• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Addon} Modular Front Page

kymation

I am still working on this. Great work.

I have a modified store, and I dont seem to get which parts of the catalog/index.php file that I must add, can you please post the additional line that we must add and where. I am new in this and would greatly appreciate your help

Felix

Many problems with the Flash carousel. The osCommerce Addon that I found uses code that is not legal to distribute on this site. I don't have the Flash authoring tools so I'm unable to design one myself. A search for free/open source components has come up empty so far. If anyone knows of such a package, please send me a link to it.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

I am still working on this. Great work.

I have a modified store, and I dont seem to get which parts of the catalog/index.php file that I must add, can you please post the additional line that we must add and where. I am new in this and would greatly appreciate your help

Felix

It's not an addition; it's a replacement. Replace all of the code between

<?php
 } else { // default page
?>

and

<?php
 }

require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'template_bottom.php');
 require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'application_bottom.php');
?>

What are you using to compare the files?

Regards

Jim

It's not an addition; it's a replacement. Replace all of the code between

<?php
 } else { // default page
?>

and

<?php
 }

?>

What are you using to compare the files?

Regards

Jim

Thanks Jim, I have just downloaded Winmerge and still trying to figure it it out itself.

But I've seen what needs to be changed and will be doing that manually for now. Will give feedback.

Otherwise it looks good. Thanks againg

Regards

Felix

Hi again Jim

Having made installed this, I get the following message;

Fatal error: Call to a member function getBlocks() on a non-object in /home/mysite/index.php on line 295

This is the last bit of code;

<?php

} else { // default page

?>

<div class="contentContainer">

<?php echo $oscTemplate->getBlocks('front_page'); ?>

</div>

<?php

}

?>

As stated in the instructions, this means that the osC 2.3.x template class is missing/not initialized/invalid. The only way I can see this happening is installing this addon onto an older version of osC that does not have the class.

If you installed an early version of 2.3 from Github, this class has changed in the released version. You need the latest version of the class to make this work.

Check your catalog/includes/classes/osc_template.php for this code at Line 37:

function getBlocks($group) {
     if ($this->hasBlocks($group)) {
       return implode("\n", $this->_blocks[$group]);
     }
   }

Regards

Jim

As stated in the instructions, this means that the osC 2.3.x template class is missing/not initialized/invalid. The only way I can see this happening is installing this addon onto an older version of osC that does not have the class.

If you installed an early version of 2.3 from Github, this class has changed in the released version. You need the latest version of the class to make this work.

Check your catalog/includes/classes/osc_template.php for this code at Line 37:

function getBlocks($group) {
     if ($this->hasBlocks($group)) {
       return implode("\n", $this->_blocks[$group]);
     }
   }

Regards

Jim

Thanks Jim, my bad didnt go back to you install instructions. will be getting back to it now

Early versions of 2.3 had a slightly different class. Look at the code that I posted above. If that isn't in your version, you have an old version and will need to update. This will affect the code that handles the boxes in the side columns as well, so you will need to update those as well.

Regards

Jim

The forum doesn't seem to want me to post today. Let's see if this works....

Wow, it did. Amazing.

Anyway, I've uploaded a new version. This one fixes some bugs in the Featured module. Replace your module if you're using Featured. Don't forget to uninstall first before replacing a module.

Regards

Jim

Edited by kymation

in the user manual pdf.. it states :

The changes to the existing file in this distribution are marked with // Modular Front Page

for single line changes and

// Start Modular Front Page

<code>

// End Modular Front Page

however in the index.php there are no comments at all ???

ive got it working no problems at all in 2.3.1.. and have added a few extra pages to it too.. works really well..

Steve

Edited by Steve9R

Yes, I accidentally left out those comments. Fixed now. I have another hew module running -- the side scroller worked. I just need to finish the instructions and I'll post it.

Regards

Jim

Edited by kymation

Version 1.2 has been uploaded to the Addons section. This includes a new module: a horizontal/side scroller. This box can be used as a specials, new products, or featured products module. It shows images of your products scrolling across the page. The most common options are provided as Admin settings.

This makes a total of 10 modules currently available. Anybody who wants to can add their own favorite front page addon as a module. If you need help figuring out the code, just ask. Please let us know hare if you upload a new module.

Regards

Jim

That's due to the database structure. The Admin uses the configuration database table to store the text, and that is single-language. Making it multi-language would require a major restructuring of the osCommerce admin. Not exactly modular....

Regards

Jim

I knew someone was going to ask that. This is a completely modular system, with (currently) 10 modules, each of which has up to 30 different settings, and each setting has anywhere from two to thousands of possible values. So, lessee, carry the two ... I think we can safely say that there are billions of different ways this could look. So, are you going to provide the storage for those billions of screenshots? And the team of dedicated testers to spend the next several years producing them? No? Too bad.... :-" :'( :(

Regards

Jim

Works great, thank you.

A feature I would like to see is, on both featured and new products to randomly show images that are predetermined by me, not scrolling.

Keep up the good work

Cheers

PS I have some modules installed if somebody wants to see it.

http://www.koolkatjazz.com/oscommerce-2.3.1/catalog/

Edited by pederb