• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Account Verification

Hi,

I'm sick to death of people creating fake accounts on my site! :x

Thinking they were just eager to try out my site and play around, i created a seperate DEMO site! Nope, they can't be bothered using that one, they want to make fake accounts on my production site! :x :x :x

For those interested, i have the demo site using the exact same product takes as the production site, so they look identical, although the who's online and orders etc. are in seperate tables, it works quite well...if they'd only use it! :roll:

I have no time to create the mod i want, i've wasted so much time already on stopping these people... But here's what i'm looking for anyway...

I'd like a mod for the account creation setup, which is much like the other verification mods that don't allow a user to login unless it's been checked. I think this would be better if the user had to open the email, and click on a link within it to activate the account.

Not sure how tough this would be, i'd assume you could just dissect another script that does it, with the permission of the owner of course! 8)

If anyone would like to help me develop a mod like this i'd appreciate it.

Add a field ... customers_verified tinyint 1 to the customers table

Next, add into application_top.php a validation that if not logged in and not customers_verified they are redirected to a nice page that says you are not verified ...

When you, the Admin gets around to verifying them, then if they click a link they will now be free to roam about the store and shop.

Also, you can turn off the store or leave peices on and maybe hide the prices so when the click links that will take them back to the waiting_for_approval.php page, then they see the store ... but no prices ... and are teased into wanting you to approve them ... :D

just a thought, not that i know how to write it, but what about creating a list of banned names - most people who create demo accounts always seem to use names like test, qwerty, aaaaaaa, demo, etc.... a name validation routine could check the name entered against the list.

if you force the user to wait until the admin validates them, it could put people off from shopping at your site since they want to purchase then and there

it does seem to be a problem for everyone, but there has to be a solution that does not turn away people who want to buy now...

just my 2 cents...

Man what kills me is why the hell havent i posted something like this before?!

At least 80% of all account has fake info.

Then when an order is placed either the shipment is returnned to me or the customer complains that he/she hasent recieved their order yet.

Horrible enough is when their order is sent back to me i have no way to contact them at all.

Worst of all is when they paid for a expensive shipping then havent to tell them that you need an extra shipping payment to resend out their order.

Ide like to see some mod where they have to confirm their shipping address before they place their order with maybe a checkbox which to agree that their shipping address is corrrect so they are fully responsible for any extra shipping fees or problems that may happend according to their valid information provided.

Something like the must agree to terms mod with the Shipping & Returns link info with the checkbox.

Was just working on some modifications to the "must agree to terms v03" mod.

Instead of showing one that he/she must agree to the conditions of use they also must confirm that their delivery address is correct or edit the delivery address.

If the dont check the box then they are taken to the checkout shipping address where they can edit or submit a address where their order will be delivered to.

Since i couldnt get the 2 (conditions of use and confirm delivery address) side by side to work ive intergraded them in a simple click and confirm order process.

Anyways you can try it out and please back up your files.

This mod enables the store owner to force customers to confirm their shipping address in order to purchase.

It will work only with the new checkout procedure (1st nov. snapshots or later)

cool....

here are the changes

in catalog/checkout_process.php roughly line 39 add the following before // load selected payment module

// check for shipping confirmation  

if ($HTTP_POST_VARS['confirm'] != 'true') { 

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING_ADDRESS, 'error_message=' . urlencode(ERROR_NO_SHIPPING_CONFIRMED), 'SSL')); 

} 

in catalog/checkout_confirmation.php (line 334 or somewhere there) right after the line which reads

echo tep_draw_form('checkout_confirmation', $form_action_url, 'post');

add

echo SHIPPING_ADDRESS_CONFIRM;

echo tep_draw_checkbox_field('confirm','true');

?><br><br><br>

<?php

in catalog/includes/languages/english.php add the following around line 205

// Shipping Confirmation

define('SHIPPING_ADDRESS_CONFIRM', '<center><b>I accept ' . STORE_NAME . ' <a href="conditions.php" target="_blank">Conditions of Use</a> and <a href="shipping.php" target="_blank">Shipping & Returns</a> policies. <br>I confirm the above is my correct delivery address.</a></b><br>');

define('ERROR_NO_SHIPPING_CONFIRMED', 'Please confirm your delivery address is correct. Your order will not be processed without a valid shipping address.');

for additional languages, please just put the last lines into your german.php / italian.php ect. and translate...

Coolz!

You might want to change the agree to terms text

define('SHIPPING_ADDRESS_CONFIRM', 'confirm text here');

define('ERROR_NO_SHIPPING_CONFIRMED', 'error text here ');

which go in the english.php

BTW, If you have the must agree to terms mod installed then simply replace where it shows you to add.

This community has so many great minds!

The idea of making them click a confirm link within an email would confirm at least the email address, and it would do a great job in verifying the account straight away, so if they do want to order right away, they just have to check their email...

that agree link for the shipping address is an excellent idea. If i ship goods and it's returned they must pay the shipping again... it gives us a chance to tell them before they make the mistake and waste our time.

as for the blocked names, thats easy... i've already done something basic:

if ((strtolower($firstname) == "john") && (strtolower($lastname) == "smith")) {

$error = true;

$entry_firstname_error = true;

$entry_lastname_error = true;

}

I just placed that after the normal name validation in the 'create_account_process.php' file.

keep up the great ideas :)

• 4 months later...
Add a field ... customers_verified tinyint 1 to the customers table

Next, add into application_top.php a validation that if not logged in and not customers_verified they are redirected to a nice page that says you are not verified ...

When you, the Admin gets around to verifying them, then if they click a link they will now be free to roam about the store and shop.

Also, you can turn off the store or leave peices on and maybe hide the prices so when the click links that will take them back to the waiting_for_approval.php page, then they see the store ... but no prices ... and are teased into wanting you to approve them ... :D

I need it! Did you get to that part of your "list" , by any chance? I don't know how to code, I just take things apart and stuff this here and there, so dont know enough to do this kind of thing. But this is exactly what I need for my wholesale store. This and user authentication for EVERY PAGE.

Thanks!