• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Just Need some advice on my shop.

tomsdiecastcars

Hi,

i have a website (t o m s d i e c a s t c a r s dot com)(no spaces) and i have done everything so instructed.

- Add Location

- Take off annoying text

- take off the counter at bottom

- purchase ssl (currently being installed )

- take off annoying login information thats not needed

- put conditions and policy page

- all items have very nice pic and descriptions

all the things like that

but when ever i go on there i tend to think it doesn't look good is that just because i look at it alot? well i guess i am just asking if you guys think it looks good?

thanks, tom

It's better than 80% of sites seen in this section. It is still very osCommercey.

Get some inspiration by searching Google for "oscommerce hot 100". The top 20 or so are designs that take osCommerce to a new level, and are usually made by designers rather than shopowners.

As Burt said, it's better than most. Still a fairly stock look, but there's nothing wrong with that. My opinions:

• The "Welcome Guest!" line is useless and dated.
  • The text in your main graphic on the front page looks blurred. It's also being pulled in from Photobucket, which is odd and a bit dangerous.
  • The "This product was added to our catalog on...." line is also useless, unless there are dated differences in the same product.
  • There are a lot of boxes in both columns, which makes the page look cluttered. Having nearly-invisible borders and box headers makes this worse.
  • All of your pages have the same Meta Title, which will hurt your search engine rankings. Add one of the header tags Addons and use appropriate titles and descriptions to boost your rankings.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

It's this code in catalog/index.php:

<tr>
           <td class="main"><?php echo tep_customer_greeting(); ?></td>
         </tr>
         <tr>
           <td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td>
         </tr>

Lines 300-305 in a stock copy of 2.2RC2a.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

• 2 weeks later...

Good clean looking website but agree with others above in that it looks very much osCommerce. You may want to do a little bit of tweaking, shifting things around or changing some of the wording in menus, etc., to personalise it a bit.

Also, I don't see the purpose of the 2 basket images on your front page. Firstly, the black basket next to your 'NEW' product at the top is not even clickeable, so it's totally redundant. Likewise, the big white basket in your History of Hot Wheels' doesn't do anything and visually it doens't really go with the rest of the image. I would remove both baskets altogether.

Finally, regarding your 'Why buy here' box: (i) it covers part of the flying car image (History of Hot Wheels),(ii) it's not centered and (iii) the red text looks rather 'cartooney'. I think it would look better if the two boxes were adjacent rather superimposed, and had links to separate parts of your website. At the end of the day what you say in the text box doesn't have anything to do with the history of hot wheels, so it should probably link to either your shipping page or to your reviews.

Good effort though. I hope this feedback is of help.

Archived