also, PHP 5.5.x is obsolete and dangerous to run. You should be on 5.6.x and preparing to move to 7.x.

Regards

Jim

On 06/10/2017 at 2:17 PM, kymation said:

Sorry, but I just can't remember what it did. I remember checking that it worked correctly at several different sizes, but that's all. I don't have one set up to test right now, so I can't even go take a look.

Regards

Jim

@kymation

Hi Jim,

RE Number of products not reducing when the screen shrinks, from above (refer images below)

I have spent some time looking at the differences between your Featured Products add on and Auzstar's New Products add on.  I was hoping to take the relevant parts of featured products code and put it into the latter add on which appears to handle the resizing. However the differences between the two add ons are too vast and has proven to beyond my limited capability.

In case there is a simple solution, I noticed that in Auzstar's new products add on, where where the javascript function is called, there is the ability to set the number of "slides" which appear for different breakpoints when resizing the screen. That does not appear to be in your addon. 

Is the solution simply to add the same code somewhere into your add on? Adding it into the corresponding section did not seem to work for some reason. (I copied the lines beginning with "items" below)

$(document).ready(function() {
  var owl = $("#fp-new-products");
  owl.owlCarousel({
      items : 4, // This variable allows you to set the maximum amount of items displayed at a time with the widest browser width
      itemsDesktop : [1199,4], // This allows you to preset the number of slides visible with a particular browser width. For example [1199,2] means that if(window<=1199){ show 2 slides per page}
      itemsDesktopSmall: [979,2], // As above
      itemsTablet: [768,1], // As above
      itemsMobile : [479,1], // As above
      autoPlay: ' . (MODULE_CONTENT_FRONT_PAGE_TEST_FEATURED_PRODUCTS_CAROUSEL_AUTOPLAY == 'True' ?

If it is not a simple solution then I appreciate you are busy and might not be in a position to update this add on for the functionality above.

However I was hoping that if the changes were simple you could perhaps point me in the right direction to figure it out myself.

Kind Regards,

Peter

A.jpg

B.jpg

@kymation

Hi Jim,

Good idea. Here is what I did:

1. Delete the following from Line 246:

visibleSlidesCount: ' . MODULE_CONTENT_FRONT_PAGE_FEATURED_PRODUCTS_CAROUSEL_MAX_DISPLAY . ',

2. At Line 243, insert the following so that it appears after "var slideshow_products = new Slideshow({"

items :  ' . MODULE_CONTENT_FRONT_PAGE_FEATURED_PRODUCTS_CAROUSEL_MAX_DISPLAY . ', // This variable allows you to set the maximum amount of items displayed at a time with the widest browser width
itemsDesktop : [1199,4], // This allows you to preset the number of slides visible with a particular browser width. For example [1199,2] means that if(window<=1199){ show 2 slides per page}
itemsDesktopSmall: [979,2], // As above
itemsTablet: [768,1], // As above
itemsMobile : [479,1], // As above

This solution worked for me. I borrowed code from auzStar's new products carousel add on and referenced the defined text for maximum products displayed above from your add on for the largest screen size.  It should now resize at the breakpoints described above (which of course can be changed)and show the corresponding number of images entered after the comma in the square brackets. The number of visible items at large screen sizes is still linked to the number entered into Admin for this add on.

The formatting is not great. Someone with better CSS knowledge can improve the way the images align as they do not align to the beginning (left) of the photo at smaller screen sizes. Also, I think this add on could greatly benefit from each slide appearing in a thumbnail so that it is consistent in appearance with the non-carousel "featured products" add on. Regrettably, that is beyond my skill set and my attempts thus far to introduce thumbnail formatting breaks the way the slides appear.

Edit: I just realised this post was my 666th...(shudder)

Peter

Edited by peterpil19

Thanks for the code. I'd love to go play with this, but I'm buried in work right now. Maybe in a couple of weeks....

Regards

Jim