• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Addon} Modular Front Page

kymation

You can't just copy everything. That won't work. This needs a new file, similar to the admin/modules.php, but with slightly different coding to find only the modules you want.

Sorry, but this is way beyond the help I can give in this support forum.

regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

• 1 month later...

Hi Jim,

Installed this on my development 2.3.3.4 site and all is good.

However, Im struggling with the stylesheet.css changes for the categories image boxes - no changes I make in the catalog/ext/modules/front_page/categories_images/stylesheet.css seem to have any affect on the way the boxes display?

For instance I have tried:

/*  Categories in the Categories Images box  */
.imageBox {
 width: 110px;  /* Width of each Category */
 height: 140px;  /* Height of each Category */
 padding: 5px 5px 5px 15px;  /* Padding between the category contents and the border */
 border: 10px solid #ff0000;  /* Border around each Category -- See the User's Manual */
 margin: 3px;  /* Margin between the Category border and other objects */
 font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;
 font-size: 8pt;
 background: #2C78B4;  /* Background color of each Category */
 float: left;  /* Don't change this */

To try to add a red box around the image - but no change.

What am I doing wrong?

Many Thanks

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

Thanks Jim,

I need to keep it as Grid - so I presume I need to make changes in the module php file

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

You can make Float look just like the Grid with a bit of CSS. Grid is just a table, so you'll need to add a class to it to be able to style it.

Regards

Jim

Thanks Jim,

I will take a look at that - I thought that this would function in the same way as your original Categories Image Box modification for osc2.2, but it seems to have lost some of its configuarability from admin.

Many Thanks

The module had to change to make it work with jQuery in 2.3.x. I tried to keep as much of the old functionality as I could, but modern websites depend a lot more on CSS, so I went with that approach. It makes the module a bit harder to style, but adds a lot more options for doing that styling. As usual, you have to give up some things to get more options.

Regards

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I've just installed this module, and I am really happy with the way my front page is looking! Thank you so much for this great add-on!

I am having a problem with my Scroller ... I love the look of it, but it does not scroll.

Any advice you could give to help make that work would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jewell

Edited by jeu4328

That's usually a Javascript problem. Using View Source in Firefox, click on each of the links in the Head section of the page in turn. If one of them gives you a 404 page, that file is missing and needs to be uploaded. If all of those files are OK, check the installation for missing files in the ext/ directory.

Regards

Jim

That's usually a Javascript problem. Using View Source in Firefox, click on each of the links in the Head section of the page in turn. If one of them gives you a 404 page, that file is missing and needs to be uploaded. If all of those files are OK, check the installation for missing files in the ext/ directory.

Regards

Jim

Hi, Jim:

I've done as suggested, and I did not receive an error message when clicking on any of the links in FireFox View Page Source. I also checked all of the files to make sure they were installed in the correct places, not only in this module, but in all of the modules I've added.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thank you,

Jewell

There must be some sort of conflict, possibly with something else that you have installed. Sorry, there's not much more I can do from here.

Regards

Jim

• 5 weeks later...

There's no way to use this scroller outside of osCommerce. However, there are many image scrollers available online, and it should be possible to use most of those on your eBay page.

Regards

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

You may need to adjust the width of the scroller. IE is picky about some things, and they don't render the same as other browsers. Maybe force IE to render as an older version?

Regards

Jim

No done that with the width it was more the overflow

I done the width issue in an extra ie stylesheet which was fine instead of width: 610px; which is standard the reason being ( I removed the column right )

my stylesheet being max-width:width: 720px

I had to change in IE to be 700px

For IE.stylesheet

#scroller{

max-width:700px

}

Which is fine it was just in IE the the scroller overflowed into the footer.php which is slightly modified thus giving an overlap in the

Copyright © 2014 XXXXXXX.com Powered by osCommerce or anything else in the footer now I have solved again by adding extra margin-top:'s in my IE.stylesheet was just wondering if it had been discussed before ??

Regards

Joli

PS: Slightly modified footer but think the problem is also on a standard footer 2.3.3.4

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

It seems to work better in IE if you are using a standard layout (both side columns). In any case, IE is often a pain. You'll find posts about problems in this thread and others that use similar scrollers. If your changes work, I would say keep them and move on.

Regards

Jim

Hi Jim,

Ok move on thanks was just wondering if I had missed a div somewhere, one mistake leads to another, going to put it down to an IE bug when the grid layout is changed ( maybe missed something in template top seem to remember an additional bit of code ) when changing column's/widths etc must check

Thanks

John

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

Usually errors like that will show up in other browsers as well. Another reason to always check with multiple browsers. You can use View Source in Firefox and look for tags in red, or use the W3C validator to check for broken tags.

Regards

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

I need to resurrect this Topic please. Post #633

This is the text in question' We do hope that you will enjoy your visit to our new store. We have a wide range of lovely things for the Day of your life. If we don't have what you want please get in touch with us. We hope to see you again. Have a lovely Day.' (ignore quotation marks please)

The original had an !, and HTML tags, ie <br/>. All this has now been stripped out as you can see. New installation: OSC 2.3.3.4. Front Page module as per your listings.

Thank you for any ideas you may have.

Martin

Edited by burlington

@@burlington Which Front Page module? The Text Main module? If that is what you meant, there is nothing there that strips out anything. Apostrophes/single quotes will cause problems because of the code used to store this text in the database, but HTML tags are considered normal text.

If you want me to test this out for you, post the exact text you are trying to store in an HTML code block in a forum post here.

Regards

Jim

Thanks Jim

Yes, it is the 'Text Main'. Interesting because the correct text shows on the website and it is also in the database BUT the text shown in the 'edit' panel for Text Main (not the main text entry box which now does not open) still shows your 'Enter the text that you want to show on the front page in english'

As for my message, this is what I wrote originally (apart from single quotes, apostraphes etc):

We do hope that you will enjoy your visit to our new store. <br/>. We have a wide range of lovely things for the Day of your life. If we don't have what you want please get in touch with us.<br/> We hope to see you again. Have a lovely Day.<br/>

Regards

Martin

ps yes, I know it is corny but I had to put something there for demo purposes ( it is a wedding accessory site!)