• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Second time Round

Mort-lemur

Ok,

Its 12 months or so since I last asked for feedback, so here goes again.

I know the look and feel is almost stock OSC, but that works for me - Im not selling high tech gear that would benifit from a high tech site.

I also know the whole site is on SSL - but that works for me as well

Interested in comments on useability really, and any ideas that could make it more user friendly.

Sorry, if you are not in the UK, Europe or in the US then you may not be able to access the site.

site address: suppliesforsmallholders dot co dot uk

Thanks

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

I've been working on a particular shop quite a lot recently, and one of the main changes we made was to add an extra page after the person adds a product to the cart.

This page asks "what do you want to do next", and has "show cart", "checkout" buttons - but the main change is that it also shows "customers also purchased" (which we've removed from the usual place in the product_info page). If there is no "customers also purchased" relationships, then it shows some other products that they might be interested in. It is in effect, an `upsell` page.

Now, I wasn't sure about adding it, as it adds an extra step in an already quite long checkout procedure. But the client wanted it, so added it was. Sales have increased by quite a margin, so I was quite surprised.

I won't link the site here, as that would be unfair on the site owner. But if you want to see it in action (the shop sells somewhat similar products to yours), email me.

The first comment I would make after visiting your site is that the main image looks very pixeley/grainy so it doesn't give a good first impression.

I don't like the fluorescent green with black text. I realise why you may have chosen a green spot of colour but a toned down green with white font would look much better, in my view.

As for the side columns, the fact that they don't reach the bottom of the page makes the frontpage look a bit unfinished. I also noticed that on the right column, you have a delivery/shipping inf box amongst boxes about products. I would keep the products on one side and the admin/info bits on the other side. It would look a bit more organised and consistent.

Finally, I had some reservations about the way your categories and subcategories are arranged. I know nothing about your business/sector, so please do forgive the next criticism if there is a genuine, business-related reason why you've organised your products the way you have. I found that for instance, when clicking on 'Pigs Items' and 'Crates & Pens' it takes me to a list of products. But if I click on 'Feeders& Drinkers' it takes me to 2 further categories: Equestrian and General Livestock, which is great if you are trying to save your potential customers time when looking for a product. But when I clicked on General Livestock, the first product showed a horse using the product, which I think defeats the point of the split between the two categories in the first place.

I have a similar issue with the Farm Record Books. When I clicked on the image, it took me to a page when it said Farm Records Books (again!) and Business/Accounting Books. Why not call the category something more generic like 'Business Books'?

When looking at the product pages, I found some pictures enlarge to a good decent size but some others stay small or get enlarged but pixelated - not good. I also noticed different types and siez of font in your product pages (e.g. the font in the pig's wormer info page is totally different from the text on the page for sheep marker spray and the product page for the breeding and service record book for pigs shows yet a different type of font in a different size.

I hope you don't mind my honesty but I'm afraid your site is a bit of a mess. Consistency is a total must on an ecommerce site, not only to ease the eye of the customer and help him/her go through your various pages to the end goal in as few clicks aspossible, but also to help establish your business image/identity.

I hope this helps.

Ouch!! but thanks

The first comment I would make after visiting your site is that the main image looks very pixeley/grainy so it doesn't give a good first impression.
- Noted - I will try to make sharper - but keep page load times down.

I don't like the fluorescent green with black text. I realise why you may have chosen a green spot of colour but a toned down green with white font would look much better, in my view.
- again noted, I will look at that in due course

As for the side columns, the fact that they don't reach the bottom of the page makes the frontpage look a bit unfinished. I also noticed that on the right column, you have a delivery/shipping inf box amongst boxes about products. I would keep the products on one side and the admin/info bits on the other side. It would look a bit more organised and consistent.
Ok I will add more side boxes to the right to stretch to the page bottom. This is the area I use to grab attention - so Im happy for the shipping cost banner to stay with the products banners.

Finally, I had some reservations about the way your categories and subcategories are arranged
- Some of the items are dual use - the horse one you talk about can also be used for sheep - hence it is in both categories. Some categories deserve sub-categories, others dont, I have tried to minimise the number of clicks required to find a product to two or three maximum - and it seems to work.

When looking at the product pages, I found some pictures enlarge to a good decent size but some others stay small or get enlarged but pixelated - not good. I also noticed different types and siez of font in your product pages
- Font sizes noted - I will trawl through and standardise (hazard of cut and paste I think) as far as pictures are concerned, I reaslise some are not good, but in a lot of cases Im stuck with what the manufacturers provide.

I hope you don't mind my honesty but I'm afraid your site is a bit of a mess.
- A bit harsh I think personally, needs tidying maybe? Needs Polishing?

Thanks

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

Ouch!! but thanks

- Noted - I will try to make sharper - but keep page load times down.

- again noted, I will look at that in due course

Ok I will add more side boxes to the right to stretch to the page bottom. This is the area I use to grab attention - so Im happy for the shipping cost banner to stay with the products banners.

- Some of the items are dual use - the horse one you talk about can also be used for sheep - hence it is in both categories. Some categories deserve sub-categories, others dont, I have tried to minimise the number of clicks required to find a product to two or three maximum - and it seems to work.

- Font sizes noted - I will trawl through and standardise (hazard of cut and paste I think) as far as pictures are concerned, I reaslise some are not good, but in a lot of cases Im stuck with what the manufacturers provide.

- A bit harsh I think personally, needs tidying maybe? Needs Polishing?

Thanks

Please don't take it personally. Just trying to help but sometimes you have to be brutally honest :-) Good luck with the site, hope business is good.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the green is ugly. It's soooo 1997. Also, it way to flashy and my eyes basically only see the green vs. the product pictures.

The header needs reworked. The image quality is very low and gritty. Also what's up with comodo seal being copied into it? It looks out of place, especially if you know what a trust seal is. If there is a real trust seal, place it into one of the columns don't fake it.

The top horizontal menu tabs are nicely placed. Could you increase the font size a tad?

Archived