• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Addon} Modular Front Page

kymation

The next most likely explanation is that your configure.php files are misconfigured, probably as a result of moving the Admin. There's a thread here for help with the configure files.

regards

Jim

Thanks a bunch, I will start looking for that thread. Great module BTW ! Can't wait to get the 'featured' working.

I've uploaded a new version to the usual place. Get it while it's there. Since that link will probably become invalid in a few hours*, the file is also available on my server.

This fixes the bugs that have been reported in the Banner Rotator and Scroller modules. Please let us know if this fixes your problems.

Regards

Jim

* Note: "In a few hours" seems to have been replaced by "almost immediately." It's already gone. Use the alternate link.

Edited by kymation

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

I've uploaded a new version to the usual place. Get it while it's there. Since that link will probably become invalid in a few hours*, the file is also available on my server.

This fixes the bugs that have been reported in the Banner Rotator and Scroller modules. Please let us know if this fixes your problems.

Regards

Jim

* Note: "In a few hours" seems to have been replaced by "almost immediately." It's already gone. Use the alternate link.

Works great! Thanks

Regards

Jim

Just an FYI But there appears to be a small bug that only occurs when try to load the 10th module. The config screen is a bit confused with installing the last module, the display shows the config options for a module that has not been installed yet. It does not appear to be module specific.

Here is the error when you try to install the last module.

Warning: reset() [function.reset]: Passed variable is not an array or object in /nfs/c06/h01/mnt/88348/domains/store.trainingfx.com/html/tfxstoreadmin/modules.php on line 227

Warning: Variable passed to each() is not an array or object in /nfs/c06/h01/mnt/88348/domains/store.trainingfx.com/html/tfxstoreadmin/modules.php on line 228

I've tried this several times with different modules as the tenth and I can't make it happen. The code indicates that should only happen when you are trying to edit a module's configuration and no module is selected. I would have thought that was impossible. Sorry, I have no idea what's causing that.

Regards

Jim

Hi, I appreciate that the problem I am having with this contribution is in the realms of the obsurd, but I would very much hope that some assistance could be given, in so that I may be able to resolve this!

From what I can see, for the banner rotator and scroller module, the functions from their respective php files are not being pulled into the index.php main file.

Please could you assist me in working out why this is not happening!

At which point in the code, and from which file are the banner rotator and scroller module intiallized, i.e. brought into index.php?

And how is this done?

For whatever reason, the javascript and CSS code is not being brought into the header of index.php, hence the reason these modules are not working.

I can only guess that their is a programming error, in that, on some configurations, once it is triggered, their is no work around.

As I have said, the domain has been deleted, re-created, non tampered files uploaded, server rebooted, tried running php versions 5.2.13 / 4.4.9 in both CGI and ISAPI mode, rebooted the server.

If their is something else I must do, then please someone tell me!

I am asking for help and am exasperated by this.........................

Edited by mongoled

Example...

In text_main.php, I gather that this is the function that is responsible for initialising the module

function execute() {
global $oscTemplate, $language;

Now in banner_rotator.php and scroller.php the code is different

function execute() {
global $PHP_SELF, $oscTemplate, $cPath;

and

function execute() {
global $PHP_SELF, $oscTemplate, $cPath, $languages_id;

respectively

Now....I am only guessing, but something in the way these are initialised is causing my problems.

How do I troubleshoot??????

Why does banner_rotator.php and scroller.php require $PHP_SELF, what does $PHP_SELF do?

Edited by mongoled

I've tried this several times with different modules as the tenth and I can't make it happen. The code indicates that should only happen when you are trying to edit a module's configuration and no module is selected. I would have thought that was impossible. Sorry, I have no idea what's causing that.

Regards

Jim

No problem, its very easy to work around and it might be specific to my OSC. Great work on the module, its nice to see one actively supported :)

Kymation, I hope you can look at this and maybe provide an explanation.

Seems like I have stumbled upon a fix, but I dont know why or how, as I am not a PHP coder.

I was correct in my assumptions though :)

In banner_rotator.php, line 32

I changed

global $PHP_SELF, $oscTemplate, $cPath;

to

global $oscTemplate;

And viola, it is back working again! Only spent 9 hrs working this out! Would have been nice to have heard a comment from you with regards this, you could have saved me a whole load of time!

I havnt seen anything ontoward happening after this change.

Am trying to find a similar fix for scroller.php.

The most frustrating for me to understand, is why it was working for a while, then after stopped.

Only an experienced PHP coder may be able to explain this, something that I am far far from........

Yes, please post your changes or send them to me. I'll add the fix to the new version. Thanks for working on this.

Regards

Jim

OK, firstly the reason behind the anomolies in IE6

1/ In the file catalog\ext\960gs\960_24_col.css the width of the class is causing the problem in IE6

.container_24 .grid_24{width:950px}

I implemented a quick a slightly dirty fix (for some) in adding a style tag to the HTML, here catalog\includes\modules\front_page\banner_rotator.php line 86

$body_text .= '  <div class="grid_24 spacer" style="width:620px;"></div>' . "\n";

Tested this in IE6 / IE7 / IE8 / Firefox 3.6.9 / Opera 10.63

Now for my CSS tweaks to center the banner rotator, in catalog\ext\modules\front_page\banner_rotator\stylesheet.css

I changed

#bannerRotator {
 width: 620px;  /* Banner width */
 height: 150px;  /* Banner height */
 overflow: hidden;
 position: relative;
}

to

#bannerRotator {
 margin-top:5px;
 width: 630px;  /* Banner width */
 overflow: hidden;
 position: relative;
}

and

#bannerRotator ul li {
 display: none;
 position: absolute;
 top: 0px;
 left: 0px;
}

to

#bannerRotator ul li {
 display: none; margin:0 auto;
}

I understand that the widths are not the same, but it hasnt caused any problems to the working of the banner rotator

Hope this helps someone........

Edited by mongoled

AAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........................

I feel better now!

Found what was causing my issues, and now need to know if a solution exists.

This happened by accident, by the way.

http://www.domain.com/catalog/

IS NOT THE SAME AS

http://www.domain.com/catalog/index.php

!!!!!!!!!!

The banner rotator and scroller module DO NOT LOAD on the page

http://www.domain.com/catalog/

But if we load

http://www.domain.com/catalog/index.php

Everything is fine, so how do we fix this (will try to work this out myself!)

-- EDIT --

OK, I tried to put an OR statement after

$PHP_SELF == 'index.php'

like this

$PHP_SELF == 'index.php' || $PHP_SELF == '/'

But it didnt work, lol

I think I will just wait for Kymation to help with this!

Edited by mongoled

OK, firstly the reason behind the anomolies in IE6

<tweaks snipped>

Hope this helps someone........

Many thanks for posting this. IE6 is such a pain to get anything working on. I really appreciate the time and effort yo put into this.

I'll add the fixes to the master and upload a new version. Or try to.

Regards

Jim

<screaming snipped>

I think I will just wait for Kymation to help with this!

I'm not going to be much help here. That doesn't happen on my test server, so I have no idea why. Maybe try adding something like this to your root .htaccess file:

#Allow rewrite rules
Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine on

# Eliminate duplicate home page
RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} ^[A-Z]{3,9}\ /index\.php\ HTTP/
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ http://www.example.com/ [R=301,L]

Of course you need to change that example.com to your site domain.

Regards

Jim

Warning: constant() [function.constant]: Couldn't find constant MODULE_FRONT_PAGE_TEXT_MAIN_SWEDISH in E:\www\includes\modules\front_page\text_main.php on line 46"

on version "Modular Front Page 1.2.1"

no, i only have one language in oscommerce and that swedish.

Edit: I also get this error message with "Modular SEO Header Tags 1.2.2" on every "string" module.

Edited by snights

I can't duplicate this, so you'll have to do some investigating. Are you using the latest version of this Addon? Look in your database. Does that key exist in the configuration table?

Regards

Jim

I made a try at fixing the bug in the Text Main module. This is based on the code in the Modular SEO Meta Tags that I also fixed. Either both will work or neither will work. Please let me know which it is.

The download is in the Addons section.

Regards

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

can someone point out, where I should be looking to modify this contribution as to have an effect on the pages that display the categories?

i.e.

index.php?cPath=1

index.php?cPath=2

index.php?cPath=3

etc

When someone clicks on a category, the page that is dislayed looks like the old index.php, Ive been looking to see where this information is being pulled in from, but I havnt managed to work it out.

If someone could give a pointer where I should be looking that would be great.

This Addon affects the front page only. It has nothing to do with the Category pages.

There are Addons that modify the category pages, although I'm not aware of any for osC 2.3.x yet. You could adapt one of the 2.2x Addons with a little bit of work.

Regards

Jim

This Addon affects the front page only. It has nothing to do with the Category pages.

There are Addons that modify the category pages, although I'm not aware of any for osC 2.3.x yet. You could adapt one of the 2.2x Addons with a little bit of work.

Regards

Jim

Thats the problem, I havnt worked out what file the categories page is!

:blush:

I will find it!

Edited by mongoled

Hi,

Not sure if this has been mentioned before - sorry if it has.

But, the banner rotator module of this add-on will not work. It just displays all the banners I try to use (including the test one) on the page at once rather than rotating (or fading) through them.

Please can you tell me if there is a fix for this.

Thanks.

Joe

The banner rotator works just fine if you install it properly. I'm only guessing here, but it sounds like you failed to upload the files in catalog/ext/modules/front_page/banner_rotator/.

Regards

Jim

The Categories page is part of catalog/index.php.

Regards

Jim

Hi, OK, I have managed to get your addon to work on the categories pages i.e. index page with cpath > 0, in so that I can choose where your modular features appear independently.

Its now time to take a look at the v2.2 contributions that modify the categories under cpath > 0 etc, as I want to make that modular also.

You havnt by any chance made an attempt at this?

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by mongoled