• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Addon} Modular Front Page

kymation

1. I believe that the carousel used to resize itself when the screen was resized. I have no idea why it would not do that. Unfortunately I don't have much time to look at these things right now.
  2. You should be able to target the images with some CSS to add a border. Yes, the structure is different from other carousels. There are about a thousand different ways to make a carousel, so chances are good that any two will differ.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

2 hours ago, kymation said:
  1. I believe that the carousel used to resize itself when the screen was resized. I have no idea why it would not do that. Unfortunately I don't have much time to look at these things right now.
  2. You should be able to target the images with some CSS to add a border. Yes, the structure is different from other carousels. There are about a thousand different ways to make a carousel, so chances are good that any two will differ.

Regards

Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response.

1. I did not explain the first issue well enough. The carousel does resize but you end up with the entire carousel shrinking and the same number of products being displayed. So by the time you end up on a smaller screen you have squashed products. By comparison, the new products carousel reduces the number of products at different breakpoints so by the time you end up on mobile sized screen, it only displays 1 product. To restate my question to hopefully yes / no as I appreciate you are busy: 1) is  your featured products carousel  designed to work in that same way as the new products carousel module (in which case something is not working in my install), or not (in which case I can attempt to replicate elements from the new products carousel module).
  2. Thanks, I will try to do so.

Thanks again,

Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Support the Project, go PRO and get access to certified add ons

Full-time I am a C-suite executive of a large retail company in Australia. In my spare time, I enjoying learning about web-design.

Download the latest version of CE Phoenix from gitHub here

Sorry, but I just can't remember what it did. I remember checking that it worked correctly at several different sizes, but that's all. I don't have one set up to test right now, so I can't even go take a look.

Regards

Jim

Hello,
Oscommerce 2.3.3.4 english, french
php5.5.8

Modular Frontpage, a great contribution, congratulations to the author.
I would like to run the rotation on all the pages of the site.
I have browsed the 56 pages of the forum and I do not think I have found it.
If someone has managed to turn the rotation on all the pages, please pass the code to me.
Thank you.

I'm not certain what you are asking here. Do you want to have a module in the page body on every page? That can be done if the page is modular -- just copy the module files over to the corresponding directory for that page and install in the Admin.

Unfortunately 2.3.3.4 is very obsolete and not very modular, so you would have to make a lot of changes first. I suggest updating to 2.3.4 Responsive, which will greatly improve your store and allow for more changes like this.

Also, PHP 5.5.x is obsolete and dangerous to run. You should be on 5.6.x and preparing to move to 7.x.

Regards

Jim

• 1 month later...
On 06/10/2017 at 2:17 PM, kymation said:

Sorry, but I just can't remember what it did. I remember checking that it worked correctly at several different sizes, but that's all. I don't have one set up to test right now, so I can't even go take a look.

Regards

Jim

@kymation

Hi Jim,

RE Number of products not reducing when the screen shrinks, from above (refer images below)

I have spent some time looking at the differences between your Featured Products add on and Auzstar's New Products add on.  I was hoping to take the relevant parts of featured products code and put it into the latter add on which appears to handle the resizing. However the differences between the two add ons are too vast and has proven to beyond my limited capability.

In case there is a simple solution, I noticed that in Auzstar's new products add on, where where the javascript function is called, there is the ability to set the number of "slides" which appear for different breakpoints when resizing the screen. That does not appear to be in your addon. 

Is the solution simply to add the same code somewhere into your add on? Adding it into the corresponding section did not seem to work for some reason. (I copied the lines beginning with "items" below)

$(document).ready(function() {
  var owl = $("#fp-new-products");
  owl.owlCarousel({
      items : 4, // This variable allows you to set the maximum amount of items displayed at a time with the widest browser width
      itemsDesktop : [1199,4], // This allows you to preset the number of slides visible with a particular browser width. For example [1199,2] means that if(window<=1199){ show 2 slides per page}
      itemsDesktopSmall: [979,2], // As above
      itemsTablet: [768,1], // As above
      itemsMobile : [479,1], // As above
      autoPlay: ' . (MODULE_CONTENT_FRONT_PAGE_TEST_FEATURED_PRODUCTS_CAROUSEL_AUTOPLAY == 'True' ?

If it is not a simple solution then I appreciate you are busy and might not be in a position to update this add on for the functionality above.

However I was hoping that if the changes were simple you could perhaps point me in the right direction to figure it out myself.

Kind Regards,

Peter

A.jpg

B.jpg

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Full-time I am a C-suite executive of a large retail company in Australia. In my spare time, I enjoying learning about web-design.

Ignore,

I have since worked it out.

Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

@kymation

Hi Jim,

Good idea. Here is what I did:

1. Delete the following from Line 246:

visibleSlidesCount: ' . MODULE_CONTENT_FRONT_PAGE_FEATURED_PRODUCTS_CAROUSEL_MAX_DISPLAY . ',

2. At Line 243, insert the following so that it appears after "var slideshow_products = new Slideshow({"

items :  ' . MODULE_CONTENT_FRONT_PAGE_FEATURED_PRODUCTS_CAROUSEL_MAX_DISPLAY . ', // This variable allows you to set the maximum amount of items displayed at a time with the widest browser width
itemsDesktop : [1199,4], // This allows you to preset the number of slides visible with a particular browser width. For example [1199,2] means that if(window<=1199){ show 2 slides per page}
itemsDesktopSmall: [979,2], // As above
itemsTablet: [768,1], // As above
itemsMobile : [479,1], // As above

This solution worked for me. I borrowed code from auzStar's new products carousel add on and referenced the defined text for maximum products displayed above from your add on for the largest screen size.  It should now resize at the breakpoints described above (which of course can be changed)and show the corresponding number of images entered after the comma in the square brackets. The number of visible items at large screen sizes is still linked to the number entered into Admin for this add on.

The formatting is not great. Someone with better CSS knowledge can improve the way the images align as they do not align to the beginning (left) of the photo at smaller screen sizes. Also, I think this add on could greatly benefit from each slide appearing in a thumbnail so that it is consistent in appearance with the non-carousel "featured products" add on. Regrettably, that is beyond my skill set and my attempts thus far to introduce thumbnail formatting breaks the way the slides appear.

Edit: I just realised this post was my 666th...(shudder)

Peter

Edited by peterpil19

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Jim,

I installed a fresh bsgold 234. i could not get gary's slideshow to work -which is frustrating because i have it working on another site.

so i gave yous a try.

Banner Rotator Content Module
for Modular Front Page
for osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4
Responsive (Bootstrap)

Version 1.0.2
December 2016

I am getting duplicate sub categories . my categories_description structure and on the category page shown.

I am not sure where it is coming from.

craig

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

• 3 months later...

@kymation

Hi Jim,

First of all, thank you very much for your addons.

I installed BS version which has addons.oscommerce.com/info/9506 ( Add-On Compatibility support for OsCommerce 2.3.4 BS EDGE versions since September 2016 ).

the index.php is different, please find the code as below list.

can you please  tell me how to add your code into it.

echo $oscTemplate->getContent('front_page');

<?php
/*
  $Id$
	  osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
  http://www.oscommerce.com
	  Copyright (c) 2010 osCommerce
	  Released under the GNU General Public License
*/
	  require('includes/application_top.php');
	  $languages = tep_get_languages();
  $languages_array = array();
  $languages_selected = DEFAULT_LANGUAGE;
  for ($i = 0, $n = sizeof($languages); $i < $n; $i++) {
    $languages_array[] = array('id' => $languages[$i]['code'],
                               'text' => $languages[$i]['name']);
    if ($languages[$i]['directory'] == $language) {
      $languages_selected = $languages[$i]['code'];
    }
  }
	  require('includes/template_top.php');
?>
	    <table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
      <tr>
        <td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" height="40">
          <tr>
            <td class="pageHeading"><?php echo STORE_NAME; ?></td>
	<?php
  if (sizeof($languages_array) > 1) {
?>
	            <td class="pageHeading" align="right"><?php echo tep_draw_form('adminlanguage', 'index.php', '', 'get') . tep_draw_pull_down_menu('language', $languages_array, $languages_selected, 'onchange="this.form.submit();"') . tep_hide_session_id() . '</form>'; ?></td>
	<?php
  }
?>
	          </tr>
        </table></td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
        <td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
<?php
  if ( defined('MODULE_ADMIN_DASHBOARD_INSTALLED') && tep_not_null(MODULE_ADMIN_DASHBOARD_INSTALLED) ) {
    $adm_array = explode(';', MODULE_ADMIN_DASHBOARD_INSTALLED);
	    $col = 0;
	    for ( $i=0, $n=sizeof($adm_array); $i<$n; $i++ ) {
      $adm = $adm_array[$i];
	      $class = substr($adm, 0, strrpos($adm, '.'));
	      if ( !class_exists($class) ) {
        include('includes/languages/' . $language . '/modules/dashboard/' . $adm);
        include('includes/modules/dashboard/' . $class . '.php');
      }
	      $ad = new $class();
	      if ( $ad->isEnabled() ) {
        if ($col < 1) {
          echo '          <tr>' . "\n";
        }
	        $col++;
	        if ($col <= 2) {
          echo '            <td width="50%" valign="top">' . "\n";
        }
	        echo $ad->getOutput();
	        if ($col <= 2) {
          echo '            </td>' . "\n";
        }
	        if ( !isset($adm_array[$i+1]) || ($col == 2) ) {
          if ( !isset($adm_array[$i+1]) && ($col == 1) ) {
            echo '            <td width="50%" valign="top">&nbsp;</td>' . "\n";
          }
	          $col = 0;
	          echo '  </tr>' . "\n";
        }
      }
    }
  }
?>
        </table></td>
      </tr>
    </table>
	<?php
  require('includes/template_bottom.php');
  require('includes/application_bottom.php');
?>

Many thanks!  Lyn

@ce7 Hi Lyn, I think that's your admin index.php not your catalog one.

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

In the catalog-side  index.php find this code

<div class="page-header">
  <h1><?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></h1>
</div>

<?php
  if ($messageStack->size('product_action') > 0) {
    echo $messageStack->output('product_action');
  }
?>

<div class="row">
  <?php echo $oscTemplate->getContent('index'); ?>
</div>

and replace it with the above code.

Regards

Jim

22 hours ago, kymation said:

In the catalog-side  index.php find this code

<div class="page-header">
  <h1><?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></h1>
</div>

<?php
  if ($messageStack->size('product_action') > 0) {
    echo $messageStack->output('product_action');
  }
?>

<div class="row">
</div>

and replace it with the above code.

Regards

Jim

@kymation

Hi Jim,

Thank you so much!

Lyn

@kymation

Hi Jim,

Continue the installation, enable each module and test. There is a problem with " Front Page Customer Greeting "

Please find the image if I enabled it as below:

image.thumb.png.91069e1e44ab0a5c9b446c99ef2e14a7.png

and if i disabled it, the left column and new product rows all comes to normal.

image.thumb.png.8e9a8d947c25c577342a3dd56f53cb1d.png

How can i fix this issue?

And with the Text_main area, instead of going to the php file manually, is it possible to save this part into database, and customer who doesn't know the php can just login the admin/click on edit text page, and add the text there, and then save, and it save into database?

Thanks!    Lyn

It looks like your Customer Greeting module is broken. Try uploading the files again, and pay close attention to the directory the file goes into.

It's possible to put the text into the database, but this fails the first time somebody uses a reserved character -- usually an apostrophe. The osCommerce Admin restricts the way data can be saved, so this is not an easy problem to solve.

Regards

Jim

I am trying to install the NIVO Slide into BS Edge version, and it said need to installed modular front page and modular index first. With modular index, even download a brand new version and test it, it is still helpless, no idea why in admin has featured.php and slides_manager.php, but when you go to click on pages, all blank, enable the 9 modules from admin/module/home/  also make the front end all blank!!!

Just wonder any one install these two addons with NIVO successfully? Whole day long struggle with these 3 addons and not making them work, frustrated......:sad:

@ce7

Last time I checked the Edge version has already the index call inside the index.php file.

<div class="row">
</div>

So installing the Nivo Slider inside the index area should be straight forward. Just drop the files into the ..includes/modules/content/index/ folder and activate.
It depends where you want to show that slider header, footer, front page or index (isn't the front page and the index page the same? ) anyways, yeah just upload the right files into the right folders and activate or setup through the admin area.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/15/2018 at 5:14 PM, Tsimi said:

@ce7

Last time I checked the Edge version has already the index call inside the index.php file.

<div class="row">
</div>

So installing the Nivo Slider inside the index area should be straight forward. Just drop the files into the ..includes/modules/content/index/ folder and activate.
It depends where you want to show that slider header, footer, front page or index (isn't the front page and the index page the same? ) anyways, yeah just upload the right files into the right folders and activate or setup through the admin area.

@Tsimi  Haven't get time to reinstall again, will try soon. Thank you !

17 hours ago, ce7 said:

@Tsimi  Haven't get time to reinstall again, will try soon. Thank you !

Have post the comments for NIVO slide BS version on this link:

NIVO Slide BS seems not fully working yet, is there anyone who installed and make it works?

@kymation

Hi Jim,

I had installed JJSOR and carousel (JJSOR Carrousel slider for BS 2.3.4 | Apps Marketplace | osCommerce)
and I found after I installed the modular front page, JJSOR will no longer be able to enable. Anyway to make these two both working? 

Need to install slide / photo / video gallery addon for BS version, any suggestion that can work together with Modular Front Page?

Many thanks!     Lyn

The Modular Front Page Addon was written long before index page modules were added to the Edge distribution. Unfortunately the Edge version puts the modules in a different folder, so the modules are not compatible by default.

You can get around this by moving all of the modules into one or the other folder. If you have made the Front Page changes to index.php, move the files as follows:

• includes/languages/english/modules/content/index/  ->  includes/languages/english/modules/content/front_page/
  • includes/modules/content/index/  ->  includes/modules/content/front_page/
  • includes/modules/content/index/templates/  ->  includes/modules/content/front_page/templates/

If you do not have the changes to index.php, just reverse the above.

Regards

Jim

• 3 months later...

Hi, first let me thank @kymation for the great work done.

I use OScommerce bootstrap Gold and I have installed Modular Front Page and Front Page Carousel add Ons. They both work fine.

I have a bililingual web site and I need to show carousel banners according to the language chosen. So a customer who has chosen English language sees banners in English and a customer choosing Greek language sees the same banners but in Greek. I imagine two different banner groups have to be created by perhaps copying the Carousel Banner module and using it twice. So we can have one banner group for English and one banner group for Greek. The trick would be to make the English banners from e.g rotator_en banner group show only on the English part of the web site and Greek banners from e.g rotator_gr show only on the Greek side of the web site.

Any ideas how could one do this?

Thank you in advance.