• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

multimixer

Downloads page

It's true, we have version 2.3 now, thanks to the efforts of the official development team. And the efforts of many unofficial community members. Thats absolutely great, a huge step forwards.

Version 2.3 is the latest stable version of osCommerce, the version everyone should use for a production store.

Should the download page not reflect this? I think yes. I believe that it should be made absolutely clear what the latest version is and what people should use. And thats v2.3.

Going to the download page, I see that there is also and still version 3 available, and thats also good. But version 3 is not really ready for production use.

Is this clear on the download page? I think not. Since 3 is a higher number than 2.3 and the download link for v3 is posted after the link for 2.3, it makes still the impression that version 3 is the latest version. It says ofcourse "alpha", but how many people put attention on this? Not many I think.

So, my suggestion is:

- Mark version 2.3 as the latest stable version, and make a huge download button for it.

- Make a download section for "other versions" and in this section include version 3 and also the past version RC2a, each one marked properly what it is. Version 3 like "under development" and version rc2a like a "past version" or something. There are also many people I think that sill need some of the "old" files, to replace something, or to compare etc

Just some thoughts