• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Matt's Outdoor Supply I WILL RETURN FEEDBACK =)

ace21gabriel

Well I have been hard at work on my newest osCommerce site called Matt's Outdoor Supply. The link is www.mattsoutdoorsupply.com please check it out and let me know what you think. I know it's still pretty simple default design but I have a few mods on it and need ideas for what else I should add. If you leave me any feedback and would like me to leave you some, please post a link to your site in your reply, thanks!

Also, if you have a facebook please use the feature for liking my site on there too if you would be so kind!

Hi Matt

Your site is pretty generic. At first glance I got the impression you sold bank robber supplies. LOL!

The page needs to be wider and also needs an infusion of color. You should consider using outdoor images to spice up your offerings.

I was in the same boat you are in now but I found help in the form of a guy known as surfalot here on the forum. seek him out, he will not let you down.

Matt

You need to invest some time and effort in making your site more appealing.

I would never buy from you because you do not have an ssl certificate & I can't find your address easily anywhere on the site.

Your products are more important than face book. On a portable I can not see your products without scrolling down, so I'd shift the fb section to the bottom of the page.

Try reading the posts on how to make an awful site in my profile and from there how to make an awesome site.

Good start and you are up and running, now to make it stand out and make you a million.

HTH

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Thanks for the tips guys, I made the site wider, but im not sure if its wide enough now what do you guys think? And I am working on getting a logo and then I will change up the colors a bit to match the logo, and I will work on some about us pages with our address and such as well.

Also about the SSL, I plan on purchasing that when I have completed everything else and want to officially launch the site. But we will get that shortly too.

Don't forget to fill in the shipping, conditions, and policy pages. The other guy is right its not really appealing if you want a logo made i can do that for you and probably wont even charge you :)(although it wont be like mad professional) see mine: Toms Diecast Cars .com

• 2 weeks later...

Wow you do have some work to do to make your store stand out from the rest.

Why not add a bit of colour. Many changes can be made in your stylesheet. Get rid of the grey and addd something that matches or compliments your header colours.

Make your left and right columns wider soo that all the categories text fits on one line.

You have Home and catalog in your header. They both go to the same place. Remove one of them.

You have made the effort to replace the standard buttons, but the ones you have made are terrrible. The text does not centre making the button look odd. There are sites about, if you search for oscommerce buttons, where you can design and make better buttons than yuo have.

You need to add more info to your information pages, and you also need to use a spell checker. In your about us page you have spelt business wrong.

Why do you need my date of birth when creating an account. Unless you are going to send me a birthday card, get rid of it. People do not like giving more information than they need to.

You need to add more to your product descriptions. They are a bit short and dont sell the product. remember that you can use HTMl in your site to add things like paragraphs.

You need to add some onsite SEO. There are contributions that will help you.

That will keep you busy for a while, if you take any notice of it all. My only other advice would be to google for your main key words and see what your competitors are doing with there site. I would bet you now that there site looks and feels so different to yours.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Hi,

As the comments above, with a BIG addition - Do the security fixes, especially the ones relating to renaming your admin.

See the security pinned threads.

I use sites that are slightly "Spiced up" stock OSC and they work great - I want people to concentrate on my products rather than a fancy brash template. - But colours need to be used and the site needs to sell and feature the products.

Thanks

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyones suggestions, I am taking them all into account and going to start working on them, but steve, how exactly do I remove the catalog link on my site, which page do I have to edit to do that? You also say I need onsite SEO I already have a few SEO mods installed what exactly are you talking about? And I need dob because I do plan on doing Birthday coupon codes in the future.

Have a look at this thread HERE. It answers all the most common questions asked and will tell you how to remove the top link.

Your product info pages have no meta tags. How are people going to find your products in the search engines.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Archived