• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Disappearing Categories

silklink

Oooh this is a strange one

I recently changed the name of one of my categories, which when you first look at it all is well. Until you select a category and the page refreshes and it somehow reverts to its old name

To add to this I added a new category. Same story. It is fine when you first go to the site. When you click another category the new category disappears off of the list

I have tried all this...

Refreshed Header Tags cache

Tried re-entering both categories

Tried viewing with different browsers to see if a local cache might be in play

Looked in the database at category descriptions to see if any trace of the old name was apparent

Can't think of anything else to try

Try for yourself and see if you get this issue: http://www.driftwood-gifts.co.uk/shop/

Keep an eye on 'Gifts for the Home' - changes back to 'At Home' and 'Greeting Cards' - disappears

In your admin reset the category cache or set set 'Use Cache' to false to see if it fixes the problem.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

In your admin reset the category cache or set set 'Use Cache' to false to see if it fixes the problem.

Many thanks Jim, setting Use Cache to false gets my categories back. When I set it back to True the issue returns

So now we know it is a cache issue, how do I reset the cache?

I can't see anything obvious in the Config menu, but in the Tools menu there is a Cache Control option. In there there is a Categories Box line. When I click the triangle link at the end of the line it doesn't appear to change anything - the Date Created remains the same and the issues remain in the catalog pages.

Could you advise please - I think I am on the wrong path

Thanks

I've also just seen some cache controls in SEO URLs that I tried refreshing, switching off, etc. I refreshed the Header Tags cache as well to see if there are conflicts of interest between the two add-ons. No joy :(

Cheers

Archived