• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to accept credit card in Australia

comstech

Ok, I know this has been asked before but the ones which I can find are from 2008 and older so I am unsure if the information or even the contribs still work today. I would like to use St George if possible

So I have the following questions

1. What / Who is the easiest provider to setup with IE St George or what

2. Am I right that OS Commerce can not connect directly with the bank ie St George

3. Does places like e-path offer paid installation / setup in os commerce - can not find anything on their web site

4. So based on the fact I do not having anything yet and are far from being a programmer what combination of contrib and bank would make an easy install

5. Not sure if I can ask this so if not please don't answer this one - what places in Australia offer paid gateway set-up and installation.

Thanks Troy

you can use PayPal, 2CO and other payment modules which available in Australia

Please read this line: Do you want to find all the answers to your questions? click here. As for contribution database it's located here!

8 people out of 10 don't bother to read installation manuals. I can recommend: if you can't read the installation manual, don't bother to install any contribution yourself.

Before installing contribution or editing/updating/deleting any files, do the full backup, it will save to you & everyone here on the forum time to fix your issues.

Any issues with oscommerce, I am here to help you.

Totaly love the lack of support in this area, have I not asked a question which is worth an answer are not other people having trouble with choosing a payment system

I was going to setup a St George hosted API solution but my hosting company has said no to rebuilding the C++ API

So I ask again what payment gateway works well and can be used on a normal cpanel shared hosting service. I have heard of ANZ e-gate can someone please point me towards the contrib I need to setup for this.

Or at least point me in a dirrection to get started.

Hi comstech,

I'll have a crack at ths for you ..

There's a great deal of competition in the market place for merchant accounts facilities. And bank loyality means very little in the final equation. The decision to approve a merchant account application and its fee/% cost structure to you, which is deternmined on a case by case basis, has little to do with how long you've been with your bank. But it has everything to do with how long you've been in business and what type of industry you are in (amongst other things) because the bank needs to calculate risk.

All merchant account applications I know of ask you for the bsb and account number of the account where you want funds depositied. This can easily be to an account you have with another bank. I have a manual merchant account with the Commonwealth Bank and get funds settled into my bank account with Westpac, no probs. Although I will be shifting everything to the Commonwealth sooon as Westpac are way behind the Commonwealth in so many areas, espeically understanding PCI compliance and security in general IMO.

So to answer your question directly I would suggest you shop around, get quotes etc. it also depends on whether you want to go real time payment gateway or manual payment gateway as those services need different types of merchant accounts - big difference in cost there too.

2. Am I right that OS Commerce can not connect directly with the bank ie St George

You need a payment gateway to act as the sender of data from your site through to the bank, assuming you are talking about a "real time" system that trascts online live.

Most banks have their own real time payment gateway systems that obviously connect to their own merchant account services but you can get third party ones too.

3. Does places like e-path offer paid installation / setup in os commerce - can not find anything on their web site

Yes. As far as I know e-Path offer a free courtesy professional instegration into oscommerce. I am using e-Path and the inexpensive eVolve Single manual merchant account from the Commonwealth bank even though I've been with Westpac for a little over 20 years and have all my accounts with Westpac.

4. So based on the fact I do not having anything yet and are far from being a programmer what combination of contrib and bank would make an easy install

This will depend on which way you want to go, real time or manual. Some like real time because it is automated and if you are doing big numbers of transaction daily there's really no better way, but you don't have any control and geez its an expensive system. If your oscommerce cart transmits the credt card data to your real time gateway then you will also need to go through the process of obtaining offical PCI compliance certification for your site, its IP, the dedicated server its on and the network its connected to. Whatever you do don't try and operate any type of ecommerce venture online and accept credit cards without PCI compliance, trust me on this, just don't.

I've gone the manual way, overall it is much cheaper, gives me total control over what I enter into my manual merchant account, is more secure and you can also use your banks manual merchant account to charge credit cards that also come to you over the phone and or fax. e-Path are also PCI compliant so I am accepting credit cards online in compliance to PCI - without having to lift a finger or pay anything extra.

5. Not sure if I can ask this so if not please don't answer this one - what places in Australia offer paid gateway set-up and installation.

Sorry, can't help you with that one.

Not sure if any of this info helps but I hope it does.

HP

Edited by HappyPappy

Hi comstech,

I'll have a crack at ths for you ..

There's a great deal of competition in the market place for merchant accounts facilities. And bank loyality means very little in the final equation. The decision to approve a merchant account application and its fee/% cost structure to you, which is deternmined on a case by case basis, has little to do with how long you've been with your bank. But it has everything to do with how long you've been in business and what type of industry you are in (amongst other things) because the bank needs to calculate risk.

All merchant account applications I know of ask you for the bsb and account number of the account where you want funds depositied. This can easily be to an account you have with another bank. I have a manual merchant account with the Commonwealth Bank and get funds settled into my bank account with Westpac, no probs. Although I will be shifting everything to the Commonwealth sooon as Westpac are way behind the Commonwealth in so many areas, espeically understanding PCI compliance and security in general IMO.

So to answer your question directly I would suggest you shop around, get quotes etc. it also depends on whether you want to go real time payment gateway or manual payment gateway as those services need different types of merchant accounts - big difference in cost there too.

You need a payment gateway to act as the sender of data from your site through to the bank, assuming you are talking about a "real time" system that trascts online live.

Most banks have their own real time payment gateway systems that obviously connect to their own merchant account services but you can get third party ones too.

Yes. As far as I know e-Path offer a free courtesy professional instegration into oscommerce. I am using e-Path and the inexpensive eVolve Single manual merchant account from the Commonwealth bank even though I've been with Westpac for a little over 20 years and have all my accounts with Westpac.

This will depend on which way you want to go, real time or manual. Some like real time because it is automated and if you are doing big numbers of transaction daily there's really no better way, but you don't have any control and geez its an expensive system. If your oscommerce cart transmits the credt card data to your real time gateway then you will also need to go through the process of obtaining offical PCI compliance certification for your site, its IP, the dedicated server its on and the network its connected to. Whatever you do don't try and operate any type of ecommerce venture online and accept credit cards without PCI compliance, trust me on this, just don't.

I've gone the manual way, overall it is much cheaper, gives me total control over what I enter into my manual merchant account, is more secure and you can also use your banks manual merchant account to charge credit cards that also come to you over the phone and or fax. e-Path are also PCI compliant so I am accepting credit cards online in compliance to PCI - without having to lift a finger or pay anything extra.

Sorry, can't help you with that one.

Not sure if any of this info helps but I hope it does.

HP

Based on personal experience, if you go with the Commonwealth Bank, you will be bled dry with their charge back fees. The offer the seller no protection, even when they authorise the transaction. They are just unaccountable, and uncontactable. Ned Kelly was hung for less than what they do.

Based on personal experience, if you go with the Commonwealth Bank, you will be bled dry with their charge back fees. The offer the seller no protection, even when they authorise the transaction. They are just unaccountable, and uncontactable. Ned Kelly was hung for less than what they do.

But that's exactly the same with any other bank.

If you are with Westpac, NAB, ANZ, St George or any other merchant account provider, and they tell you the transaction you did six weeks ago through their system turned out to be fraudulent, the money is taken back out of your account and you are charged a charge back fee. It is the same for all banks.

Funnily enough this is one of the reasons why I changed from live online credit card payment processing system and went manual, I get to check things first and I am in control over what is charged into my merchant accout. The result is I haven't processed a fraud payment since going manual. 100% fraud free so I don't even know what amount the Commonwealth charges as a charge back fee cause I've never had to pay it :D

HP

Edited by HappyPappy

You should look into the osCommerce add-on "iCharge Australian Secure Online CC Payment", which is a web payment service "designed for the Australian market". For more information or to download, go to http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5478 to see if this could be a possibility for you. If that does not work, consider installing the "eway payment module". For further information, go to http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1356. I hope these options can help you solve your current dilemma. Best of luck.

Mailware - Multi Channel Manager

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I know this has been asked before but the ones which I can find are from 2008 and older so I am unsure if the information or even the contribs still work today. I would like to use St George if possible

So I have the following questions

Thanks Troy

Hi Troy

I'd say that their is no real easier bank to set up with over another, each bank has security concerns with merchant's accepting credit cards.

The tier 1 banks in Australia all have comprehensive merchant services, ie ANZ, Westpac, NAB, Com Bank

You'll need a merchant account, and a payment gateway (Payment Express) to process transactions from your site to that merchant account.

If you'd like, feel free to send me an email with any questions you may have about getting set up....email : richard.harding paymentexpress com

I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

Rich

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I'm little confused have average knowledge.

I want to accept credit card details online in Australia - I have oscommerce 2.2rc2a site with 100 products - I also have a 256 SSL cert.

Now my question is what can i use and what is my cheapest option to accept these CC payments als are there any contrubutions the way I see it now your looking at about 300 bux + to setup up a gateway etc.

Ari

Ari,

If you setup PayPal, they charge .30 transaction fee plus 2.9%. PayPal should already be a payment module on your website that can be enabled from the admin area.

Chris

Hi Chris,

thanks for your quick response - yeah I noticed paypal was to be best option.

do I still require a SSL cert if i get the pro plan where the customer doesn't leave my site for payment

Regards

Ari